What are you listening to? The world really needs to know. #6 (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
:D That's a beautiful track from The Slider album - practically perfect in every way, not so destined for the singles chart, but all the better for it.
Didn't think T Rex was so well known in the US.

Two proper bona fide:) poems put to music, that do the poems justice, I think:
Abel Meeropol's Bitter Fruit and John Cooper Clarke I Wanna Be Yours (second stanza changed but, with permission):

[This video is unavailable.]

Didn't think T Rex was so well known in the US.
The only track that made any real noise here was Get it On (what we lot refer to it as), and that was all over FM radio in '71 and '72 and still gets significant play on classic rock stations (if I can bring myself to listen to the same 50 songs over and over, which is rare). Truth is, while I've known of T. Rex since '71, I didn't realize until just a couple of days ago how many tracks I knew and just didn't realize they were by T. Rex. Songs like Metal Guru, Jeepster, Telegram Sam, and 20th Century Boy; all good to great tracks that got some play but never any real traction. I'm almost certain that I had never heard Ballrooms of Mars until the other night when I posted it here after surfing youtube for a bit. I saw the title of the song and thought "that has to be a great song." I wasn't wrong.

I've known of T. Rex since '71, I didn't realize until just a couple of days ago how many tracks I knew and just didn't realize they were by T. Rex. Songs like Metal Guru, Jeepster, Telegram Sam, and 20th Century Boy...
T Rex are excellent. Classics are "Electric Warrior" and "The Slider", those albums and the tune "20th Century Boy".

T Rex are excellent. Classics are "Electric Warrior" and "The Slider", those albums and the tune "20th Century Boy".
I've ordered those two from ebay, so those are on the way. 20th Century Boy was a single-only track for a while, but it's included in the re-released Tanx CD. I'm just doing some research to figure out which one to buy.

I'm still trying to figure out how I missed the boat on them for so long. Then again, I resisted the "Dylan is really awesome" comments in high school and college and only came around in Autumn of '85 - I was driving around somewhere and A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall came on the radio and the light went on very brightly. I nearly drove off a bridge. Same with Zappa, but that took many more years.

Last edited:
"Automatic" didn't hold up very well for me. I liked it at the time but now I prefer "New Adventures in Hi Fi"

Are the rest of you able to view these videos here? Since Saturday, they've not appeared and just show as blank white rectangles with a small O with a diagonal line through it in the top left corner.

Did you try another browser? This is going to work best in Chrome or Firefox. There hasn't been a forum upgrade in a few weeks...

I've used IE for the past 15 years with very few complaints. And up until this past weekend, I had no problems accessing embedded videos. I'm not sure I'd even know how I could "try" chrome or Firefox. I had to have Firefox installed on my work computer to properly use a virtual 32-bit computer on my computer, but I don't have it here at home. If Chrome = Google Chrome, I found that to be the most user unfriendly thing I've seen in some time (tried it on my wife's laptop when she had it "upgraded;" that being an extremely relative term).

Maybe I'm out of luck, but I can't believe that I'm the only one having this problem. I'm just not that special.

Are the rest of you able to view these videos here?
I'm not sure, since I've never played any of them. But I see the little YouTube television screens* (unfortunately). Firefox 32.0 here.
*these take quite some time to load on my old laptop

P.S. I'm not really interested in what other people like to listen/like to have other folks think they're listening, I regularly click on this thread only to keep the Movies, music, TV, art subforum shown as read. :p
If there was an "mark this thread as read" option I'd never check it (like I never check the similar threads on other forums). Really.

I've used IE for the past 15 years with very few complaints.
If all you ever ate was McDonald's hamburgers you might also say, "I'm still alive, I can't complain." But you'd be missing out. ;)

IE has always been a few years behind the curve where browsers are concerned. And of course a few years here is a meat world lifetime. They are the last to adopt new technologies. Ask any site designer - we have dozens of lines of special code to try to coax IE to do things every other browser does natively. Back in the day people (me) would add code that detected IE and show those users a different page that basically told them to go download Netscape. It was that bad.

You can live a happy life using just IE, but you're seeing a different web than the rest of the world. If you're cool with that, hey, good. I have to use IE at work (4 tabs open), but it runs alongside Chrome (5 or 6 tabs open) and Firefox (12 tabs open), and I also open Opera every few days if I have to test something on a different browser.

You can live a happy life using just IE, but you're seeing a different web than the rest of the world.
It looks a if accessing via chrome allows me to see the videos. However, I'm not sure I'm seeing a different web than the rest of the world. The site looks exactly like it did a few days ago when I could see the videos here when accessing via IE. I suppose I'll just use chrome when coming here and try it out occasionally to see if it really offers anything better than IE. Thanks for the help.

The site looks exactly like it did a few days ago when I could see the videos here when accessing via IE.
Because the software does a lot of internal juggling to make it look the same in IE. Other sites/software may or may not.

IE is a lot better than it used to be, but it still has problems. If it didn't, the subject wouldn't have come up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back