What are you listening to? The world really needs to know. #7 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
have you heard this version with brian singing lead?
Doesn't sound terribly different than what they released, does it. Maybe not surprising since his brother sang on the record. Those Wilson boys and their delicate voices. ;)

Maybe I'll get to hear the 64 year old Brian Wilson sing it when we see him at the Hollywood Bowl in July, since Carl Wilson isn't available to do it. They're doing the entire Pet Sounds album live. Not something I'd normally go to see/hear, but what the hell. We'll sit on the hillside on a warm June night and vibe, as the kids say.

And okay, the pants in that clip are pretty cool. They look like they're ready to go meet KISS...

Mike Love. Ugh. Can't stand even looking at that annoying dick. A good singing voice, otherwise he seems to be a douche.

Here's a song James McMurtry wrote for the ongoing presidential nomination campaign (or whatever you call it).

heard this on my lunch break...and a bunch of other 80's UK new wave...My "punk" band in high school used to mangle this one.

re watching the vid I'm reminded that I can't dance for shit. I used to dance like a dude version of that girl. Ouch.

Last edited:
one of the only ways to convince people who hate jam bands that some of it is great

The leaves seen through my window pane
Remind me that it's time to move my life again
November sun is felt by none
A chilly breeze has blown my thoughts to what's to come
A cup of warm coffee, some vitamin C
A bowl for the cat, a bowl for the dog, a bowl for me
Choose my bluest tape and unlock my car
An honest tune with a lingering lead has taken me this far

On the edge of the porch in the warm evening night
Throwing the bone for the dog I see two passing lights
Well, I wonder where that driver's bound
Is there someone, somewhere, someway out there that I've not found
A touch of smoke ain't what it seems
Dust and sunshine can also make my eyes look mean
But there's a brown cat sleeping through this day's show
Toppin' off the woodpile, breathing slow

what a strange tune.

heard the barbarians but never heard that before.

Untitled-1.jpg

My eldest's (almost 12) new favorite tune. He plays it three times in a row every time he plays it. Both boys are so proud they know all the words. I'm not sick of it yet. Soon though.

Here's a classic from Johnny Cash I forgot about. Heard it in the trailer for the movie "Killing Them Softly". The movie looks good too, based on the novel Cogan's Trade by George V. Higgins.

I increased the default display size of the embedded videos. Let me know if it causes any problems or slows things down. It shouldn't, but you know how it goes.

Watched Synth Britannia Doc about the rise of the machine in the UK from early prog/art/kraut rock and film soundtracks( A Clockwork Orange etc.).
Listening to Being Boiled, it sounds like the main theme from John Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13th, which sounds the way it does due to budget constraints rather than aesthetics, nonetheless the spare soundtrack seems to have influenced a lot of synth based musicians to follow.

[This video is unavailable.]
(Assault on Precinct 13 (1976) - Main theme)

Here's a classic from Johnny Cash I forgot about. Heard it in the trailer for the movie "Killing Them Softly". The movie looks good too, based on the novel Cogan's Trade by George V. Higgins.
p.s. The movie is good, very good.

I wore that Whigs CD out. Figuratively. It still plays fine. I was exaggerating for effect, to show how much I listened to that CD.

Did I over explain that?

Early contender for my favourite album of 2016:

Hey, he's still flamming out. Every time he announces a show, there's odds in Vegas about whether he'll show or not. And no, I'm not joking.

When I listen to some of those Sly and the Family Stone records I can't help thinking (over and over again), "This is some real fuck you music!" and I like that. You just know the other people in the studio were wondering what the hell was happening during most of it. It's like nothing else. It's perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back