What are you listening to? The world really needs to know. #7 (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
no i heard the gosdin brothers do it and found this version on YT.

btw -

Last edited:
Neko does Bowling Green.

and Don't Forget Me w/ Garth Hudson

Last edited:
Rockin' and rollin', fo sho.

Funny thing about this "rock and roll" track is you could put a Jamaican on it singing Ska, and it wouldn't have sounded out of place in the 1960s.

I saw a re-enactment of this song as performed at the Mercer Art Center on the tv show Vinyl. Cheesy but I watch it anyway.

I wasn't at the Mercer in 1972, 73, but I feel pretty confident in saying that Dolls fans weren't running through the streets, stomping on cars and turning over trash cans on their way toward the entrance of the place. It was New York City after all, please show some decorum.

The first episode of that show really bugged me, but it is so campy-cheesy-over-the-top-ridiculous that you can't help but like it. It's about capturing a spirit after all, it isn't meant to be a documentary. There's a looooong and boring discussion about it on another forum, and oh, the wailing and gnashing of teeth over the inaccuracies and unrealistic way everything is done!

"Oh my god - they're not even cleaning the records before they play them! Fuck Martin Scorsese!"
"Sorgonsen didn't make the P113Ta2 turntable until 1979! What a bunch of shit!"
"I don't watch TV. I didn't spend $10,000 on speaker cables so I could waste my life on such pablum. We should be talking about Electric Light Orchestra."

Oh, lord, it's tragic. Ha ha ha. If you think this forum is bad, spend 10 minutes over there. You'll want to kill yourself.

But as I pointed out over yonder, an accurate show about the record business would be an hour of people looking at spreadsheets and talking on the phone every week, so I'll take this melodrama and historical hodgepodge over that any day.

and if we're lucky the show will better introduce good music to people and (sorta) put some of it in historical perspective. If I'm not mistaken Legs McNeil has written about the fact that at shows like that the crowd was only the same 10 to 15 messed up misfits whether it was Blondie, The Talking Heads, the Dictators or the Ramones playing, not a rock room full of in-the-know hipsters.

Yeah, it was like that everywhere, for a long time. I know when I was on the road playing the punk rock that we'd see the same people every time we went back to a city. We kept an address book so we'd know which floors we could sleep on. "Thursday is Chicago - Mort, call Spaghetti Jim and tell him we'll be in town..."

@hoochmonkey9 showed me an article about First Avenue in Minneapolis and it said something about the same 250 people who used to go to the Longhorn going to the new 7th St. Entry when it opened up, and the same people went to all the other clubs in the cities where punk rock bands would play. Though it was probably less than 250 people. Those audiences didn't really expand out into the general public until the 90s.

It was that way in college and post college when I saw A LOT of small bands here in Philly...Marah, Bigger Lovers, Alex Chilton, Arches of Loaf, Superchunk, GBV, Blues Explosion... well, small, you know what I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back