What are you listening to? The world really needs to know. #7 (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice lyrics from a new Mellencamp tune...

Untitled-1.jpg

This song has been swimming around the old brain pan all day driving me nutz!

And then this stumbled in and saved the day

Last edited:
This is actually a song that has held up over time.

But shit, what a weird video. And the reason the song has held up is the bass line, but that's totally in the background here.

Just on the edge of getting old...

^ That's a prototype of what they played at Kezar Stadium on 3/23/75, which was released on the bonus disc for the Band Beyond Description boxed set.

The whole Stronger Than Dirt thang starts to come into focus at about 8:00.

Last edited:
Marc Benno is the other guitarist in that pic that played on the L.A. Woman lp w/ the Doors. Put out some good music on his own. Here's a great record I have that he did with the late great Leon Russell.

[This video is unavailable.]
(Leon Russell & Marc Benno - Asylum Choir II (full album, vinyl))

I bought that Siamese Records 45 when I was a teenager. Somehow it survived the night I drunkenly Frisbee'd most of my punk 45s into the Venice night. I still have it.

I don't remember why I threw the records out into the neighborhood, but I must have had a reason at the time. Or maybe not. Someone walked out their front door the next morning and found my rare copy of City Slang in their garden. I hope they got some enjoyment out of it.

For the record (get it?), I didn't hear any glass breaking as I tossed them, so I don't think anyone was hurt.

I bought that Siamese Records 45 when I was a teenager. Somehow it survived the night I drunkenly Frisbee'd most of my punk 45s into the Venice night...

Sounds like you were enthusiastically embracing the coming CD era ? If so, I salute you. I held on to all my vinyl for no good reason until the mid-2000's. Put the record collection and turntable out in the alley for the neighborhood hipsters. I hope they enjoyed the K-Tel Hits collections and Bachman Turner Overdrive.

Put the record collection and turntable out in the alley...
I did essentially the same thing by selling it all off piecemeal. You know, except for what I tossed out into the void. The death of a thousand cuts is what it was.

Now, like a lot of old people, I have bought it all back. Some of those LPs I bought for $8 and sold for $1 or $2 are costing $30 or $40 (or more) to replace now. When they can be replaced.

It's funny you should post this while I'm playing (and recording) an LP that is not available on CD.

stereo.jpg

I don't lock up anything man, I'm not part of that oppressive system! :emo:

I have a modern, space-age, electrostatic record cleaning brush, but I usually find myself reaching for the ancient Discwasher. And pulling the brush out of the bottle hole.

That's actually an old record cabinet the turntable and cassette deck are sitting on. I have about 150 LPs and 12" in there, and it could easily hold 50 more. Craigslist FTW!

P1030803.jpg

Last edited:
Love that old rotary phone. My son saw one recently and had to ask how to use it!

Years ago while zapping I saw parts of a movie about a gay musician who was forced by his family to marry a woman or something.

Couldn't remember the story but I remembered this one scene where they argued during a family dinner and the musican ran away, leaving you to believe that this was it but then he suddendly returns with his clarinet and plays for the whole family, which kind of breaks the tension.

While this might sound kind of douchey and probably is I remembered it because up to then I thought the clarinet is one boring ass instrument for stiff orchestras and shit. But this was the most awesome sounding clarinet I'd ever heard, like haunted and screaming and like a blues instrument.

Finally I found the movie I saw, obviously a french film called Man Is a Woman (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_Is_a_Woman).

The guy who did the music is Giora Feidman.

Long story to say this is one kick ass clarinet!

My son saw one recently and had to ask how to use it!
Not surprising. People who come over sometimes pick it up to make a joke, then are usually shocked to hear a dial tone. Like some long lost mating call that they remember making them feel good...

They're great though. They work when nothing else does. We were without electricity for 24 hours a couple weeks ago, and we were sitting in the living room listening to something on NPR on the portable radio, and I looked the phone and said to Carol, "We should make some prank calls." It inspires that kind of thought in you.

yeah we have two landline phones in the house. but not a cool black retro one like that. i'll have to hit the local thrift stores and pick one up.

great for power outs as you said.

If anyone digs Harry, the RCA Albums Collection Box set is a must-have.17 CDs for about $70. There are a few clunkers, but there are very, very many gems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back