What are you listening to? The world really needs to know. #7 (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
monk.jpg

This has been in my head all day.

It's Curt Almstead, aka Curtiss A, To Be Happy Too, the opening track on his 1980 album Courtesy. According to Twin Tone, the album sold 1,679 copies, so you may not have heard it before. I thought everyone in the twin cities had the record, but as I recall there were more than 1,679 people living there at the time.

I've always liked Porter in the way I like Earnest Tubbs -- I actually saw him at the Grand Old Oprey. But I never liked him as much as I like this song, that I heard for the very first time this morning. This is classic... Shit...

I've liked Juliana Hatfield since the Blake Babies days. She's putting out a tribute lp to Olivia Newton-John in April. JH turns these pop tunes into power-pop guitar tunes. I can dig it.

I'm listening to a lotta crap. Dude next to me in his cubical is playing lots of mid-late 90's radio stuff thru youtube. The occasional okay song. Ugh. Good dude, not enough good tunes. And I can't put on my earbuds. I'd zonk out & get no work done. So, instead I'll stare out the window at the sideways rage-ing snow until 5pm.

The Generation X debut came out today in 1978. Stumbled upon a few lps from 78 I have so did a dig & realized it was a good year for tunes. The Cars 1st, The Clash: Give 'Em Enough Rope, Elvis Costello: Armed Forces, Blondie: Parallel Lines, David Johansen, Tom Waits: Blue Valentine, Bruce: Darkness On the Edge of Town, DEVO: Q: Are We Not Men?, The Stones: Some Girls, The Jam: All Mod Cons. But I'm dickin around at work and listening to Gen X.

I just happened to see the Zombies on CBS Saturday Morning today and was really impressed at the shape these guys are still in. I know there are only 2 original members, but it's not like they had young kids backing them up. They played several other songs as well. I can't say I was ever a big fan, but considering they started out in 1958...

Skating Polly. I don't think I've ever heard anyone overlap the chorus and verse of a song before. At the end of this:

The first rule of holes
Stop digging
First step of getting out of a hole
Stop digging:

Can you hear that harmony?
I can hear it in my sleep
I can hear it even louder in outer space:

Sassy with a seriously hot trio. Funny-ish story, this dual-CD was a favorite of mine back in the '90s and one Saturday back in those days, I was seeing a show at the Village Vanguard and Buster Williams was the bass player. At set break I went back to the bar to chat with the band (y'see, most jazz cats don't mind that) and after I mentioned that I played double bass, Williams asked me what I was listening to at the time. I threw out a few artists and then said, "but what I dig the most right now is Sassy Swings the Tivoli. She's rockin' it and the bass player is great." Well, as it turns out Buster Williams is credited as Charles Williams on that release so I had no idea that I was actually talking to the bass player from those shows. We all got a pretty good laugh out of that. In retrospect, at least I didn't say "yeah, great release but the bass player sucks." :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back