What are you listening to? The world really needs to know - III (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to mention the Junior and the Mustang. They probably couldn't afford to buy back those guitars today.

Too bad there isn't any viddy; Sassy could just rock the house on up numbers like this. The bass player on this date is a young Charles Williams, who became better known as Buster Williams. The only reason I know this (not being smart enough to research it back when I got the CD) is that I saw a gig at the Village Vanguard back in the 90s sometime and on a break, I was chatting with the group and mentioned how much I dug Sarah and the whole Kirk Stuart trio at the Tivoli in '63. The bass player smiled, "That was me, you know."

Well, that was so good:

[This video is unavailable.]

And yes, mjp; them axes ain't $325 anymore.

Like many female jazz singers of the 40s, 50s, and 60s (wait; even today??), Sarah was pretty much forced to re-do the pop stuff to make a buck for the talentless money-makers at the record companies. Even then, she could kill it:

Better yet, she still had enough in the tank to come back with shit like this to satisfy her soul:

Sorry for the pops and clicks - I wanted to find a viddy of Sweet Georgia Brown that absolutely melts your teeth, but I'll have to listen to that myself.

Thesethingstoo.jpg

Second track:

Janis Joplin - Ball and Chain

"death of Hendrix did not bother me. Janis Joplin death particularly saddening, terrible to me because to put it
shittily, I related to her. she had the courage of a mountain, understand? don't worry about vocal chords...wrote an 8 or ten page tribute to the guts of Joplin but so filled with love, I had to destroy. [***]"

(Living on Luck, p. 117)

Last edited by a moderator:
Off Topic:

"When his friend Peter Edler invited him to read at The Bridge, a book store off Hollywood Boulevard, Bukowski said yes. The date was set as Friday 19 December, 1969 [...]​
The evening was such a success, Peter Elder invited Bukowski back the next night to do it all over again."​
(Sounes: Locked in the arms, p. 102f)​

So, two readings must have been planned in advance, rather than a second one happening just because the first one was 'such a success'.

Thanks for that, solo. I sure hope the good folk smart enough to cough up a whole one dollar got their money's worth. $1 - Christ!

Back on topic:

Been sort of quiet on the forum for a few days. Liven it up with a little 70's funkiness - forget the cowbell, give me more talk box? mouth organ? whatever that damn thing is called at 2:24.

Went digging for some music (looking for a cd by The Jam) and dug up these that I haven't listened to for a good while.
English Settlement by XTC:

And a best of cd that has one of my favorite covers:

In recent years I've come to appreciate the Buckley boys. When Jeff was alive I couldn't stand him - I mistakenly cast him as poster boy fodder for the lonely teenage girl crowd. Wrong! Grace is a great record and then you think of what might have been:

Browsing another forum I took the time to listen to this song. And I found myself thinking, what a damn good song.

Johnny Wakelin & The Kinshasa Band, Black Superman, a novelty song that's been bouncing around in my head for 36 years.

Tiny Tim - Tiptoe through the Tulips

Why there hasn`t been any ultra slow motion splatter-gore-torture scene to this song in any David Lynch movie I truly don't understand.

Who you callin' a cocksucker, you cocksucker? (Lenny Bruce anyone?)

Lots of songs come to mind. Here's a rioting top ten from Time of all places.

Personally my guilty pleasure is Generation X (one of those "folk devils/moral panics" from years gone by).

That, or this gem that accurately portrays the English:

(Actually, I'm half deaf in one ear from a sinus cold that's fucking entered my eustachian tube. Mostly I hear Metal Machine Mucus.)

In the Afterword to the 1997 edition of Neil and Me by Scott Young Scott is told by a Glaswegian that Neil once busked in Glasgow near the train station. Scott eventually asks Neil to confirm this and Neil says yeah, he made about a pound. And it was filmed. I guess this is a portion of the film.

I've always had this habit of making a beeline for a person's music-book-movie collection to snoop at what they listen to -read-watch. It's a compulsion I can't help - especially with the 1st visit. When younger it was narrowed down to records and books. A girl's collection of records usually consisted of these: at least one Emerson, Lake & Palmer record was a certainty, ABBA, Fleetwood Mac, Carole King's Tapestry - check, Nick Drake, James Taylor, Bob Seger's Night Moves, Hall & Oates - sweet Jesus, please don't play that, Peter Frampton's live record, Melanie, Van Morrison's Moondance or Astral Weeks and so on. Now some of these records I liked but it was typically on the secretive side. And then I think of things I had them listen to while cruising aimlessly about for hours and can only conclude that women folk are far more durably patient. The point of all this babbling is I stumbled upon a song I hadn't heard for ages - the last time was long ago on some girl's record player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back