What are you listening to? The world really needs to know - III (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The credit guy was baked - he credits Charles Miller w/ sax, not flute.

I've always dug this tune, and the flute part is hot, but I must say, the live version has a hotter groove than the studio version, which is always the sign of something special.

Wu Tang Forever - Wu-Tang Clan

This is one of my favorite pieces in my LP collection, pretty rare. Anyway, it's 4 LP's, and seems like it's 6 hours long! But, still, excellent.

wu.JPG

Here is my fave track from the album, it's called "Reunited" and though the video looks a bit dated, I think this may be one of thee greatest hip hop songs ever!

Reunited - Wu-Tang Clan

Pearl - Janis Joplin
I have absolutely no idea what made me put this on to end the weekend, but in any event Cry Baby is on right now, and it's making me feel like I picked a good record to end the weekend, afterall.

janis.JPG

[This video is unavailable.]

Well this takes me back to junior high, 1972, Master of Reality. Apparently Ozzy played Vancouver tonight. I had to work. Noticed that Iron Man was being played during timeouts at the B.C. Lions/Saskatchewan Roughriders playoff game Sunday afternoon. The kids next door, and their band, used to play that in their car port around 1975. Ozzy is/was everywhere. And Tony. And Bill. And Geezer.

California Jam! Ha ha. Forever imprinted in my memory is Ritchie Blackmore's carnage at the end of that show. Smashing a grand total of three strats, a television camera, setting the stage on fire and dragging huge Marshall amps and cabinets to the edge of the stage and flinging them down onto who knows what (or who). It was more than indulgent theatrics. If it had been for show he would have stopped after one guitar. Or maybe two. The lad was known to have anger issues, and he seemed intent on destroying everything he owned that night. Classic.

You mean this?

I honestly have never seen this California Jam footage before. Might have seen photos in something as vital as Circus or Circus Raves.

By then I'd started listening to the Velvet Underground and the Stooges. Lou had the Walk on the Wild Side hit and the back catalog got reissued and my antenna was out for Iggy after Alice Cooper mentioned him in an interview late in 1972.

Even did some sort of report on VU for a high school class. Threatened to play the whole of Sister Ray. Someone asked me what the words to Black Angels Death Song were about.

The above big rock show stuff was pretty much done for me by then.

That's it, all right. The first 3 minutes of wankery make me sleepy, but the sheer scope of destruction in the rest of it still impresses me. You know, as someone who has killed a strat and a flying V in similar ways. In front of slightly smaller audiences. Come on, how often do you see someone drag an entire Marshall stack off the edge of a stage, piece by piece?

But I was only 14 years old when I saw that, and I lived on a dirt road in a town with 1400 people in it. Even if I'd wanted to buy a Stooges album I couldn't have. All I had was TV and the radio. It wasn't until the following year when we were kicked out of our house and moved to the big city that I was able to get a proper soundtrack to my life. It was all downhill from there, naturally, leading to this. And here we are.

Those were the days, when you could do a school report on a Velvet Underground album.

I was there on April 6th 1974 with my first wife (while dating) and it was boring. Deep Purple was boring as well as my first wife, although she had many redeeming qualities that took my mind off what she was rambling on about. If that guy was having a tantrum it was probably because Emerson Lake and Palmer got to close the show.
Black Sabbath was good back then of course I had little or no taste in 1974, I did marry a 17 year old 2 and a half months later.

Seems more like a fluke than anything else that I came across the Velvets and the Stooges. And even then they were bought at Guildford Mall in Surrey, BC. Just the department store record racks. It was the 70s, nobody had a fucking clue.

And I had my dirt roads even if by 1973 they had laid tar and rock chips down, listening to Raw Power on a portable record player sat on the bed at an angle. It still tracked.

Hell, I'm an old fart telling old fart stories.

Gerard trumps us all. He was there!

Need a tune:

Seems more like a fluke than anything else that I came across the Velvets and the Stooges. And even then they were bought at Guildford Mall in Surrey, BC. Just the department store record racks. It was the 70s, nobody had a fucking clue.
Yeah, I hear you. If I had heard the Stooges in 1974, things like California Jam would have seemed irrelevant to me too. It was hearing Funhouse and the first Ramones album within a few weeks of each other that really made me think, "Wow, every rock band I love is kinda full of shit compared to this..." Later I came to appreciate many of them again, but there was that period where everything changed and you could clearly see that the emperor had no clothes. Or at least that the emperor's satin bellbottoms were really fucking stupid.

Ha, ha, ha, you gotta love Ritchie Blackmore!

For some reason I always have to laugh when I see his face. He has this deadpan look whatever he does. He still has it now, 36 years later. Only a small moustache was added.

Old fart stories are exciting. I was born during that period of time when all those bands (Sabbath, Velvet Underground, Stooges, MC5...) created sounds without whom nothing, repeat NOTHING, of what I listen to today would have had the slightest chance of existance.

And all I did was shitting my diapers. Thanks, Mom and Dad. Ten years after I was too young for hardcore. Meh. :rolleyes:

(And praised be Legs McNeil by the way.)

There Aint No Cure For Love - Leonard Cohen

Beautiful

Very good indeed Ponder and Hooch. As a matter of fact just bought this shirt online for 10 bucks as a gift for someone who likes them a lot more than me. Plus, the discount price was only for size small, and I need a large. hahah, I'm always thinking of others!

noage.jpg

I'm going all retro on a Thursday night!

Self Titled - New York Dolls

nydolls.JPG

Really regret not going to see The Black Angels when they played in Chicago a few weeks ago. Time and tide be damned the next time they pass through.

I checked to see if they were coming this way, and I just realized that they were here a couple of weeks ago. So, another time...

my friend had an extra ticket to go see my chemical romance, for their new record release party. so for free, i couldn't pass it up. tried to make my way up front a few times, but whatever that place holds, i think they allow 5x that capacity in there. they seem to be an easy band to hate, but they were excellent live.

This pic i took with my phone was about as close as i got, before i could no longer even manage to get my hands in my pocket from the crowd crush.

mcr2.JPG

and this song is what I'm listening to right now.

This looks like a major talent to me.
Some major deja vu as well, if you catch my drift.

The pure, unmitigated genius that is SERGE GAINSBOURG!

Exploited genius? I-can't-do-anything-myself-so-I'll-just-use-existing-records-to-draw-attention-to-myself genius? I don't know. I am not sophisticated enough to understand. Like a fool, I still believe in the rapidly decaying idea of creativity.

but he had stuff on his tv upside down! that's gotta be...uhhhh...

ok, I got nothing.

The Smiths - The Boy With The Thorn In His Side (Live)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back