What are you listening to? The world really needs to know - III (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sir Paul...

paul.JPG

The Charlatans UK - Sleepy Little Sunshine Boy

Not their best tune, but it grows on you the more you listen to it.

[This video is unavailable.]

The The - Heartland

This here's what they call a singin' man. Even when he was too damn old to sing, he could still lay it down, raw and straight from the gut. Never be another Johnny Cash.

Never be another Johnny Cash

Without a doubt, the Man in Black will never be back, and his voice will always be legendary. Even his music that was released posthumously is great, God's Gonna Cut You Down is one of my favorites. Bukowski and Cash, now that would have made for an interesting duo if they ever met up.

Hank Ballard and the Midnighters, Work With Me Annie

Which lead me to Etta James' answer song, Roll With Me Henry

Which has to lead to Hank Ballard's answer-to-her-answer, Annie Had a Baby

The Darnell Woodies...

Matt Smith is the one on guitar and singing. I love this band. BoSP published his first book of poetry a few years ago.

Bill

p.s. nothing cooler than a country punk girl on stand up bass....

I was just made aware of this band. sweet jesus. some sort of hillbilly angel choir. I haven't bought a cd (or a book) in ages, but I may have to open the safe for this one...
That is something else...even if they kinda remind me of Manson family girls. They are playing in town here at the Troubador in three days (Monday night at 7 p.m. - not exactly a prime spot)...

ha. yeah, they have that kind of 'I'm pretty sure that's jesus over there by the coke machine' vacant stare. but the harmonies trump the crazy.

p.s. nothing cooler than a country punk girl on stand up bass....

amen to that, brother.

After listening to more Mountain Man on YouTube they remind me a lot of The Roches. But that song Animal Tracks is perfect. I was hoping the rest of their stuff would be mountain music like that, but it's not. It's good, that's just a tough act to follow.

the album tracks seem to have a lot of reverb or echo added to the vocals. the live stuff doesn't. the one fault I could pick with Mountain Man is that they seem to go for atmosphere instead of songwriting. if that's a fault.

I'll forgive you/if I outlive you
And when it comes your turn to speak before the crowd
Tell them about the time we did it
On the beach with fireworks above us

On the railroad tracks with the gravel in your back
In the back room of a crowded bar
And in the graveyard where my body now rests

Tasty slice of hook-happy 70s power pop...

that make me drag out this:

nick+lowe.jpg

which has one of the best examples of '70s power pop, Cruel To Be Kind, but this following song has always struck me as close to perfection (for a love song, anyway). the kind of song we might've gotten from Buddy Holly if he had taken the bus:

Nick Lowe is an underappreciated pop music powerhouse.

On the other hand, T. Kilgore Splake recommends:

Two clips from a fave guitarist. Sound not so great on the 1st one. Meine prances about like a drunk sorority girl while Roth chews it up.

Roth again abusing the Strat:

I was just made aware of this band. sweet jesus. some sort of hillbilly angel choir. I haven't bought a cd (or a book) in ages, but I may have to open the safe for this one...
Every time I play that (every 10 minutes or so) Carol says it reminds her of First Aid Kit:

very nice, the second one in particular. I always knew Carol was the one with all the taste in your house.

not that you don't have your qualities. you know, like, uh... I hear you set a mean kitchen fire. that has its uses, I suppose. insurance fraud and whatnot. so, yeah.

oh! and you still have all your hair. good job on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back