What are you listening to? The world really needs to know - III (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like a Virgin covered by:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQrM1htRDsQ

Even his burps were attractive...

Saw Stiv open one of those Urgh! A Music War shows back around 1980. He was in his power pop mode then. I actually liked him at that point. But I like power pop so my taste is obviously suspect.

Others at that concert were The Members (faux ska), Pere Ubu (a long way from 1975 Cleveland) and Magazine (Howard DeVoto had light pouring out one of his orifices). I think Stiv whined and cowered. But he did it well.

Last edited by a moderator:
photo.JPG

Shake Appeal, not their best by any stretch, still goes through my head, Bowie mix and all. Listened to Raw Power all the way through many times and that made me smart enough to buy the Funhouse album when I looked for, and found it at Kelly's records down in the bottom of New Westminster back sometime in 73/74.

Shake Appeal, not their best by any stretch, still goes through my head...
Shake Appeal, Search and Destroy, I Got a Right and Gimme Some Skin would have made a great EP. They are all frantic and fast and quite unlike anything else anyone had ever heard at the time.

I listened to that record a hundred times, but I haven't heard it in, probably, 15 years. Funny though, I was thinking about it the other day. And here you are, completing the glorious circle of life. Makes me want to cry and shit. Whip-Smart wasn't bad either.

when I replace old cassettes with a cd, I take my cassette copy to work. I just replaced Exile in Guyville so I was listening to it at work. with no one around, of course.

Fuck me. Full of Fruity Pebbles sugar-induced mental impairment I dug music like this. Good thing Punk was just around the corner. I suppose a Hanna-Barbera Sex Pistols cartoon would have never passed board approval.

That's First Aid Kit, actually, covering a Fleet Foxes song. The title is deceiving.

Shot at 3am in sub-zero temperatures in a Montreal underpass next to Constellation HQ.

Peformed live. No loopers or pre-recorded tracks or post-production funny business. All sounds made by Colin Stetson in real-time: circular breathing, valvework, vocalisations through the reed.

Found a syringe on the seat behind me last night. Two possible candidates: one stinker from the Canada Way ghetto who was mumbling to himself and telling others to be quiet on the bus; the other a woman who looked like Keith Richard circa 1973, complete down to the missing tooth. The road supervisor and I started sharing war stories after the rig was disposed of, showing off to some rookie. Hey, I must be a good driver if someone can crank up. Then I realized I was late so no one got a smooth ride down 12th Street. 30 years plus a week, six months until I can get pensioned off. Can't happen quick enough.

No great art from them or me.

The two John Lee Hooker House Rent songs brought this Bukowski to mind:

The Tragedy of the Leaves

I awakened to dryness and the ferns were dead,
the potted plants yellow as corn;
my woman was gone
and the empty bottles like bled corpses
surrounded me with their uselessness;
the sun was still good, though,
and my landlady's note cracked in fine and
undemanding yellowness; what was needed now
was a good comedian, ancient style, a jester