What are you listening to? The world really needs to know - III (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't forget, "I'm Waiting For The Man", on the same album.
Yeah, that's a great song too. I love the piano sound on that song, relentless pounding, so simple yet so effective. The Velvet Underground & Nico is still one of my all time favourite albums. Although i must say i still prefer white light/white heat, cause it's so chaotic and fragmented.

Last edited by a moderator:
PetSoundsCover.jpg

I just saw these guys in action. The Dandy Warhols. I hear that Hooch is a huge fan! :rolleyes:
The sound was very good, I caught the playlist, with a boot print. woooahh! If you like to bounce off the walls, that's one for you! The keyboardist Zia was in great shape.
I am from Portland and have been to many of their shows and every one of them was a blast. . .the best was when they played in this old church in Salem--all of these frat boys were there--and they had a bunch of dancers on stage wearing fur coats and boots but nothing else. This guy keeps yelling, "Show us your tits!" (Um, they were) and they stop playing and order their real fans to boo him and throw stuff at him until he left. Which he did, quickly.

Listening to a lot of The Jam lately. Also waiting for the Aimee Mann show I'm going to next month! Jesus, I've been wanting to see her since I was in the 5th grade.

but every time I get to Heatwave I think "what the hell is that doing on this album?"

still, great album.

Weren't bands of the time contractually obligated to cover at least one 60s song? Heh. Not the best choice but the rest makes up for it.

Weren't bands of the time contractually obligated to cover at least one 60s song? Heh. Not the best choice but the rest makes up for it.

don't get me wrong, their version is fine. but after an album of young men going to war and ruminating on the ramifications of life and death and whatnot, Heatwave is a bit jarring. it isn't the Good Morning, Vietnam soundtrack.

anyway, this is the best cover of Heatwave:

This right here, boys and girls, is a great record. May just go dig out my copy and play it today.
I don't know if you saw my post, but all I have been listening to lately is The Jam. Watched an old rerun of the British Office and I thought how much Weller looked like Gareth in the 80s. Pulled up some Youtube videos and it's been barely anything but them. No one wants to get in the car with me and I think even my cat is pissed. A few months ago I saw a preview of a documentary that was coming up about his latest tour; I keep forgetting to check it out but now is the time. And I totally agree about your post. It blows me away how few people know who they are or even who Weller is. And I'm from Portland, for god's sake. You'd think people would be biking to The Jam and drinking their coffees reading Bukowski, but maybe they're too busy getting pierced and opening another brew pub (not that I'm against those things). :)

don't get me wrong, their version is fine. but after an album of young men going to war and ruminating on the ramifications of life and death and whatnot, Heatwave is a bit jarring. it isn't the Good Morning, Vietnam soundtrack.

anyway, this is the best cover of Heatwave:

Hysterical comment, Hooch! Spot on, too. Thanks for the laugh. That'll tickle me for awhile.

I "met" him a couple of Christmases ago at a Barnes and Noble. Lived in Eugene for a long time so it I thought if I ever bumped into him it'd be no big deal. My entire college years, I held onto a plan about how cool I'd be if I ever got the chance to talk to him. He held the door open for me and said something about it being cold and I snorted a laugh. Then I giggled and watched him walk away into the parking lot. So much for being a grown up.

I watched that show all the time. It was that or a farm report, and the farm report didn't have guitars, so I watched Welk.

Polka is wrapped up in a lot of cheese, but it's folk music, and was roots music for all those first and second generation upper Midwest iron range transplants from Germany and Scandinavia. Polka is still popular here and in Mexico. They call it Banda, but take away the vocals and it's straight up polka. And the trumpet/trombone/saxophone horn sections from Banda were appropriated by Jamaican ska and reggae musicians in the late 50s, 60s and 70s, which just goes to show you - something. Maybe it shows that you can draw a line from Lawrence Welk to hip hop and all the connections make some kind of absurd sense.

Though you could probably draw a line from Welk to Hitler just as easily. I don't know anything about the guy, but it doesn't seem like much of a stretch. He talked like a Nazi. And all those blond girls in dirndls...that was some Master Race shit going on there.
I swear, the people on this site are so goddamn amazing. I had to watch Welk every Sunday evening growing up because my grandma loved it and she watched me on those nights. I literally developed panic attacks when Sunday approached because she insisted I watch it with her. It terrified me. I couldn't believe it happened and people still stood behind it. Man, if I was in grad school I would totally write a paper on Welk and the Nazis. I've had to teach Holocaust units several times and you are dead right about Welk and the women on the show and the insidious way he just crept into people. . .my little brother even liked him. God, I wonder if he had any Jewish watchers. I bet the only show that family on TV with the 20 kids watches is Lawrence Welk. Getting a picture of them acting out episodes a la Rocky Horror. . .

Saw The Jam back in 1982 at the Kerrisdale Arena. I had to check the date: June 5th. Thought the horn backing was too shrill and took away from the show. And today I found a shitty bootleg of that show and, yeah, the horns just pierce. Weller seemed undecided if he wanted to be a star fronting a big rock band. The solution of The Style Council didn't work for me.

I always liked That's Entertainment and Going Underground.

So, something not so completely different, dance for your politics:

[This video is unavailable.]

Saxa was great.

And, yeah, TJ doing GU:

Is this not the annerversary of her death?.. think this is who I heard on the radio today but could not catch the name..

I suppose not all is lost with The Lawrence Welk Show:

But then they go and do something like this and they are back to losing it again:

I've been listening to, for the longest time:

City & Colour
The National
Death Cab For Cutie
Stars
Gregory Alan Isakov
Mumford & Sons

if it were 1977 right now I would marry Stevie Nicks and we would have beautiful hippie-witch babies and we would lay in our waterbed and talk about the solar system and whatnot. you know, if she could lay off the coke.

[This video is unavailable.]

There was a picture of Stevie Nicks in CREEM magazine in the 70s - I can't find it on line at the moment - but I would have married that picture. I was underage though.

Speaking of the 70s, and for something completely different, here's Shrapnel with a song off their only single, Combat Love.

Yes, that's the guy from Monster Magnet as a young lad.

Shrapnel played at the Longhorn in Minneapolis and the audience was small and very disinterested. The band ran out and dragged people's tables up to the front of the stage, spilling their drinks and generally upsetting everyone's cool. It was a great show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back