What are you listening to? The world really needs to know - III (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today this is spinning at my place when I'm not drowned in my books...

Tomorrow it might be this shit, or something completely different

Jimmy Cliff - Ruby Soho (Rancid cover)
JimmyCliff-400x400.jpg

Rancid's Tim Armstrong produced Jimmy Cliff's Sacred Fire EP - which also includes his "Guns of Brixton" cover - and presumably steered Cliff towards his song. Still, it proves a smart pairing. Cliff brings out a gentler swing to the song, hitting a pretty smooth falsetto for a 63-year old. Listen to his "Ruby Soho" below, then compare it to Vampire Weekend's version.

Last edited by a moderator:
Her breadwinner begs off the bathroom floor
We live for just these 20 years
do we have to die for the 50 more?

Can't get this god damn thing out of my head for two or three days now. I'm hoping posting here and giving it to you will break the spell. Bowie's voice was shot for a couple years there (when he recorded this, for sure), but still one of his only listenable records.

Can't get this god damn thing out of my head for two or three days now.
Funny, the words were still running through my head on the way to work, so I turned on the radio to force them out, but the damn song was on the radio when I turned it on.

So I have given up and just come to grips with the fact that it will be rattling around in my gourd forever. In fact, it is now my theme song. So if you see me walking around somewhere, imagine the song playing in the background. I won't look any different, but rest assured, I'll feel funky.

his unitar looks suspiciously like a garden variety diddley bow.
Can't remember how I stumbled across the Willie Joe songs. Found an entry on the hound blog about him as a result. And I'd never heard of the diddley bow before now. See all sorts of info on it after a quick search. I guess if I learn something new every few days the web will continue to prove itself worth the effort. (Almost looks like a version of you playing drums with Seasick Steve on Diddley Bo. But, nah.)

watched a bad Buddy Holly 75th birthday tribute on PBS tonight. why did I watch it? because I'm a big Buddy Holly fan. it was dreadful, occasionally mediocre. but I'm one to talk, my last PBS special was a huge bomb. apparently, Charlie Rose doesn't like it when you get drunk, take off your pants and piss on his fancy little round table screaming "I am wind and fire! I am rain and the Lord of Menstrual Cycle! I am the moon!" who knew Charlie Rose was a buzz kill?

anyway....

watched a bad Buddy Holly 75th birthday tribute on PBS tonight. why did I watch it? because I'm a big Buddy Holly fan. it was dreadful, occasionally mediocre.
Any time you see "tribute" you can be pretty sure that you are in for dreadful and mediocre.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have to partially retract my hatred of Coldplay, as mentioned earlier on another thread. New evidence presented to me this morning at work - the song "Major Minus" - has convinced me that either :

1) Coldplay is getting better
2) I'm getting old and lame

But I think that it was the Joni Mitchell chord-voicings actually.....

[This video is unavailable.]

Coldplay. Their punishment for inflicting such banal fuckin tedium on the world is that they will never ever realise what they truly are. In the meantime here is one of gods shining lights...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back