What are you listening to? The world really needs to know - Mark IV (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This shit is called electro swing I've learned. Hipster alert, but somehow I like it.

At first I thought the following an official video but then I saw this is just some kid jumping in his basement. Some serious Travolta-genes at work here.

When I listen to The Stone Roses debut record I perhaps get a bit over-giddy and deem it the last great record ever released (setting aside other artists I truly adore who released post this debut). That 1st record was a work of art, whatever that means.

i'm embarrassed to say i just started checking him out and i'm totally obsessed.

he's a freak of nature.

Encore
[This video is unavailable.]

Michelle Shocked's Memories of East Texas has been rattling around in my head all day, but I can't find a video for that, so I give you her first single Anchorage instead.

[This video is unavailable.]

I understand the thread, but The Move and ELO are two different beasts.

My dislike of ELO isn't rational, it stems from seeing them on TV when I was a kid with all those violas and tubas and shit, taking up space between real bands when I wanted to see something - less pretentious.

I'm sure if I listened to them now (which I respectfully decline to do) I could appreciate it as an adult, since that's who it's for.

That has been my view ever since I have been running for office.

But that first ELO lp was the transition from The Move to Jeff Lynnesania. I don't know if the strings and shit were Roy Wood's idea or not. He left after the first release and went on to Wizzard and that wall of pop.

Anyway, that's Roy sawing away on one of the celli.
roy wood elo.JPG

She just doesn't care anymore UH?

These forced/breathing affectations that some vocalists produce really grate for me sometimes. I can't listen to Alabama Shakes without wanting to punch the radio, although there's a lot in their sound that I dig maa-an. Getting old. Or got old. I dunno.

Herman Brood's song reminds me of Fame

Reactions: mjp
An email from Rhino reminded me of Fanny, who was the first all-female rock band, a good five years before The Runaways crashed the party. There aren't any particularly rockin' videos on YouTube, but here's one that boogies (remember that?) and has the added bonus of being from the Sonny and Cher show.

And a bonus pic of June Millington playing a sweet old Junior that has been hacked up to add a neck pickup.

junemillington.jpg

The sisters that fronted the band still play, though I don't think they play together anymore? Maybe they do. I'm almost always wrong.

I went to the track at Hollywood Park last weekend to wager lose some money on the horses. After the final race, I heard a terrible racket coming from the north end of the track, so I asked the people in the box next to me what that noise was. I was informed that apparently Hollywood Park had booked Devo to provide the post-race entertainment.

I'm not going to subject everyone to a youtube video of "Whip It", but I thought I should let you all know that they're still alive and playing, so you can rest easy. Or not.

Devo 2012.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back