What are you listening to? The world really needs to know - Mark IV (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
they've been playing this song on the radio (CBC Radio2: Drive with Rich Terfry!) up here for a few months now. when I first heard it I thought it sounded like a song Perter Gabriel wrote for The Police to be included on the Synchronicity album. didn't pay much attention after that. but they kept playing it, and I wouldn't change the station. the next time I turned it up when the female vocals kicked in. the next time I turned it up when the chorus began. the next time I turned it up when the song started... you get the picture.

but I still say it sounds like a song Peter Gabriel wrote for The Police.

I love the focus of everyone in this performance - trying to do "just enough" and not overplay ANYTHING. The song alsways comes first and Miss Leslie Feist understands that. Thank you Leslie.

[This video is unavailable.]

BlindFaithBlindFaith.jpg

Album cover controversy

The release of the album provoked controversy because the cover featured a topless pubescent girl, holding in her hands a hood ornament from a 1956 Chevrolet, which some perceived as phallic.[3][4] The U.S. record company issued it with an alternative cover (which showed a photograph of the band on the front) as well as the original cover.
The cover art was created by photographer Bob Seidemann, a personal friend and former flatmate of Clapton's who is primarily known for his photos of Janis Joplin and the Grateful Dead. In the mid-1990s, in an advertising circular intended to help sell lithographic reprints of the famous album cover, he explained his thinking behind the image.[5]
I could not get my hands on the image until out of the mist a concept began to emerge. To symbolize the achievement of human creativity and its expression through technology a space ship was the material object. To carry this new spore into the universe, innocence would be the ideal bearer, a young girl, a girl as young as Shakespeare's Juliet. The space ship would be the fruit of the tree of knowledge and the girl, the fruit of the tree of life.
The space ship could be made by Mick Milligan, a jeweler at the Royal College or Art [sic]. The girl was another matter. If she were too old it would be cheesecake, too young and it would be nothing. The beginning of the transition from girl to woman, that is what I was after. That temporal point, that singular flare of radiant innocence. Where is that girl?
Seidemann wrote that he approached a girl reported to be 14 years old on the London Tube about modelling for the cover, and eventually met with her parents, but that she proved too old for the effect he wanted. Instead, the model he used was her younger sister Mariora Goschen, who was reported to be 11 years old.[6] Mariora initially requested a horse as a fee but was instead paid £40.[6][7][8]
Bizarre rumours both surfaced and were fuelled by the controversy, including that the girl was Baker's daughter or was a groupie kept as a slave by the band. The image, titled "Blind Faith" by Seidemann, became the inspiration for the name of the band itself, which had been unnamed when the artwork was commissioned. According to Seidemann, "It was Eric who elected to not print the name of the band on the cover. The name was instead printed on the wrapper, when the wrapper came off, so did the type." In fact, this had been done previously for The Rolling Stones' 1964 debut album, Traffic's self-titled 1968 album, and The Beatles' albums Rubber Soul (1965) and Revolver (1966).

[...] The U.S. record company issued it with an alternative cover [...]

same happened to U2's first album 'Boy' back in 1980 or something.

U2-Boy_cover_.JPG

I don't know if the officials who decided to censor this cover have a sick mind or if they just feared, other people who buy the record could have one. But I personally have a pretty clear opinion about WHO's fantasies are deranged here.

About 40 years ago Alice Cooper showed up to play Vancouver, Saturday Feb. 12, 1972. I didn't go but the ads were great, as were some of the interviews I saw on t.v. I bought a cassette of Killer and that was that...for a while anyway. (An Alice interview later in the year made me aware of Iggy, and then that really was that.)

I'm loading up my new-found fondness for the iPod with some 60s and 70s stuff with no clear pattern in mind (I suppose liking would fit as a pattern, heh). The Byrds, Gerry and the Pacemakers, Alice Cooper (see above), Beach Boys, Abba (God help me but S.O.S. is pop bliss), The Clash, Television, Bad Brains (early 80s) and so on suit the bill but the clamp turns the other way, too. Hooch posted a vid recently of Zoo Kid and until I can get a hold of that tune I'm more than happy with this young prodigy's effort under his other moniker - King Krule:

I had a Sony 3D Boom Blaster-and it had a cassette player too-which I still feel pretty good about every time I hear that end of the tape beginning of tape whirRRR. As a CD player it worked great too

Carol and I were in the record store yesterday and almost added Let It Be...Naked to the pile, but didn't. We both said we'd like to hear it...once. Does it bear repeated listening? I suppose we'll end up getting it sooner or later.

I was so upset they didn't have Sailing Shoes by Little Feat, so I got Dixie Chicken and Time Loves a Hero. I think Sailing Shoes is their best album. Thanks for the "likes" those of you who know Little Feat! :)

Carol and I were in the record store yesterday and almost added Let It Be...Naked to the pile, but didn't. We both said we'd like to hear it...once. Does it bear repeated listening? I suppose we'll end up getting it sooner or later.

If you like Let It Be but hate the Phil Spector over-production, yes... great record. A big improvement to my ear... especially The Long And Winding Road... did you know that there's actually a pretty good song under all that orchestration?

If you like Let It Be but hate the Phil Spector over-production, yes... great record. A big improvement to my ear... especially The Long And Winding Road... did you know that there's actually a pretty good song under all that orchestration?
We picked up Naked, and it does sound good. The thing that surprised me though was how much Spector didn't fuck up. He left quite a bit of the record alone, or made only subtle changes from what you hear on Naked.

Of course when he did lay on the cheese he laid it on thick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back