What are you listening to? The world really needs to know. Volume 8 (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I heard the description of this, I knew exactly what this was going to sound like. I remember hearing these types of songs while my mom drove around in her Buick (wasn't crazy about the follow up single, but looking forward to hearing the whole album.)

For many years I've hated jazz/rock fusion, but this checks every box for me (the All White groove starts at 0:53 and it's greasy as greasy gets thanks primarily to John Marshall's drumming):

Roky Erickson, Leon Redbone, Dr. John - yet Phil Collins, Hall & Oates, Billy Joel, and the similar legions of rank and talentless businessmen in musician costumes still walk among us. And you talk of a merciful God? It is to laugh.

Just watching Rolling Thunder Revue with coffee and it is 6 in the morning. I know that I will watch it again and again.
References to Whitman, Kerouac, readings by Alan Ginsberg. Many many more. Fantastic! Simple Twist of Fate had me in pieces. Wonderful performances. Netflix

Last edited:
This week I was at a folk fest in Vancouver BC and this is my ‘coup de coeur’. Her name is Irish Mythen, a tiny Irish woman who now lives in PEI Canada. She can play and she sure can sing. She writes political songs but this Van Morrison made me cry.

993CA79D-707A-46B5-B850-B3C126D5EE27.jpeg

Searching Jamaican music in celebration of their independence today 6 Aug in 1962 I came upon this

That's pretty good. It's one of those records that a lot of people rave about just because Lee Perry produced it, but to me it's just kind of everyday 1977 era reggae. Which is a good thing, and a time that can't be repeated (well, no time can be repeated, can it?), but the songs are just kind of okay.

That's the original Perry mix in that video, which no one really heard until a 40th anniversary version came out a couple years ago. Before that the original mix was only available on the first 200 copies of the album that were pressed. Which made it, you know, slightly difficult to put your hands on a copy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back