What are you listening to? The world really needs to know. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Say what you may about BOBBY. No one can possibly listen this song without breaking into tears.

What's your opinion on Jacques Brel, mjp?
I have no opinion of Jacques Brel, never having heard any of his (I assume) music. Is he another lifeless French singer that a lot of people pretend to like but never listen really to, like Serge Gainsbourg? ;)

I don't care for campy, cabaret, Sinatra-via-Broadway type shit in general. Or French singers or bands in general. I find them ridiculous. Like snotty little puppets pretending to be musicians between naps. They need a good slap, most of them.

mjp, I am going out to get some 'Drum'.

Here is Leo Ferre. Take your best shot! ;)
In fact, I think that he has a little something of Bukowski, in the eyes.

Starting with Skeeter Davis: Someone should slap her parents for calling her that. Skeeter is a name commonly reserved for a local yokel who can fish an whittle and spends most his his spare time masturbating. It was into her song I thought, "why am I listening to that any longer?"

And for all of those French guys singing: I really think you need to know what those funny little words they're chattering on about mean because I don't get it. He's just a funny looking little french guy.

Here is Leo Ferre. Take your best shot! ;)
Oh come on! You're setting me up! What am I supposed to say about that? I'm sure it makes all the old queens weepy. It makes me feel nothing (since I'm still a young queen).

But then I don't know what the hell he's singing, so it's just a lot of boring blah blah. Maybe the lyrics are incredible. Maybe the French really have given the world something besides the Eiffel tower, Audrey Tautou's face and hot air balloons.

I doubt it, but it's possible.

The thing, for me, is that Leo Ferré turned me on to poetry when I was 15.
He had put in music the poetry of Rimbaud, Beaudelaire, Verlaine et Aragon, who then were considered as damned poets. The result was more of a spoken poem on music.

Of course, Ferre's music now sounds like pure shite, but the words sunk in. I still remember them as short stories.

I actually hate much french bands, only a few folkies.

Excuse my French! This is not Bukowski.fr!

Last edited by a moderator:

The right guy with sunglasses is Ambreen's dad, the horny guy in the background had something going on with my dad I found out late.

Their posing is awesome.

Waynes World Soundtrack on CASSETTE, how corny am I? But hey, it's got Queen, Alice Cooper, The Bulletboys and the Red Hot Chili Peppers on it, that's fine by me. And hey, Cassette sounds better than mp3's!

wayne.jpg

I personally like Serge Gainsbourg. I like how Johannes posts a Serge clip and Swan kindly responds to it but mjp has to put in his negative input and subsequent posts are like - well, I personally don't care for Serge... Jesus Fuck waving a whip. Love me some French cinema, literature and French music done up right - the French trying their hand at Rock - I'll gladly slide down the Mare of Steel on disposing of that but I hate to inform the restless there is more to music than rock "n" roll - however that pains me to say it. And I personally dislike breaking up the daisy chain of Floyd - listened to my 2nd favorite album of Floyd yesterday - Meddle.

I personally like Serge Gainsbourg. I like how Johannes posts a Serge clip and Swan kindly responds to it but mjp has to put in his negative input and subsequent posts are like - well, I personally don't care for Serge...

I still like Ferre , Gainsbourg sometimes, mjp's humour, Johannes' choice and I like you too!
I like Bukowski, although he is a b.... and Ponder too!

[This video is unavailable.]

I like how Johannes posts a Serge clip and Swan kindly responds to it but mjp has to put in his negative input and subsequent posts are like - well, I personally don't care for Serge... Jesus Fuck waving a whip.
Just a bunch of followers. No opinions of their own. They couldn't possibly dislike the same things I dislike. They are just repeating my sentiments like lemmings, in order to win my glorious approval, is that what you're suggesting?

You flatter me! But worse, you insult them, you humorless bastard, you. Come here and give me a kiss!

[...] He had put in music the poetry of Rimbaud, Beaudelaire, Verlaine et Aragon, who then were considered as damned poets. The result was more of a spoken poem on music. [...]

I believe mjp has a clear oppinion about this kind of art.

Now, if there is one guy who is sucking decaying beaver balls about 90% of the time it sure as hell is Falco and especially since he is dead and made holy by the Austrian media circus. But at his best he showed some rather bizarre humor and self-irony and although this song may not be much, the video is very funny and especially if you come from a place where they torture you with Falco and The Sound of Music all the time.

Just a bunch of followers. No opinions of their own. They couldn't possibly dislike the same things I dislike. They are just repeating my sentiments like lemmings, in order to win my glorious approval, is that what you're suggesting?

You flatter me! But worse, you insult them, you humorless bastard, you. Come here and give me a kiss!

What I'm suggesting is your anti-French clown act is getting stale and tiresome. Them deep in their hearts know I wasn't truly insulting them - now that you can kiss.

And after the last words I'll end this on a positive. Buk is right - people just are not good to each other.

What I'm suggesting is your anti-French clown act is getting stale and tiresome.
See, now that just tells me it's starting to get good. After another year or two imagine how tired you will be!

Them deep in their hearts know I wasn't truly insulting them
Now that's funny. In an ironical way, as Bugs Bunny would say.

The Sensational Alex Harvey Band - Next (Brel)

My mom, though she didn't take much care of her nearly 1,500 45's(I think 1 of 1,500 has a cover), has about 11 boxes of these. My dad, after finding out some of their worth - was very reluctant at letting me take these home. So I had to convince him, in their present condition, they're just not worth what eBay or anything else says they're worth and with that he let me take one box so far(little does he know, he'll never see it again, however I would never sell any of these anyway.) I have now found that about 99% of them play pretty flawlessly, minus pops and hisses, so I've been listening to these all night.

moms45s.jpg

So far, I think I have replayed this one about 15 times.... And since the only one on eBay that is not scratched up is listed for 75 bucks, maybe I'll sell them all daddy! Just kidding, I'd never sell any of these.

happy.jpg

You can get plain paper sleeves for those pretty cheap.

Some nice wah pedal work here, though the dirty hippies didn't even bother to comb their hair before the taping. Shame about that sweet Les Paul Special all fucked up and customized, but the sound is still there.

Fender guitar with this one. Redd Volkaert gave me a handful of guitar lessons back in the early 1970s when his Dad owned a music store in Cloverdale, BC. He was trying to learn the opening riff of "I'm Going Home" by Ten Years After from the Woodstock soundtrack (hello Chronic!) by slowing the vinyl to 16 from 33. I lost track of him after seeing him at a Johnny Winter/James Cotton/Alvin Lee concert around 1974. Read a Georgia Straight story on Redd a dozen years ago and went "hey, I remember that guy!" Now, if I had only applied myself on the guitar...(and other things). Cindy Cashdollar is great as well.

Digney! I still have a Georgia Straight 1976 with Bim (Roy Forbes) on the cover.

Was reading: CROSBYSTILLS and SMASH_After a number of aborted recording sessions during which C.S.N.& Y. were supposed to be reunited, Graham Nash has expressed his disgust quite publicly concerning Stills and Young, by saying "I'll thump the fucker right up the nose when I see him again." I supspect he means Stills, since Young is a semi-invalid!
I do not know who wrote this.

Not sure who wrote the Crosby, Stills and Smash item. 1976? Bob Geldof's stint at the GS was around 1974. Maybe Tom Harrison who moved to the daily Province years ago.

And good old Bim (Roy Forbes). My brother brought him up recently while we surfed youtube.

This one I remember:

And this more recent one (takes 30 seconds before music starts) features Shari Ulrich (Pied Pumpkin) and Bill Henderson (the Collectors, Chilliwack) backing Roy's song. Nice mullet (if a mullet can ever be considered nice) Roy!

Both are okay driving tunes.

It's nice to see Shari Ulrich! I wonder what happened to Rick Scott and Joe Mock. I'll look them up online.
I often saw them at the Soft Rock.

And this more recent one (takes 30 seconds before music starts) features Shari Ulrich (Pied Pumpkin) and Bill Henderson (the Collectors, Chilliwack) backing Roy's song. Both are okay driving tunes.

I never liked Chilliwack.
Here is a song of the second and last album of the Collectors.

I never listened to Grass and Wild Strawberries much. Must have been the literary connection (playwright George Ryga) that had me shy away from it. I am much more pedestrian in my psychedelic likes. Lydia Purple for instance.

Chilliwack was part of my high school soundtrack from Lonesome Mary to, I dunno, There's Something I Like About That. Then there's the transition year that produced a trio of drums, bass and flute. I listened to a recent interview with Bill Henderson and I get the idea he liked improvisation best. But hit songs pay the bills.

If you want more Vancouver psychedelia look for some b&w footage of My Indole Ring and Mock Duck on youtube.

(I was trying to find an old picture of Bim from the 1970s. He had the thick glasses and was even more Bubbles-like then.)

Right, I do remember the posting in the IPOD thread, and searched it out again. Shows what my memory and cd collection is that I thought you had put in a segment of the "What Love (Suite)" (19 minutes or so). I'm wrong of course. Always am. Always will be. Your posting was, of course, track one off the first Collectors lp. The cd collection should be sorted because it's a mess spread out all over the place

But I've gotta go to work (where I am always wrong and always will be). Buss me on the bus.

[video=dailymotion;x6yi55]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6yi55_that-s-where-we-re-riding_music[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back