What are you listening to now? (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah - I keep telling myself someday I'm going to listen to all of Beethoven's symphonies in order, and then Mozart's, also in order. Now is a good time to take this on - I'm bored to death with every other genre right now.

I'm working my way through Mahler,
Gustav Mahler - Symphonies Nos. 1-10,
and Andy Griffith for comic relief when slimedog hasn't posted

The band Cathedral. I'm listening to their album Caravan Beyond Redemption and in particular the song satanikus robotikus a really groovy tune. I saw them live in Brisbane and they rocked!

In Australia "groovy" means "rad," but interpreted with a backhanded, ironic post-pomo semi-serious gravity. That language is really hard to figure out.

In America "gravity" translates out to "weight",
meaning "force" or "seriousness".

So, "semi-serious gravity" has a respectable
connotation about it. Just add irony.

I still don't know what the fuck pomo means, but I
think that I'm not one.

Hope that helps.

The Doors - 'Morrison Hotel' while eating french bread (dipped in Cholula hot sauce) and sipping a Dos Equis XX (green bottle).

Love that track 'Peace Frog'.

Father Luke you always help. Glad we got gravity clarified. Groovy means grooves, deep grooves. Cathedral they help me deal with mickey mouse, and a few others like him in disguise.

The Doors - 'Morrison Hotel' while eating french bread (dipped in Cholula hot sauce) and sipping a Dos Equis XX (green bottle).
Love that track 'Peace Frog'.
Hello Chicagoburgers. Haven't had a chance to say that to ya yet and apparently I missed your New Blood thread, if you made one. Gotta tell ya this, anyone that uses Cholula is a fine cat in my book. That's the tastiest sauce in existence. AND the fact that you were listening to Morrison Hotel while consuming something with Cholula on it is ever cooler.

buzzzed

buzzcat. you got it! i was hoping someone would be in the know about cholula. i have it on just about everything...eggs, hotdogs, pizza...you name it.
i see you're from wisconsin. i try to get up there as much as i can. i live in Northern Illinois and do a Northwoods camping trip every year up in Boulder Junction, WI. damn fine land up there. cheeseheads are always good in my book. Go Bears!! haha.

Yes, I bow my head for those who are not in the know about Cholula. Come ON people, get with the program of good taste.

I have a couple friends that live up north. Great place to visit but I hear there ain't jobs for shit up there.

As for the cheeseheads thing, I don't connect with that being it's a sports reference. Not a sports guy at all. I'm more the cheesegut. The closest cheese gets to me head is it's trip through my mouth on it's way to my stomach. I LOVE CHEESE! It'll be the death of me.

Although I never watch football, I would watch the Bears if I did. Go Bears!

Let's see, what the shit's the subject of this thread? Um, ah, What are you listening to?
I can say last night on the show we spun Alice's Restaurant. New Steve Winwood, Boz Scaggs, The Tubes & Fat Mattress. That's some good listenin'.

freudcd044j.jpg

Ha! When L.A.M.F. came out it was on my turntable for - literally - two months straight. I haven't heard the "improved" remix. Not sure I want to.

the new mix isn't necessary, but the extra disc of alternate takes/outtakes is.

I finally replaced my 4th or 5th generation cassette copy of this, so ANY mix is better.

Zappa/Mothers: Just Another Band From L.A. - Very funny lyrics! Especially on "Billy The Mountain" and "Magdalena"...

Old Jamaican Tuff Gong pressing of Bob Marley's Survival that came in the mail today. They always released a different mix of the albums for Jamaican audiences. Sometimes very different, sometimes only slightly different.

Old Jamaican Tuff Gong pressing of Bob Marley's Survival that came in the mail today. They always released a different mix of the albums for Jamaican audiences. Sometimes very different, sometimes only slightly different.

do you have any reccomendations for reggae stuff, mjp?

the only thing have is Marley's Legend, which is great, and Ziggy's Conscious Party.
I'm seriously lacking.

Yow, that's a big canyon to jump into. Try these, all classics:

Bob Marley and the Wailers - Survival
Peter Tosh - Bush Doctor
Bunny Wailer - Blackheart Man
Black Uhuru - Black Sounds of Freedom
Burning Spear - Marcus Garvey

yeah, it's like saying "what grains of sand can you recommend on this beach?"
but thanks for the starter course.

the only thing have is Marley's Legend, which is great, and Ziggy's Conscious Party.
I'm seriously lacking.

Check this Hooch,
Soul Jazz Records
best "compilations" samplers and history of it, sorry for the french link but i am sure that you will find it in English,
great stuff,
I have bought An England Story and it is a favorite , the quality is amazing. Ranges between 25.-35. usually kept in Jazz section.
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soul_Jazz_Records

Another link http://www.soundsoftheuniverse.com/index.php?l=27

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back