What are you listening to? The world needs to know. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
He actually sings, "To be stuck inside of Mobile...". I always thought it was a town used to symbolize confinement or something like that. I may be completely wrong, of course...

I always thought that he was refering to mobile alabama. could be wrong, but I'm going to stick to that belief. wouldn't want to change after all of these years of listening to that great song. nice choice lolita.

I'm a big fan of Kate Bush's music (not so much her), but Wuthering Heights is tough to take.

I always thought that he was refering to mobile alabama. could be wrong, but I'm going to stick to that belief. wouldn't want to change after all of these years of listening to that great song. nice choice lolita.

Oh, I missed this part of the thread. I would say it's Mobile, Alabama. Well, you can never be definite with Dylan, I suppose. But I would think that there's a connection between the Nashville musicians who played on Blonde on Blonde and Mussel Shoals, AL (another hot-bed for southern music), which is close to Mobile, AL, which seems like (to me) what he was going for there.

So, Memphis is to Nashville as Mobile is to Mussel Shoals. Or something like that.

Or Mobile is where you're stuck and Memphis is where you want to be, and it could be any two cities, those two just sounded right. My money is on it just sounding right. Especially considering the randomness of the rest of the lyrics. He is definitely not telling a story there, he's just creating a mood.

I always thought it was a metaphoric story about how chaotic his life was during or around the release of Blonde...though, that's why Dylan does what he does for different folks. Is there a town of Mobile in Texas, as he mentions later the "rainman" giving him Texas medicine and railroad gin?

While we're at it, I've always struggled with John Fogerty's song "Lodi".

Oh Lord, stuck with low die, again.

Does he mean that he's so down on his luck that he lost one of his dice and he keeps rolling low numbers on the one he has left, or is he coloring his hair and he can't finish because he has run out of dye?

Or Mobile is where you're stuck and Memphis is where you want to be, and it could be any two cities, those two just sounded right. My money is on it just sounding right. Especially considering the randomness of the rest of the lyrics. He is definitely not telling a story there, he's just creating a mood.

See below, but to me you can never know when Dylan is telling a story and just making a convenient rhyme, metaphor, etc. I've spent many hundreds, if not thousands, of hours listening to Dylan, and after much consideration, I just fucking dig it. Who cares what he meant, or didn't?

Umm, he's talking about Mobile, Alabama.

My original post (#403) was stating just that, but I took a step back and had to consider the source. Could be, could very well be, but how can we be certain?

While we're at it, I've always struggled with John Fogerty's song "Lodi".

Oh Lord, stuck with low die, again.

Does he mean that he's so down on his luck that he lost one of his dice and he keeps rolling low numbers on the one he has left, or is he coloring his hair and he can't finish because he has run out of dye?

The answer would be "yes" because if you can't take "yes" for an answer then what can you take?

And just who was the man from the magazine in the song? Jann Wenner? Greg Shaw? One of those Bay Area NorCal guys hung up on The Golliwogs? ("Yes" would be the answer.)

Listening to The Zombies Odessey and Oracle, [This video is unavailable.].

covers_002300.jpg

We briefly interrupt this music thread to bring you a Keith Richards quote :

"I've never had a problem with drugs. I've had a problem with cops."

Looking for some help. A little while ago I was listening to XPN, a college radio station in Philadelphia, when they had the stars of " .... infinite playlist" choosing the sounds. They played audio of a man talking in his sleep, really weird, gave me the chills. Does anyone know the name of this man?:confused:

Bright Eyes - Letting Off The Happiness....

Nothing like a good depressing album to make the jack daniels go down smooth.

I have been listening to the Allman Brothers for a solid month now. I just watched the doc about Tom Dowd, the pioneering sound engineer and producer and they have interviews with some of the Band members that I found very interesting.

oooooh. Daniel Jonston(Johnston?), very interesting music. The man's life is intersting , too. There's a pretty good documentary about him called " The Devil and Daniel Jonston".

Those pointy shredding guitars are awesome. It's nice that someone still uses them, and they didn't all just get thrown away at the end of the 80's. That song is good, but it should be about five minutes longer. It cuts off just as the idea of suicide starts to creep up on you.

Actually the song is from 1988, but Denis D'Amour kept his awesome guitar sound until he died in 2005. They did the last two albums with guitar tracks he had recorded at home previous to his death (colon cancer).
Here's one from INFINI, no video yet -

Spanish Stroll by Mink de Ville
Exorcise your funky little demon by Tito & Tarantula
Saturday Night by Herman Brood (RIP)

Here's what I consider to be the best R&R tune of the past 35 years:

For some reason, a complete version cannot be found on youtube. This is about 2 minutes short.

Me heep likeum King Crimson (and Red's their best) and Fripps guitar lick on this is unbelievable. (not Rock N Roll though)

But MJP's choice is unquestionably the right, albeit a bit highbrow, choice.

Naw, to me Chuck Berry is rock'n'roll-bands like the Who, Zep etc. are rock and bands like King Crimson are rock also (prog rock).

But me heepum like KC.

Listening to Steve Earle, while the neighborhood is down for the night.
Fort Worth Blues, with Roseanne Cash, Guitar Town

Tinarriwen's new one Imidiwan:Companions, usually I can't stomach what might be considered 'World Music' but they are pretty damn great.

For Post Toxic, "Princess Sarah"'s opening song :

(there must be a german version, it was a too famous cartoon broadcasted worlwide ;) )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back