What are you listening to? The world needs to know. (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it affects you because you are already a fan of her music (and because it's raw and emotional which makes most people uneasy because they are dead inside). I love it, it makes me laugh, and it's nothing at all like anything else you could pick at random from any of her other records.

But I would never play that clip for someone who wasn't already familiar with her. Those I've shown it to who are partial to her music all think it's funny and awesome. You'd have to be pretty humorless not to laugh at someone barking in a song. But if you take it out of the context of her other 150 or so recorded songs, sure it's just noise. Like free jazz, or scat singing.

Her first album, Dry is one of the best straight ahead, loud, great-song rock albums you'll ever hear in your life. All of you, however old you are. But there's a lot more to her than that. Like she can bark, dude! Let's see some uptight jazz bitch do that. They wouldn't have the nerve. They'd be afraid of what the horn player might say. Afraid it wasn't cooooool.

i must say the woof woof made me laugh. i'd heard the name PJ Harvey. i always thought, for some reason, her music was what they now call "rhythm and blues," that rather insipid shit.

I'm watching Later with Jools Holland, tonight with Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Carole King, Franz Ferdinand, The Mummers, Karima Francis and .

Off to see The Specials in 2 weeks. Can't wait. :cool:

you lucky bastard (don't take that wrong.) thanks for posting the clip. wow. they can still move.

I just tend to get my back up with comments like:

"Deary me. All those music lessons..."

which smacks of snobbery. but I might be a touch sensitive when it comes to songs that affect me.

Oh, I know. You once indicated to me that you enjoy a good musical trash-talking now and again. Just fanning the flames a bit. :D

Fripp? Who could forget the sonic revolution that was Frippertronics?! (What? We did the same thing in junior high "electronic music" class a couple years earlier? Never mind.) ;)

I'll always dig Robert Fripp though because he produced the first Roches album, and it is an American vocal harmony classic (well, he produced, yes, but it was primarily a live studio recording). Unfortunately he later overproduced another Roches album by putting his weird (and now horribly dated) guitar sound all over it.

Of course, I've always thought that the most driving forces in the Crimson I like best were Bill Bruford and John Wetton. Greg Lake and Ian MacDonald to a degree as well.

Son of Schmilsson.jpg

I am listening to L'homme qui suit (*).
He's a friend of mine living in the south of France and seriously devoting himself to music since a few years, secretly hoping to be one day considered as the French Jeff Buckley (well, let him dream).
He's got a Myspace but there is no music or videos yet because he's a perfectionist and will only put songs when he will be satisfied with his work, which is not the case now.
[When he's satisified, post the link. - ed.]

He sent me some songs by mail months ago, I find them very sad, they really remind me of Jeff Buckley though he told me he had been influenced by what he calls "dark flamenco" for these ones...he's a singular and quite an intricate guy but I love his authenticity. He didn't create a Myspace because it's something trendy, he just felt alone and thought it was a good way to communicate with other musicians and learn from them.
I'm happy because he's coming to Paris on saturday ! I will urge him to put some stuff on the said Myspace and will post here again when he will do it, in order to show you how talented he is :D

(*) = The man who is following

Last edited by a moderator:
I am listening to L'homme qui suit (*). He's got a Myspace but there is no music or videos
Is this some kind of French joke, a MySpace Music page with no music? Is that how the French do Emo? That's taking the concept too far, I think. Typical of the French, take a fine American idea and fuck it up with a bunch of soft-cheese-and-tiny-car type thinking.

I hope you realize that you fuckers will never accomplish anything until you quit hanging around in cafes all day pretending to read or think about things. One morning you're going to wake up and all the cafes will be replaced by Burger Kings and McDonalds, because we know what people want, and we know how to get shit done.

Then where will you go for your awful espresso that tastes like brown water squeezed from old garbage bags?

It will be tragic.

We're going to make you use dollars to get your coffee, too. Your funny little Euro? It is no good with us. Fine American coffee requires American currency.

You should flee to Jordan or South Africa now while you still have a chance. Maybe they'll take you in Australia, but I kind of doubt it.

Last edited:
haddock-bachi-bouzouk.gif

"TOI TU VAS PRENDRE CHER, ESPACE DE SALE RACAILLE RICAINE ! ON NE DÉNIGRE PAS LA GRANDEUR DE LA FRANCE EN TOUTE IMPUNITÉ ! "
sarkoc.gif

You have irritated both Captain Haddock and President Sarkozy. From now on, your days are numbered.

Watch out, Ambreen - I can spit across the french border from where I live now. L'etat, c'est moi. Et je mange ton chien.

No, I'm not. And I wouldn't. :D

CONFLICT - song TILT on repeat.

Currently been listiing to

Chris Liberator V Dave the Drummer V Lawrie Imersion - Acid techno Mix. - This is sicker the 50 invalid kids

Roni Size - New Forms - Classic Mercury Music Prize winning album

2Mex - B Boy in Occupied Mexico. - Sick Bilingual Hip Hop

Radiohead - Amenesiac - Only because they are local to me and Thom yorke was in my local pub last night

Watch out, Ambreen - I can spit across the french border from where I live now. L'etat, c'est moi. Et je mange ton chien.

No, I'm not. And I wouldn't. :D
L'Etat, je lui chie dessus. Je n'ai pas de chien. Je hais les chiens.

This is France
snif.gif

This is what all of the Black gangsters in LA need to do.....speak french.

, the dancing is entertaining.

TABARNAK 200 NEGROS

That Rickie Lee EP has a great live version of My Funny Valentine. Aparently my dog loved it too. About 10 or 15 years ago, he chewed up the cover. Vinyl survived OK, but I haven't had a working turntable for about five years.

Just finished "No More Shall We Part" by Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds and remembered what a great album that is!

Also just finished "It's Blitz" by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Even though I did not want to, I have to agree with most reviews...It's like they just wanted to go a new way. I love keyboards, synths, etc but the last couple Yeah Yeah Yeahs cds rocked it pretty good and this one went a little too mellow for me.

OMG. You just have to love the Japanese and their wonderful perception of music. Of course if you're not into James Brown then none of it makes any sense.

Thanks GKHL. Awesome band, great interpretation.

Get op offta dat ring indeed. Oh my.

---

Yesterday I received Semper Fidelis, a 1972-2002 Sonny Vincent punk rock anthology in the mail quite unannounced. Three LPs and a groovy booklet insert chronicling Sonny's entire career. Or his career up to 2002? I dunno. I know there's only one pre-1975 track on there, and it's a kinda hippie thing (!) so claiming 30 years as of 2002 is kind of stretching it. But he can certainly claim it now.

If you've never heard of Sonny you're not alone, but he was among the early (like 1975 early) players in the NYC/CBGB/Max's punk scene with his band Testors. He's been tirelessly holding the punk torch high for the past 33, 34 years in the face of a pretty much unimpressed world. I think they call that persistence.

Anyway, this is fast and loud and messy and pretty fucking awesome if you're into that kind of thing. I played in his band in 1980 - 82, so I assume that's why it showed up on my doorstep. But it probably won't show up on your doorstep, so go buy it. If you can. I couldn't figure out how to order the fucker online, so you're on your own. Because it's punk, see?

Sonny_semper.jpg

But it probably won't show up on your doorstep, so go buy it. If you can. I couldn't figure out how to order the fucker online, so you're on your own. Because it's punk, see?

done.

currently:

George Jones.jpg

[...] Sonny Vincent punk rock anthology [...]

oh, shit! you know Sonny Vincent?
I've met (and photographed) him in Bamberg, I guess this was about 10 years ago (maybe more).

There's a crazy person named ELSE ADMIRE in our town, and he recorded with Sonny and also had him in his underground-remake of 'Plan 9 - Zombies from outa space' (or something like that) - a Trash-movie.

I even think I do have a vinyl-single, these two made together. Can look it up.

Ha, yes, I was with Sonny practically every day for about two years, so I would say I know him. He figures prominently in a book I'm currently working on.

It's funny that you met him...though he does get around. He's made a record with just about everyone. What is your friend's record with him called? Maybe it is on this anthology compilation thing...

---

Ah, there is a track on the record called Motorcycle Girl that Else Admire plays the lead guitar solo on. It was recorded in Bamberg in 1998.

Thanks GKHL. Awesome band, great interpretation.

You must love the Japanese punks-and that's what they are. I hate to say this but the back up girl looks as if she's a member of the 5 6 7 8s of Kill Bill fame. It sounds like her voice too. Help me out if you can find out.

Some Sonny Vincent:

Sonny Vincent. He looks familiar as hell.

Yeah Roni, Motorcycle Girl is on the anthology.

GKHL, Sony is showing his age in that last clip. We go back and forth in email a lot, and he recently told me that he continues to tour with young bands who are bouncing off the walls and clowning in the van when all he wants to do is get some sleep. ;) He said after five or six songs he's ready to collapse, but he keeps going.

The lyric in She Blew It tells his whole story:

You'll never see what's hurting me
'cause I am more than alone

I've probably mentioned that I'm working on a book, and the years I spent playing with him are a big part of it. I know a lot of things about him that I don't think he necessarily wants to see in a book, but such is art, right? I love the guy and I don't want to hurt him, but everyone who tries to play music for a living is a really weird asshole in one way or another. All of us. Even those nice girls you took home from Coachella Rob. ;)

So Sonny. Yeah. I'm up to my ears in him the last few months. I'm in the vid Ambreen posted, for a second here and there. I was the blur to the left of Sonny as you faced the stage.

Thanks Ambreen for finding that- I think it was posted in here a couple of years ago because I remember that the cameraman or editor only shows a blur of you boyfriend.

mjp,
Write the book because we only remember the assholes and the crazy ones.

Just finished "Cabinet of Curiosities" by the mighty Jane's Addiction. I'm always skeptical about shelling out 50bucks for a box set of unreleased stuff. However since most of the 3 discs are demo versions of already released songs, I thought I couldn't go wrong. I was right! for once! It's always fun to hear your favorite songs in the infancy stages and see where they were born from. There are two discs of demos and a few b-sides, the 3rd is a live disc and Jane's is pretty good live! The 4th is a DVD of live performances. If ya like Jane's Addiction, I'm sure you wont be dissapointed with this box set. the packaging is pretty cool too.

I'm listening to the new Bob Dylan album. It has a few good songs, I think.
It came with an extra CD & DVD. The extra CD is a 60 min. radio show called, "Theme Time Radio Hour, hosted by Bob Dylan. Tonight's episode: Friends And Neighbors". Dylans plays country and blues music by people like Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Howlin'Wolf, The Rolling Stones, Little Walther, Carole King, Hank Williams etc.etc.
The DVD was a bit disappointing though. It's a 10 min. interview with Roy Silver, one of Dylan's early managers (or maybe his very first manager?), and there's nothing else on the DVD...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sharon Jones kickin' ass and taking names.

tough it out until about the 2 minute mark. it's worth it just to see awkward white shoegazers trying to funk out. (don't get me wrong, I'm not poking fun, as I too am an awkward white shoegazer. I just have the sense not to get on the same stage as Sharon Jones.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back