What are you listening to? The world needs to know. (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
so, I'm listening to , with the leather pants, sweat and armpit hair. It makes the song almost rock and roll-like when you add those essential elements. Oh yeah.

I saw her in an airport in Germany in 1984 and you'd have thought the Pope or JESUS or Robert DeNiro was walking through there the way people were carrying on.

And I heard your story when you read your long poem, The Last Days of The Sauerkraut Kid. Moving.

All this talk of sauerkraut has me feeling nostalgic. When I lived in Germany, this was always a local favorite.

They were the premier punk band in Germany at the time. Or so I was told. I even saw them in concert once. Seriously. It was weird. Umläuts and lederhosen everywhere.

... The Last Days of The Sauerkraut Kid.

Great one baby!

But never again mock about Nena!
That song came out when I was 12, so I dig it.

Now, being more mature, I'm listening to of really fine diversified german music.

But never again mock about Nena!
That song came out when I was 12, so I dig it.
Oh no, not mocking (it's synth.pop music, what would be the point of mocking it? It mocks itself... ;)), just stating my preference for the more -- earthy version of the video.

Having some Kraut heritage, I take offense to Krauts who don't like Kraut.

Sorry, baby!

But the tang is the thang!

:):(:confused::mad::p;):D:o:rolleyes::cool:

They said it all...outiside of cliques and clicks here.

Word or emoticon up, baby!

Now Muscle Shoals has got the Swampers
And they've been known to pick a song or two
Lord they get me off so much
They pick me up when I'm feeling blue
Now how about you?

I prefer , with the leather pants, sweat and armpit hair. It makes the song almost rock and roll-like when you add those essential elements. Oh yeah.

see, that's the difference between you and me. sure, we both enjoy female armpit hair, but I prefer videos where it looks like the drummer is bored out of his fucking skull.

drummers are funny.

We made the same "hangs out with musicians" joke about bass players 25 years ago. Of course, in rawk music back then the bass just kind of went dumdumdumdumdumdumdum [slide up to the next dot on the fretboard] dumdumdumdumdumdumdum. Being a bass player in one of those mega-Sunset-Strip-hair-bands in the 80's was like winning the lottery, I tell ya. If you could hold a pick and looked good in spandex, you were in.

Or was that punk rock? I forget which...maybe both.

Okay, where is the picture of you in the 80's wearing SPANDEX? I'll show you mine if you'll show me your's?...:eek:CRB:)

I remember those guys, I think they all worked with me at the Tower Video on Sunset in '86. We use to call them hairmos and they all played Glam Rock, wore lots of make-up and silk scarfs in pink and purple. Oh yeah i remember them.:D

Which reminds me, this album had just come out and I had the privileged, well you know the rest.

Dear God XTC

Okay, where is the picture of you in the 80's wearing SPANDEX?
No, no - those were not my people.

Though I do have a picture of myself with KISS from 1975 or early 1976 where I am wearing big satin bellbottoms, which is pretty much along the same lines. In my defense, I didn't pick them out (my equally goofy teenage girlfriend did), but I wore them (with a leather jacket, but of course all the leather in the world can't counterbalance satin bellbottoms). And I rocked them, I must say. In a glam, teenage kind of way.

But luckily the Ramones came along soon after to show me the error of my ways.

The moral of the story, for all you dudes out there, is never let your girlfriend dress you!

The oufit sounds perfect-but now the question is- Was your face painted?
CRB:)

...listening to- Pink Floyd-The Wall, Disc 1, track 6; Mother. :)

Starting the afternoon/evening off with...
Helter Skelter - Dana Fuchs
Up Around The Bend - CCR
What Is Life - George Harrison
Days Like This - Van Morrison
and it goes on.

Right now, I'm listening to my beloved PJ Harvey in order to prepare myself for her parisian concert in may
The two parisian concerts are already sold out. I won't see her that time. A pity.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know, I know, honey.
New breeds arise from older breeds and who's planted the very first seeds?
Whirlwind cavemen screams at a sabletooth barbecue, the neanderthals playing bone drumkits - it must have been music.

[Jeff Buckley]

Excellent choice ;) I remember having spent all summer 2006 listening to all his work, guided by a musician friend whose ultimate influence was, is and will ever be Jeff Buckley.

In the second disc, there's a moment when Jeff begins talking about Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, a pakistani qawwali (a devotionnal music from Sufism) singer whom he considered as his "Elvis" and then he makes a cover from a Nusrat song...I'm from pakistani origins and I happens to speak urdu but I didn't understand one of Jeff's sentences, he has an awful pronounciation, the first time I listened to it, I was laughing and laughing, though Jeff's efforts.

The one I kept listening and listening again at that time :
http://www.musicme.com/#/Jeff-Buckley/albums/Mystery-White-Boy-Live-95-96-5099749797222.html

Oh, my link doesn't lead to the title I wanted to focus on. It was What will you say. Here's a fantastic live version :

lover.gif
lover.gif
lover.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a pre-Machine Head version of Highway Star. This must be from Autumn 1971 or thereabouts. Missing is the famous guitar solo and Roger Glover is still hammering away at his Fender bass instead of the Rickenbacker 4001 he used shortly after that. Some early improvised lyrics from Gillan.

One of my favorite songs, ever. I like the studio version better. The guy who wrote it and plays guitar (in the black shirt) was published in Bottle #3.

Bill

:D Good one. Never under estimate the power of booze, don't you know.

Sorry for the Purple barrage (you can always ignore me, you know?), but here's some more good shit. Wring That Neck from '69 in Bilzen, Belguim, when Nick Simper was still playing bass for these cats. Blackmore rips apart his Gibson ES 330-series axe:

Blackmore scalloped his fingerboards. By that, I mean, he had the wood between the frets "scooped" out a bit so that he could use the frets rather than the fingerboard to root his sound.

I'm not positive that this guitar had that, but his Strats sure did. You can hear a real "metallic" sound in his playing as a result.

Sorry for the Purple barrage (you can always ignore me, you know?), but here's some more good shit. Wring That Neck from '69 in Bilzen, Belguim, when Nick Simper was still playing bass for these cats. Blackmore rips apart his Gibson ES 330-series axe:

Thank you for the stark reminder of how badly Deep Purple sucked prior to In Rock/Machine Head.

It's kind of like listening to the first two Alice Cooper albums. You wonder how the bands that recorded that meandering, self-important dreck ever learned to rock properly.

The 60's ended not a moment too soon. Someone really should have told some of the other bands of that era though...

I rather liked it. All that noodling and all. But it is rather gratuitous, to be sure. But songs like Hush and Kentucky Woman were tight pop tunes that had an edge. It's not quite representative of the Mark I band to lump all their stuff into one dustbin, as it were.

I should probably check out those first two Alice Cooper records. :D

I'm assuming you mean Pretties for You and Easy Action?

I found this little gem on wikipedia (sorry, it's useful for useless crap like titles of bad albums) while researching the names:

"After an unrehearsed stage routine involving Cooper and a live chicken garnered attention from the press, the band decided to capitalize on tabloid sensationalism, creating in the process a new subgenre, shock rock. Cooper claims that the infamous 'Chicken Incident', which took place at the Toronto Rock 'n Roll Revival concert in September 1969, was in fact an accident. A chicken somehow made its way on stage during Alice Cooper's performance. Not having any experience around farm animals, Cooper presumed that, since the chicken had wings, it would be able to fly. He picked it up and threw it out over the crowd, expecting it to fly away; the bird instead plummeted into the first few rows of the crowd occupied by disabled people in wheelchairs, who reportedly proceeded to tear the animal to pieces."

Oh shit, I dare you! Ha ha. I defy anyone to listen to them all the way through.

shit, I hate to admit it but....cooper used to be pretty much an every weekend show around michigan back in those days, my buddies (bros :cool:) and I helped set up a couple of stages for them, loading cases and cases of budwieser on stage. first time I saw him was at a sunday free concert at a park in Jackson. Hell we thought that it was some woman named alice. If I remember right he did some spoken word at that show. even had us freaks scratching our heads,(from bewilderment, not hygine). anyhow, yeah I wouldn't want to know how many times I listened to that awful stuff.

In San Bernardino in the 70s, my friends saw someone throw an M-80 at Alice Cooper on stage. That upset him a bit. I opted out of going to that concert.
Isn't Alice Cooper the one who did Dead Babies Can't Take Things Off the Shelf?

Too much AC for me to be coherent. Early single as doc.

Most of the pretties and easy stuff has been yanked from youtube. A few years back my sister's kid was grumbling that it was too cold (they lived north of Prince George) and my sister's response was "I'm freezing I'm frozen I'm icicle blue" from Refrigerator Heaven. The days when a hit (I'm 18) would get the back catalogue reissued and I bought it all and played the shit out of it. Guess my sister was listening as well.

yearsofrefusal.jpg

an "industry insider" ;) gave me an advance review copy of this.

I bought the cd the other day and I'm liking it very much. his strongest and most consistent work in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back