What are you listening to? The world really needs to know. #7 (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
gold.
61n1irqMKKL.jpg

My friend is in a band called The Sparklers, a power-pop, sorta alt-country band. They're good. Doing a youtube search I found another band by the same name and their shit is really good.

Welcome to Jamrock, Damian "Junior Gong" Marley rhymes over Ini Kamoze's "World A Music," a 1983 track with Sly and Robbie. Damian is the son of Bob and Cindy Breakspeare, who was Miss World in 1976.

"To win election them trick we, then them don't do nothing at all..." Sounds familiar.

We had Bicol Express last night liberally infused with Komodo Dragon chilies. It was fair warning. This morning I heard, while sitting on the bog:

Why, the subconscious and arse are inextricably linked.

Last edited:
For today's installment, songs from the past 10 years or so that never fail to get me fiesty and wish I stuck with one of those bands from high school that never made it out of the basement...

i read that hank sr himself said to his band "boys, the only thing worse than a wife that wants to be in show business is a wife that wants to be in show business
with no talent."

there's a live radio version that's worse but i couldn't find it...

[This video is unavailable.]
(Audrey Williams - Honky Tonkin')

It's not that bad. If you listen to old hillbilly or western swing music, you'll hear a lot of vocals that are just about the same as that. A lot of the singers were amateurs or naive or whatever you want to call it. Now legend has it that Audrey was what they call a pain in the ass, and more than a little full of herself, and that's probably why a lot of people judge her records so harshly. If you're going to come like a star you better perform like a star. I'd agree with that.

But then again, just the other day I was listening to some songs that I engineered and played on for a friend of mine, and to say this guy couldn't sing is an understatement. But he was very sincere, which makes his shaky, weird vocals kind of charming or endearing. Funny though, he released an album not too long ago, and it's all instrumentals. Ha. I guess eventually he got the memo.

well, tone makes up for alot of other vocal shortcomings, and that more than anything sank her ship.

i've listened to a fair bit of old hillbilly stuff and can't recall anyone's voice that was that unpleasant to the ear, though i'm sure it's out there.

shaky weird vocals can sound great. i absolutely love lou reed but i "lol" regularly at how off key he can go. but he wouldn't be as great without it.

can't recall anyone's voice that was that unpleasant to the ear, though i'm sure it's out there.
Oh, it's out there. And I guess if we go back to 78s, everyone's voice sounded like nails on a chalkboard.

I think a lot of shortcomings were overlooked on early recordings because most people were used to hearing live music in their own homes. Meaning most people played some kind of instrument and sang. Everyone sang. And when everyone sings, a lot of really bad singers sing. So maybe in the early days people's ears were more forgiving.

We didn't really have music as a profession until the 20th century. And once the recording industry convinced us that our lives would be so much better if we only listened to "professionals," a lot of people put down their instruments for good, and I think that's a shame. Everyone should be able to bang out a song in their living room, whether they suck at singing or playing or not. It feels good.

I was thinking about that a few months ago, remembering how many of my uncles played the guitar when I was a kid in the 60s. I had about 10 uncles all told, and I can't think of one who didn't play, or an aunt who couldn't be convinced to sing a song or two when we were all together for Christmas or the 4th of July or whatever. They would just as often use those guitars as weapons when they'd get into fights after a lot of drinking and singing down there in whoever's basement, but come on - what would Christmas eve be without a family brawl?

Anyway, I suppose people still make music at home, but they probably do it on their phones or tablets. Which is just sad, because no matter how drunk you get on the holidays, you can't really smash someone across the back of the head with an iPhone...it's just not an effective weapon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back