What are you listening to? The world really needs to know. #7

Discussion in 'Movies, music, TV, art' started by mjp, Aug 24, 2015.

1. LickTheStar

LickTheStar Sad Flower in the Sand Redwood Original Unholy Ones

A couple years ago, it was Courney Barnett, now for Australian groups it's Middle Kids. They were just on Conan this week and I'm obsessed.

Andreas and PhillyDave like this.
  2. mjp

mjp President First 9 Reaper Crew Men of Mayhem Unholy Ones

I thought for Australian groups it was Radio Birdman...

PhillyDave, Short Bus and LickTheStar like this.
  3. mjp

Samory I - Rasta Nuh Gangsta

4. Digney in Burnaby

Digney in Burnaby donkeys live a long time Redwood Original Unholy Ones

Watched that Stooges documentary again (on t.v.) and want this version to play, not the one that they chose.

PhillyDave likes this.
  5. mjp

I bought that Siamese Records 45 when I was a teenager. Somehow it survived the night I drunkenly Frisbee'd most of my punk 45s into the Venice night. I still have it.

I don't remember why I threw the records out into the neighborhood, but I must have had a reason at the time. Or maybe not. Someone walked out their front door the next morning and found my rare copy of City Slang in their garden. I hope they got some enjoyment out of it.

For the record (get it?), I didn't hear any glass breaking as I tossed them, so I don't think anyone was hurt.

6. Johannes

Johannes First 9 Redwood Original Unholy Ones

7. Black Swan

Black Swan Abord the Yorikke! ROAD CAPTAIN Unholy Ones

8. number6horse

number6horse okyoutwopixiesoutyougo Redwood Original Unholy Ones

Sounds like you were enthusiastically embracing the coming CD era ? If so, I salute you. I held on to all my vinyl for no good reason until the mid-2000's. Put the record collection and turntable out in the alley for the neighborhood hipsters. I hope they enjoyed the K-Tel Hits collections and Bachman Turner Overdrive.

Purple Stickpin likes this.
  9. mjp

I did essentially the same thing by selling it all off piecemeal. You know, except for what I tossed out into the void. The death of a thousand cuts is what it was.

Now, like a lot of old people, I have bought it all back. Some of those LPs I bought for $8 and sold for $1 or $2 are costing $30 or $40 (or more) to replace now. When they can be replaced.

It's funny you should post this while I'm playing (and recording) an LP that is not available on CD.

stereo.jpg

10. Purple Stickpin

Purple Stickpin Men of Mayhem Unholy Ones

Y'know, you're supposed to lock your D4 disc cleaner bottle in that discwasher with the red plastic brush.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  11. mjp

I don't lock up anything man, I'm not part of that oppressive system! :emo:

I have a modern, space-age, electrostatic record cleaning brush, but I usually find myself reaching for the ancient Discwasher. And pulling the brush out of the bottle hole.

That's actually an old record cabinet the turntable and cassette deck are sitting on. I have about 150 LPs and 12" in there, and it could easily hold 50 more. Craigslist FTW!

P1030803.jpg

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  12. d gray

d gray tried to do his best but could not First 9 Redwood Original Unholy Ones

Love that old rotary phone. My son saw one recently and had to ask how to use it!

13. Johannes

Years ago while zapping I saw parts of a movie about a gay musician who was forced by his family to marry a woman or something.

Couldn't remember the story but I remembered this one scene where they argued during a family dinner and the musican ran away, leaving you to believe that this was it but then he suddendly returns with his clarinet and plays for the whole family, which kind of breaks the tension.

While this might sound kind of douchey and probably is I remembered it because up to then I thought the clarinet is one boring ass instrument for stiff orchestras and shit. But this was the most awesome sounding clarinet I'd ever heard, like haunted and screaming and like a blues instrument.

Finally I found the movie I saw, obviously a french film called Man Is a Woman (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_Is_a_Woman).

The guy who did the music is Giora Feidman.

Long story to say this is one kick ass clarinet!

14. mjp

Not surprising. People who come over sometimes pick it up to make a joke, then are usually shocked to hear a dial tone. Like some long lost mating call that they remember making them feel good...

They're great though. They work when nothing else does. We were without electricity for 24 hours a couple weeks ago, and we were sitting in the living room listening to something on NPR on the portable radio, and I looked the phone and said to Carol, "We should make some prank calls." It inspires that kind of thought in you.

LickTheStar likes this.
  15. d gray

yeah we have two landline phones in the house. but not a cool black retro one like that. i'll have to hit the local thrift stores and pick one up.

great for power outs as you said.

16. d gray

17. Purple Stickpin

Purple Stickpin Men of Mayhem Unholy Ones

If anyone digs Harry, the RCA Albums Collection Box set is a must-have.17 CDs for about $70. There are a few clunkers, but there are very, very many gems.

18. bogdan

bogdan Prospect

19. PhillyDave

PhillyDave rock, hill Redwood Original Unholy Ones

Hey, Mike Watt. Noice. ;)

20. d gray

is dee dee ramone considered a good bass player?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    Johannes and PhillyDave like this.
  21. Pogue Mahone

Pogue Mahone Officials say drugs may have played a part Redwood Original

New song I'm kind of digging.

22. d gray

great wrecking crew session with beauty isolated vocals and then the finished tune at the end.

edit - better throw the maestro in for good measure...

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    Purple Stickpin likes this.
  23. Pogue Mahone

This baby is more relevant now than ever before. Screw the book 1984, keep a copy of Animal Farm on your desk at work. It scares them a bit.

LickTheStar and Johannes like this.
  24. Pogue Mahone

25. LickTheStar

LickTheStar Sad Flower in the Sand Redwood Original Unholy Ones

I'm embarrassed I haven't heard of these folks before last month.

Ah well, I should be used to being a step behind.

26. d gray

27. Short Bus

Short Bus Prospect Unholy Ones

It's funny you should post this while I'm playing (and recording) an LP that is not available on CD.

What LP?

28. Short Bus

Short Bus Prospect Unholy Ones

29. Johannes

30. PhillyDave

PhillyDave rock, hill Redwood Original Unholy Ones