What are you listening to? The world really needs to know - III (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ponder posted a track a few months ago of this band and I liked it and dug a bit further. Another track from the same album/cd I bought:

I like that la bottine souriante tune. They sound like a good kitchen band. Big kitchen I suppose but I started thinking of String Band and La Bolduc and other stuff. Settled on Stan Rogers. (Everyone seems to either be up late or up early. New Year. Up late.)

[This video is unavailable.]

Caught a bit of this band on PBS last night. Cared nothing for their 80's output or beyond but this album from '78 is a real gem.

Beacons by Cloudkicker- ambient instrumental progressive metal
All albums by Amon Amarth- powerful Viking metal
The Red Album & The Blue Album by Baroness- the best band I've heard in years. So much more than a metal band.
All albums by Screaming Females- power pop, I suppose. Marissa is an incredible guitarist.
High on Fire- Straight up hard rockin' metal. If you like Motorhead...
Sabotage by Black Sabbath- obviously.
Meditations & Interstellar Space by John Coltrane- so good.
Free Jazz by Ornette Coleman- what took me so long to discover this?
Reign in Blood by Slayer- this was too heavy for me as a teenager, but I really love it now.
My War by Black Flag- some good stuff on this album.

I've also been exploring classical music lately on Pandora trying to figure out what I like.

Well it's been fun. My parents number is the same. You can reach me through them.

I've had those ear worms over the years. Beats the hell out of a long stretch of just static (mostly at work, but it carried on home). Now that is the definition of insanity. A couple nights ago I was singing that Stan Rogers sea shanty from above. "God damn them all" is a cool lyric to repeat. One time I had the song below going through my head until it hurt.

About this time of year I really start to hate you people that live in year-round warmth. During the winter the radio stations around here rub it in by going heavy on the California sound. I suppose they think subconsciously you'll feel all warm and toasty inside by some aural osmosis. Bullshit! Love this song, though.

Please don't hate me but I can't help finding Alannah Myles rather hot in this one. Maybe it's the black leather.

I don't know what's wrong, but thank god after five minutes it's over and I'm back to avant-garde jazz symphonies and Edgar Varese.

Thank you.

the isolated drums from this is great as well if it's your fancy -

These isolated parts are really starting to crop up. It's amazing to me how crude some of them sound and yet the final mix is just spot on (or is it just what our ears are used to?).

What's cool about this is just how how country Townshend's playing could be.

The Boss.
different versions (partly bootlegs) of:

- Lost in the Flood
- Racing in the Streets
- Jungleland
- Backstreets

Top notch . Audio . I'm out of the swamp . Space ,. Punctuation . . Space

1984 bought It's Hard , off the shelf Walkin' the streets ! 5 years old . no judges in sight.
repaired a type writer today . 1st time for every thing , didn't cost a dime .
( listening to D gray post three frames up)
thanks, Shane

YouTube - 2010-07-31 20 36 helpless.mov learning new stuff every day

YouTube - 2010 07 31 19 52 when she walks away

just click it right left left. Thats all i needed to know.

By the end of this week I will have dumped my entire vinyl collection.
Bye-bye turntable and speakers and apple crates that held the albums
and all things 1979

A big step for me - Wish me kuck...

Then I guess you just have to listen to music on line now. There is plenty here . Good Luck.
Bye-Bye albums. So thats how you clean up.

The mockingbird had been following the cat
all summer
mocking mocking mocking
teasing and cocksure;
the cat crawled under rockers on porches
tail flashing
and said something angry to the mockingbird
which I didn't understand.

Yesterday the cat walked calmly up the driveway
with the mochingbird alive in its mouth,
wings fanned, beautiful wings fanned and flopping,
feathers parted like a woman's legs,
and the bird was no longer mocking,
it was asking, it was praying
but the cat
striding down through centuries
would not listen.
I saw it crawl under a yellow car
with the bird
to bargain it to another place.

summer was over.

C.B.

one for the kids . I cannot say enough about stage presence.

Stringbean - Chewin Chewin Gum

Favorite song about a cat:

Favorite song about a dog (actually my favorite dog song is John Hiatt's "My Dog and Me" but in the Quisp-induced sugary hazy days of youth I adored the TV show Lassie so for nostalgic reasons I went with this one):

Very good, this late on a Saturday morning.
Diarvin.jpg

I still have the original Sub Pop release of Bleach. Played it at a party and everyone hated it. Those same people were big fans two years later thanks to MTV.

oh man i LOVE first aid kit!! but my new favourite band is:

honestly, i like maybe a handful of actual bands/artists (i usually like individual songs, on rare occasions a whole album) and this is one that i discovered on npr.

whoops, the first aid kit thing is a reference to a post by mjp several pages back - i didn't realise i wasn't on the current page!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back