What are you listening to? The world really needs to know - Mark IV (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never heard this one before.
And I wish I hadn't heard it now.

I think Carol saw the Police at Hollywood park, so they have a history of booking bands.

When I was with Boom Shaka we did a gig at a dog track in Mexico.

The circle of life.

And I wish I hadn't heard it now.
When I was with Boom Shaka we did a gig at a dog track in Mexico.

Yeah! That was bad, I know. Especially the song.
You had me listening to Boom Shaka and this one came up. It was pretty good.
Your dog track gig may have made this doggie happy! :)

Aaaahhh, yeah, a different Boom Shaka I'm referring to:

The group started in 1986, when there wasn't another Boom Shaka out there on the scene. Now it seems to be a common name for all kinds of shit.

Was she good or bad - I don't really know, but if only for I Feel Love, RIP Donna Summer.

[This video is unavailable.]

Lot & lots of unknown reggae gems (to me at least) to be discovered here:
Burning Rockers Radio

The station has a good high quality stream as well.

Rockers!

I didn't hear any Rockers rhythms, but I guess that's a generic tag they stick onto any reggae these days. But I suppose you'd need a dictionary to keep track of all the rhythms reggae has gone through.

I'm always surprised by how broad the scope is on some of the generic reggae channels on services like Pandora or DirecTV. I hear things that I never thought I'd hear again in my life. You'd think it was actually a popular genre of music. ;)

The Sugarman 3 - What the World Needs Now

http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/...am-sugarman-3---what-the-world-needs-now.html

The Sugarman 3 - What the World Needs Now.jpg

Probably the most annoying band in my history of loving music (well, there's always REM). Odd; Heads are extremely talented but they just annoy the shit out of me right down to the entrails.

I do like Belew, of course. But he had the advantage of playing with Zappa and then diluting the annoyance factor in King Crimson.

I stand corrected. That's the worst piece of horseshit I've never bothered to listen to for more than 23 seconds.

I appreciate the bugger the system crap. You can't bugger the system with crap. They tried. They junked. They ultimately failed.

Dylan in '66 proved to be more punk than the punks ever did. He maintained that attitude even when he didn't play the plastic placard designed to herd shoppers into the zone that lemmings go when they see the genre that they think makes them cool. Remember record stores?

Stickpin, you drunk? The only time Dylan was Punk was when he went Born-again Christian and released Slow Train Coming. Punk works in mysterious ways. Heh.

I think the Talking Heads are (is?) one of those bands that really divide people. '82-'85 were years that really formed a shift in my listening and bands like Talking Heads, the Smiths, Minutemen, Husker Du, the Replacements, etc. led the charge.

And of course Dylan is punk in whatever he does.

Reactions: mjp
Guys like David Byrne and Paul Simon have always bugged me with their, "Last year I was a country singer! This year I'm African! Next year I'll be from New Orleans!" kind of musical costume-change shenanigans.

I don't know if I'd lump them in with REM though, because Byrne and Simon are talented. REM are just an unfortunate shitstain on history.

Mr. Dylan could eat all three of them for breakfast.

Why isn't Aimee Mann a pop music superstar and modern music legend? That's the question of the day. In a true and just universe she would be more well known than J Lo, Justin Timberlake and Lady Gaga combined.

But if there's anything I've learned (and that's debatable) it's that a true and just universe is a fallacy and a utopian trick.

Guys like David Byrne and Paul Simon have always bugged me with their, "Last year I was a country singer! This year I'm African! Next year I'll be from New Orleans!" kind of musical costume-change shenanigans.

I don't know if I'd lump them in with REM though, because Byrne and Simon are talented. REM are just an unfortunate shitstain on history.

Mr. Dylan could eat all three of them for breakfast.
Graceland is being re-released for its 25th anniversary or something. I saw an ad for it on TV the other day. It reminded me just how much I hate that album and Simon's 'Afro folk phase'. Art Garfunkel always had a better Afro anyway. I do like their stuff as a duo though, I must admit. I agree about REM as well. Shiny Happy People. Fuck right off.

Johnny Thunders on a Stockholm TV show, 1982. It was a doomed tour from the start with police hassling them everywhere they went. I'd heard Johnny couldn't play at that time, and this is a pretty good demonstration of that. It's funny, in a punk rock meets heroin kind of way, but it's always a little sad to see him fuck things up.

That's Luigi playing bass. He thought he was Johnny Thunders. Right after this tour he came to Minneapolis and played with Sonny and I in the Extreme for a few months.

The real fun starts around the 8:00 mark.

[This video is unavailable.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back