What are you listening to? The world really needs to know - Mark IV (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fantastic, my favourite track is How Soon is Now, sounds fresh every time. Can't explain why but the 'shaky' guitar (my ignorance) reminds me of Rumble by Link Wray so much.
Did a visual ever fail to deliver the package as badly as this one? ignore the poster: The music just oozes danger,sex and rebellion:

HS, I had to post this, for you to listen to them back to back (Rumble and this) like I have them on a playlist on my IPod (just so you know I'm not bananas) they run in together fantastic: ( I'm off to work now!)

[This video is unavailable.]

Not sure if Johnny Marr ever mentioned 'Rumble' but I know he freely admits to being inspired by 'Disco Stomp'...

... but like so many other good dance tunes, there's a good measure of Bo Diddley in there.

Aagghhh!! that's truly, truly disturbing. PS this may sound sacrilegious, but, sometimes, I would love to hear The Smiths, particularly How Soon Is Now? - without Morrissey's vocals, just the beauty of the music, especially Marr's guitar.Is that bad??

soft-rock group america prophecises 9-11. well, i read it on the internet so it must be true...

HS that disco post of yours has profoundly shaken me, to release myself of the horror, have posted the fantastic ( and gorgeous) Mirwais 'Disco Science' as seen in the brilliant film Snatch ( hare coursing scene). Although informed by my daughter she thinks she has a cool mummy, because I hang around with my IPod on a lot! I gave up trying to be cool at 25. I now confine that, to when I have the house to myself and I can bop away in private. This just washes over you, fantastic, although I am mostly a drums and guitar four piece band type you can't dismiss fantastic dance music like this can you?

I remember it in the film. Listening to it now it sounds like music from a film rather than a piece of dance music that was put in a film - but I don't know if it was originally recorded for the film or not. Don't know if I would dance to it - some nice noises in there but not much soul. But there is a sample of The Breeders' Cannonball in there.

I heard the new (much hyped) Daft Punk album today. Very disappointing. :((

Released as a dance single first, but probably ended up in Snatch via Guy Ritchie via Madonna, (probably) who collaborated with him. Strangely, I don't find it clinical at all, unlike a lot of dance music, , not sure if it's the funky wee guitar bits or what - how technical is that! and yes for me it's a great dance track (you just ain't doin it right), Don't like what I've heard of Daft Punk,(boring) I'll pass on that, leave it for the next generation, got to be selective at my age!

Jimmy Cliff's REBIRTH slipped under my radar last summer.
Not one of his worst efforts in later years.
Some good cover versions there.
New lyrics to World Upside Down?

Question: Who put out the original version of Cry No More.
One net.source mentions Marley, but I can't find the original.
Children's Bread must also be a cover. Yes?
MJP?

Cry No More and Children's Bread are not covers or old songs. All the songs on that record were written to sound like they were from the 60s or 70s, but only a few of them are covers. Most of them were written for the record by Cliff, or Cliff and the guy from Rancid who produced it.

Jimmy Cliff was on the Guitar Center show recently, it was interesting to see him doing his thing after all this time. I was never a particularly big fan, but I saw him open for Peter Tosh once, and he blew Tosh off the stage. Which is no small feat.

"All the songs on that record were written to sound like they were from the 60s or 70s"

OK. Nice. Not a bad trick. The producer did a good job.
Can't blame a guy for going back to his roots.
And he sings pretty good for a 64-year old.

He also put a bunch of new lyrics to World Upside Down, didn't he.
Do reggae artists still allow use of their songs in that way?
I seem to remember there was a sort of unsigned agreemant among reggae artists about using each other's songs...

He also put a bunch of new lyrics to World Upside Down, didn't he.
Do reggae artists still allow use of their songs in that way?
Reggae singers, musicians and producers have always had a unique view of things like copyright.

That probably stems from the old Jamaican practice of a dozen singers all making records with the same instrumental track. Something they still do to this day. If a producer has a hot riddim, thy will fully exploit it, until people can't stand to hear it anymore. It's something that has always puzzled people in the music business outside of Jamaica.

It's funny because all of those Jamaican singers do other people's songs (or have done them), but many of them get wound up in royalty disputes of their own. So they are a bit schizophrenic when it comes to who should get paid for a song.

Notice that Jimmy Cliff put his name on the Joe Higgs song. He considers himself a co-writer because he replaced some lyrics? I don't know, but that's pretty typical.

By the way, for any of you who like reggae and haven't checked out Joe Higgs, you should definitely do so. He's an originator. He tutored the young Wailers, and even went on tour with them in the early 70s when Bunny quit.

He's a great songwriter, one of many from Jamaica you may have never heard of. Guys like Joe Higgs and Bob Andy, had they grown up in Detroit or Philadelphia, would have probably become famous R&B singer/songwriters. I'm glad they made reggae, but they may have made more money up here.

Or not, considering the way things usually went back in the day.

Yeah I discovered Higgs thru that Marley documentary you were plugging a while back. Great film. And Higgs was a thrill to discove,r for the first time, trhu it. So long after.

By the way: Have you got Spotify up and running in the US yet? Maybe we could set up a Buknet playlist there. The "what are you listening to now" thread would make a great playlist.

PS: This Higgs album surprised me with its somber tone. Most reggae has a sort of happiness to it (don't know how else to put it).. but this Higgs album adds something darker. Maybe its just his voice. Priceless:

Life of Contradiction

PS: Strange how a modern slick production can rip the soul out of those early reggae gems:

Upside Down

Just found out about this. St Louis Blues meets Appalachian hoedown. Maybe I'm the only one who loves a good old run on the upright bass, but something real nice happens here at about 8:27

First track The Jam from 1978, fell in love with these lyrics. Second track 25yrs later 15 years later he still looks the same mostly, reckon he has a portrait in his attic perhaps?

...By the way, for any of you who like reggae and haven't checked out Joe Higgs, you should definitely do so. He's an originator....

Phenomenal. New to me, for sure. As an aside did that pennywhistle at about 2:30 come out of nowhere just to blow my mind on this particular day and time? Don't recall ever hearing anything like it in reggae but I could totally be remiss as usual ...

Funny but I think Higgs actually sued Peter Tosh for copyright infringement. Don't know more than that. Remember Joe Higgs well from Jimmy Cliff Live. Amazing version of Sitting Here In Limbo.

I think Higgs actually sued Peter Tosh for copyright infringement.
His beef was with Columbia records, not Tosh. Higgs didn't get credit for Steppin' Razor, which he wrote. Eventually he did win the case, but he couldn't get back royalties, so "win" is relative.

But every one of those guys did that. Scratch Perry wrote or co-wrote a few songs with Bob that he didn't get credit on, but Scratch also sold a lot of Wailers records without paying those guys any royalties.

No one signed any papers down there (Bob wouldn't even sign a will when he knew he was dying), so things were always murky and sometimes contentious.

fyi as to Jimmy Cliff. Tim Armstrong, the main songwriter and usual lead singer for Rancid, produced REBIRTH. On his own site as Tim Timebomb & Friends he covers many seemingly random songs including ones he's written or cowritten outside of Rancid. "Children's Bread" is one such song. Pretty good.

Funny, the link between reggae and punk. It seems natural, both having anti-establishment outlooks, but punks really came to embrace reggae because of one guy, Don Letts. He was a DJ at one of the early English punk clubs, and he played reggae records for the filthy little ragamuffins, who went on to embrace it (and cover reggae songs). Those cover versions were the gateway drug for a lot of people.

I have to wonder if that link would have ever been established had it been an American DJ doing the same thing. Or Hilly Kristal filling the jukebox at CBGB with reggae singles. Somehow I doubt it.

Right mjp. As to reggae and the Don Letts connection I think of Clash things, the cover of the "Black Market Clash" ep. The dude in front of the line of police is Don Letts. In one of the Clash docs he said he was actually getting out of the way, not confronting as the pic implies. Also, here's a killer punk/reggae winner:

and

First track The Jam from 1978, fell in love with these lyrics. Second track 25yrs later 15 years later he still looks the same mostly, reckon he has a portrait in his attic perhaps?
Love all Jam and saw Weller a few years ago. That being said Weller's xbeen stale lately. "Sunflower" IS a 'un.

Got to agree about going stale, he may come back again though, don't know about you, but I gave all the Style Council stuff the body swerve. In '79 The Jam came to our home town, my friend and I and her big brother went to see them at a signing in the local record shop being only 15 and painfully shy, had to get my friend's brother to get my record signed as I was awe struck and struck dumb all at once, hid up the back and peeked at them though.

Love all Jam and saw Weller a few years ago. That being said Weller's xbeen stale lately. "Sunflower" IS a 'un.

Glad you liked/like The Clash and The Jam too! as there seems to be an either /or thing doesn't there? a bit like The Beatles and The Stones. For me The Jam were always clearly identifiable as working class (same as The Undertones) and their politics left wing, (as were The Clash obviously, although they hid/rejected their more middle class/priviledged roots well) and although Joe Strummer denied the shot about 'Burton Suits' in White Man at Hammersmith Palais ( love that track) being a dig at The Jam, everybody thought it was.Regardless, The Clash 'liked' them and they toured together in 1977 apparently. Suppose the whole Mods and Rockers revival thing divided them really, anyhoo, it was all good.PS re Sunflower Paul Wellar's Wildwood and U2's Achtung Baby have got to be 2 of my favourite albums from the Early 90's

Yeah, turned on to the Jam through my Anglophile friend when we were in 6th(?) grade- Beatles, Stones, The Jam (specifically SNAP!) and Dr Who. Then i became a BIG Clash & U2 fan. Haven't been interested in U2 since prob early 90's. Here's some good early U2

nomeansno-wrong%281%29.jpg

(2005 reissue)

just read that Ray Manzarek died. The Doors had their flaws, but when I was 15/16 I thought they were the bees knees.

What did you think of Ian Astbury of The Cult joining them in the 90's for some performances and the concert for JM's would have been 60th Birthday concert. in Paris? not a bad choice.
On that note; since it is the 30th anniversary year of The Cult

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back