What are you listening to? The world really needs to know. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's Friday the 13th - Woooooo Hooooo!!!!!

So in honor of that....

The Murderdolls - Beyond the Valley of the Murderdolls

and once it's done moving on to lead singer Wednesday 13's solo stuff!

Double play; Black Uhuru Vampire and Emotional Slaughter.

[This video is unavailable.]

These sound so thin in these videos that I hesitate to post them. But the moderators won't let me upload high quality MP3, so what can we do. Imagine the bass is really prominent and you can feel it in your chest. Use your imagination. Or better yet, go out and buy the records and listen to them on your amped up subwoofer dolby thingy you got in your house there.

Those were both good, and now I want to hear them with some bass pumping through my chest! You know, I spent so many years idolizing Marley and everything he did, I really missed out on a lot, well probably all reggae. I have always collected anything Bob ever did, then sometime in the 90's starting collecting everything his kids did. I've also got everything that anyone associated with him ever put out, like Tosh, Wailer, etc. However that's pretty much it, that's my reggae collection. Sad, those two Black Uhuru songs above, prove I really was a teenage idiot, when I'd go around telling all my friends, if it aint Bob, or somehow related to him, screw it, I don't wanna hear it! Oh well, there's time for me yet!

And at 10:15 am on this Sunday morning, I'm listening to Devendra Banhart.

I've also got everything that anyone associated with him ever put out, like Tosh, Wailer, etc.
You think so? ;)

There are so many recordings by the Wailers as a group and by Marley Tosh and Bunny separately I don't think I'll ever hear them all. Especially since so many of them were Jamaican 45s pressed in tiny amounts. Check out Bob Marley and the Wailers: The Definitive Discography to see what you're missing. Then spend the rest of your life trying to track it all down.

The Hip-O/JAD box sets will get you halfway there (if you don't already have them): Hip-O 1, Hip-O 2, Hip-O 3, JAD 1, JAD 2, JAD 3. They are a little bit primitive sounding compared to the Tuff Gong/Island recordings, but they are the shit. This is how the world (Jamaica and England anyway) heard the Wailers before America even knew they existed.

But as far as reggae in general, yeah, there's a whole universe out there beyond the Wailers.

Oh yeah, I hear ya. I should have said all the stuff that was readily available in the U.S. No doubt I'd probably never be able to track it all down. I do have all 3 JAD sets, and the Hip-O 1, but don't have 2 or 3. I'll have to pick those up. I was just looking through my cds to find one of the JAD sets to throw on and I came across a bunch of these live CD's I'm sitting here and wondering where in the heck did I get these live CD's? I'm positive I didn't get them through the internet? I vaguely remember mail order of some sort? But now it's bugging me. This one is Live @ Lyceum in London. Hmmm, they were made in Japan. Any thoughts on where these may have come from? Well wait a minute, the disc says it was made in 1997... I've been an eBay member since 1998, so maybe I did get them on there.It's listed on Amazon, but says currently unavailable.

bob.jpg

Seems like that Lyceum concert has been released about a hundred times. Live at the Roxy is probably the best live recording. The later live stuff tends to be a little too similar from show to show.

But as far as reggae in general, yeah, there's a whole universe out there beyond the Wailers.

And it all sounds the exact fucking same.

I agree about the French bullshit, though. About time someone said it, even a prick like mjp.

OK...rebanned in 10...9...8...7...wait for it...6...5....

Yeah, Live at the Roxy is sweet. Looking at my Cd's, it seems it was officially released in 2003. I have one of the Japanese bootlegs, with the exact quality and set list that I got in 1998. Another funny thing, the original Bob Marley & The Wailers: Live!says it was recorded on July 18th 1975 at the Lyceum and has 7 songs on it. Well mine has 7, the re-issue shows 8. The Lyceum bootleg I showed above has 18 songs on it, but does not list when it was recorded. I thought maybe it was the whole show recorded in July of 1975. However not one of the songs on the Japanese CD are on the official CD release. So I guess it was another date, another performance. But all of these Japanese bootlegs have great sound quality, so at least there's that. And in the end, this discussion made me pull out a CD I bought earlier this year, and listened to maybe only two times. As I listen to it right now, eh, I can kind of see why I only listened to it 2x. I saw Ziggy at the House of Blues in Hollywood in 97 or 98, can't remeber. The opening band was called Ghetto Youth's, which was basically every Marley son except Ziggy. I remember thinking it was the greatest thing I had ever seen. It was basically hip hop/rap/reggae all mashed together. I always wanted them to put out a real release, and the Ghetto Youth did, but not with the same line-up. Actually if I remember it was a compilation of songs with other Jamacian artists. I have the album, but it is nothing like that performance back in the day. I mention this because listening to the Nas/Damian CD, it's almost in the same style, but doesn't grab me as much, probably cause I'm not a fan of Nas.

Nas & Damian Marley - Distant Relatives

damian.jpg

For a sample, the first and only(???) single and probably the best song on the album: As We Enter

I preferred Damian teaming with Cypress Hill, much more than Nas.

Some nice wah pedal work here, though the dirty hippies didn't even bother to comb their hair before the taping. Shame about that sweet Les Paul Special all fucked up and customized, but the sound is still there.

SOB playing the Precision has got some stones too. Ah, the Old Midnight Special; the days of wondering what real boobs looked like and getting baked for the first time. No overdubs either.

This week I've mainly been listening to Bob Dylan on my I-pod, Neil Young's Zuma on my record player - damn good record, not quite as great as After The Goldrush though - and yesterday online a bit of Bruce Springsteen which lead onto me remembering the new record by the great Gaslight Anthem. It's called American Slang and it's the best piece of blue collar punk-blues I've heard in years and you can audio stream it from the Rolling Stone website. Go, listen to it now. Then late last night once I'd become quite heavily sedated this other great new band Best Coast who are just beautiful noise-driven pop made by a bunch of potheads. Wonderful!

Feeling a bit pissed with corporate America and my job lately, haha, so what else but...

battleof.jpg

Listen to Jerry Lee Lewis and friends on my space, new CD with a lot of new and old songs from anybody....

Hoochmonkey, gotta say I agree with you on that one, in my top ten no doubt! Did you hear Dan's solo album? Also amazing.

no worries. great band. not like it's the White Stripes or anything...

This and Mahler helped me through many a restless nights. First love is Punk, but you are missing out if your life is diet free of jazz (and classical, too). IMO, of course.

grey.jpg

i'm sure this may be sacrilegious to some of the Beatle's fans on here. So I apologize, but The Beatles are one of my faves and I still enjoy this album. It's mixed and produced by Danger Mouse(and hey Hooch, he produced the Black Keys last album!) Anyway, it's Jay-Z's Black album all mixed up with the Beatles White Album. Here's the story if anyones interested.

so, I'm currently listening to:

The Grey Album - Jay-Z - Danger Mouse and the Beatles kind of.

The video below mixes 99 problems with Helter Skelter. Why am I afraid of the backlash on posting this album? Come on, it's good!

There was a time I thought Mike Skinner was going to give Eminem a run for his money. Eh, not so much anymore, he doesn't really compare, but this album is still a classic and it's nice and chunky on vinyl.

pirate.jpg

After a long work day (13 hrs), this is the right stuff to relax to. Her voice gives the music wings to fly me away.

I had never heard of Portishead until I went to the Kroq accoustic xmas in like 1998? They were one of the bands and I swear they gave me chills for their entire set. They were amazing.

Good song, Mark. I feel like leaning back forever and staring into eternitiy. I feel like on weed.

Here is one for the road:

[This video is unavailable.]

I'm going to with a friend to see the Rob Zombie and Alice Cooper (Who's 70's albums I love) on the 30th of this month. So I'm listening to his latest album(2008) and crossing my fingers that he doesn't play more than maybe one song from this album!

cooper.jpg

Here's the one song I wouldn't mind hearing. Slash's guitar work is pretty cool in it.

Don't worry, he'll play all the songs you expect.

That was a great band back in the 70s. They were always dismissed because of the theatrics, but they could kick some ass. I was tear-gassed at a Cooper show in the 70s. People thought it was part of the show, but some knucklehead just opened up a tear gas canister (two rows in front of me) and that side of the arena emptied out right quick.

That certainly sounds pretty rock n' roll and no doubt I would have confused that for part of the show... Well I just found a set list from the current tour with Zombie. You're right, playing the oldies, so looks like it should be a fun night.
Here is the set list from the tour:

School's Out Play
Department Of Youth
I'm Eighteen
Wicked Young Man
Ballad Of Dwight Fry
Go To Hell
Guilty
Cold Ethyl
Poison
From The Inside
Nurse Rozetta
Be My Lover
Only Women Bleed
I Never Cry
Black Widow Jam
Vengeance Is Mine
Dirty Diamonds
Billion Dollar Babies
Killer
I Love The Dead
No More Mr. Nice
Under My Wheels

I had never heard of Portishead until I went to the Kroq accoustic xmas in like 1998? They were one of the bands and I swear they gave me chills for their entire set. They were amazing.

After Portishead she came up with "Out of season".
© 2002

Her voice, Beth's is very enchanting. Nice song.

Well a friend lent me this LP Friday, and has been bugging ever since to listen to it. I don't know, I've always heard great things about Roxy Music. Maybe I need to play it 10 more times, but it certainly was not my thing, after two complete listens.

Roxy.jpg

So I went ahead and moved onto this, and NOW this is music to my ears!

beastie.jpg

MGMT - Oracular Spectacular

MGMT.jpg

These guys rock and have for the last 2-3 years! Ck e'm out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back