What are you listening to now? (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom Waits: 'Big Joe And Phantom 309'

from
:

B000002GYG.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Nighthawks at the Diner (=live)

Beastie Boys vs. Cypress Hill - So Whatcha Want (remix)

Carl Douglas - Kung Fu Fighting

Rage Against The Machine - Killing In The Name Of

Radiohead - Paranoid Android

I'm listening right now to...

Frank Zappa. Some kind soul lent me FZ's complete discography (around 83 albums). I'm now into 'Buffalo', a 1980 live recording.

Crumb's anthology of old stuff.

I've got that one too. It's a great sampler CD if you're into old stuff. I like many of the tracks myself. The drawings in the book (it's a book with a CD) of all the old artists are also great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alvarado street & Pioneer chicken:

Listening to Warren Zevon on my iPod (Creative Zen that is, yes, he made it) while mowing the lawn, I noticed the following lines from "Carmelita":

Well, I pawned my Smith Corona
And I went to meet my man
He hangs out down on Alvarado Street
By the Pioneer chicken stand
And it hit me - these lines sound pretty bukowskiish, apart from the heroin bit, but hey: everyman to his own poison. Buk mentions Alvarado street somewhere, doesn't he? And I'm sure he tasted Pioneer chicken there as well.

Zevon is an artist I'd expect would appreciate Buk. Gonna keep my ears peeled for other references. Are there any other links between Zev & Buk?

I think Alvarado Street is where Bukowski met Jane. It certainly is in the Factotum version of that event.

Yeah, his Sou(r)ness writes the following: "They lived together in a succession of apartment houses around Alvarado street. The first place, 521 South Union Drive..."

So Alvarado street would pretty much be the area of his Barfly years. Wonder what its like now. Anybody?

Also found this with the site serach:

"I did about three years there, left, came back, did another three years. Then I came back to L.A. and worked Alvarado Street, the bars up and down there. Met the ladies--if you want to call them that."

Oh and here's an interesting link between Buk & Zevon's "Carmelita" I found on a Leonard Cohen site:
Tom..do you have the words to Crucifix in a Death Hand by Bukowski? I have a spoken word rendition of it by Tom Russell but could not find the printed text anywhere.

Actually, Kush, I do. It's in my edition of "Burning In Water Drowning In Flame" (Selected Poems 1955-1973)...
Your rendition, I believe, must be "Crucifix In A Death Hand / Carmelita", or is there another one besides the combination with the Warren Zevon piece

Hmmmm, just about time to log off the internet for a while...:eek:

i seem to recall, he Never gave Any other place, where they'd met.
i assume it really WAS alvarado!

Sounes says Buk And Jane met at The Glenview Bar. He does'nt say where the bar was located, but it could very well be on Alvarado Street...

excellent.
thank you.

Thanks d gray for putting me on to this. I had heard about it awhile back and hadn't thouroughly checked it out.

This is a goldmine of concerts in the 60's and 70's, and just not rock but some jazz and blues as well. I'll be spending a lot of time here.

yeah, i know - there are times, when i'm toooo much mainstream ...

anyway.
the Video is Awesome, i think.
(plus i do like this sentimental fuck. my constellation's cancer, maybe that's why.)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YOows6z3ST0

"I may have made it rain
Please forgive me
My weakness caused you pain
And this song's my sorry! ..."

roni, I love ya like a brother, but if you ever inflict Britney Spears on me again without fair warning, I will hunt you down and force you to eat bowl after bowl of Cap'n Crunch cereal while listening to until your ears bleed.

Britney Spears? - What's next? Spice Girls? :D

roni, sorry to be so harsh before. Here is your for Britney. The next time will be much, much worse.

nothing.

i accidentally deleted about 6000 music files from my hard drive.

i watched them go up like that fire willy accidentally lit in the barn on that one episode of Little House on the Prairie.

sorry guys.
sometimes i get a little out of hand.
:-))

chronic:
both your punishments worked. i now have ague.

Bukfan:
don't worry. i don't know any song of the spice girls i would consider to listen to at all. (while i still like 2 or 3 things by Brit)

the problem with me is, sometimes my musical tastes are way too conventional to look hip.

My boss just walked by as I was playing that and said "I have that album."

Wow! how about this:

Just call him "the Dude"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back