What are you listening to? The world needs to know. (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dead, Radio City Music Hall, 1980. Birdsong:

Man, Phil Lesh is an unconventional bass player. I know that the Dead is not everyone's cup of tea, but Lesh is one of the reasons why I've played bass for over 30 years. Just try to listen to his part on its own. Much of it (particularly during the guitar solo) seems almost absurd in terms of note choices. But throw it into the mix and it works immaculately. And yes, he uses a pick. He gets a friggin' pass along with McCartney and Squire.

OK, much of it seems absurd to many of you. At least they didn't spend 25 minutes tuning while mjp skulked around the cat walks. ;)

Okay Purple, let me get this straight; you HATE AC/DC, you LOVE King Crimson and Franka Zappa, and, The Dead was a major influence on you ... sorry bro--you're outta the band. Take your hippy-ass progressive rock and hit the road--nothing personal!:cool:

At least they didn't spend 25 minutes tuning while mjp skulked around the cat walks. ;)
Not in the part of the video you see there, no. ;)

Okay Purple ... sorry bro--you're outta the band.
Not so fast - he owns the PA! We have to keep him in. Kinda like early Van Halen and David Lee Roth.

Once we make enough money to buy our own PA I'll call Sammy Hagar, he can play bass. We can teach him where to put his fingers, anyway (no, not in Amby!).

album-David-Bowie-Hunky-Dory.jpg

Wonderful album.
Favorite track: Queen Bitch, tied with Song For Bob Dylan (just because Dylan makes me all fangirl)

Except... he looks a bit like a vampire (Lestat, specifically, Tom Cruise Lestat) on the album cover. I mean seriously, am I the only person that notices that?!

Okay Purple, let me get this straight; you HATE AC/DC, you LOVE King Crimson and Franka Zappa, and, The Dead was a major influence on you ... sorry bro--you're outta the band. Take your hippy-ass progressive rock and hit the road--nothing personal!:cool:

I don't really love Zappa, although that version of Montana is a pretty cool groove.

And you can't fire me; I've already quit!

I'm making Mr. G a mix... so now I'm listening to various versions of "Wild Horses". I think I'm going with the Elvis Costello/Lucinda Williams version... because Mr. G loves Elvis Costello. And I love Mr. G, and I am a bitch most of the time. So, let's give the man a little Costello.

I'm watching the Rolling Stones concert, "Shine A Light", on DVD. I thought I would give it a chance since it was on sale. It's actually pretty good, and it's nice to watch a Stones concert not talking place in some huge stadium but instead in a small theater. I admire Mick Jagger's energy on stage. Incredible, he can keep it up at his age. The movie is directed by Scorsese, and there's some bonus stuff including a featurette about the making of the movie...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm listening to Big Black and wonder if we can still borrow the P A from you , Purple Stickpin ?

We really need it , so please don't say no again . Please , please, please .

otherwise you'd force us to steal it from you.

Sorry; I sold it for crack.

Anyway: Only a Northern Song.
This track was recorded in February 1967, but was left off Sgt. Pepper. It eventually surfaced in January 1969 on Yellow Submarine. Notice how similar the horns and percussive sounds here resemble those on the tag of Good Morning, Good Morning (horses stampeding and fox hunt horn calls). GM, GM was originally recorded within five days of Only a Northern Song. I would guess that the same musicians did both.

Okay. Maybe it's because I love Black Sabbath.
Perhaps, it's because I love Lolitas. :eek:
Actually, it's probably because I just love raw talent.
Check this chick out:

She looks like the Twilight girl.
If you like lolitas, here's a french one (that song dates back to the early 2000s, I don't know what Alizée is becoming now) :

Music made for dancing purposes should be put into a waste bin. Y'all dancers sort it out. Try not to step on each other amidst the other garbage.

Real music is made to be listened to.

Yeah, dance music is pretty gay but you can't totally rule out a little moving and groovin; otherwise you just sit around looking like Stephen Hawking listening to Steely Dan.

Music made for dancing purposes should be put into a waste bin. Real music is made to be listened to.
Ha ha - dude! Are you just stirring the pot? Just because you can't dance to King Crimson and ELP doesn't mean a boatload of real, legitimate MUSIC hasn't been written with the idea of people dancing to it an integral part of its creation.

You don't think the Beatles wanted to make people dance? If their audiences hadn't danced the moptops would have been unemployed, their early records wouldn't have sold and they would have become no more than a dusty historical footnote. Take away that early wigged out Watusi dancing success and there's no white album or Sgt. Pepper. You're also throwing big band music into the waste bin, along with every other kind of music that swings. And everyone knows that swing is where it's at, man!

Modern "dance music" doesn't suck because it's dance music, it sucks because it's lifeless and cynical.

Mozart wrote dance music. So did John Lennon, the Bob's; Marley and Dylan - they all wanted people to dance, at least sometimes.

them belly full, but we hungry
a hungry mob is an angry mob
rain a fall, but the dirt it tough
pot a cook, but the food no 'nough

forget your troubles and dance
forget your sorrows and dance
forget your sickness and dance
forget your weakness and dance

Just happen to be listening to Madness:

lets_dance.gif

596012.jpg

I remember Bukowski somewhere saying he liked Finnegans Wake by James Joyce. Don't know if he was being ironic though. I've never been able to read it but I recently came over this audiobook that works wonders for me - in small portions. Joyce's words highten the melody of the spoken word, their meaning is more associative, if you know what I mean. I think the actors do a real fine job of bringing this text to life, and was surprised to find myself laughing quite often at the wordplay going on here. Fun stuff!

Have a listen to the sample here.

I couldn't "read" a book in this way, I wouldn't have the feeling to read it...

Mikeypants, what's wrong with you, you find everything "super gay".

Great duo, I'm glad to see you listen to Noir Désir, Black Swan.

It was my favourite french band before their career was interrupted by Bertrand Cantat's imprisonment. I was saddened by such a stupid ending. Then, I discovered Eiffel and became happy again !
(hope that Ponder and you still listen to the Eiffel's album from time to time)

Late Alain Bashung... I haven't really paid attention to him, though a friend has strongly encouraged me to do so.

Maybe you don't know that but Noir Désir revealed two new songs last december (to which the two lead members from Eiffel took part) :

Le temps des cerises :
(actually a cover from a song written in the 19th century, which was emblematic of La Commune de Paris (name of a popular insurrectionary movement that occurred in 1871) )

Gagnants/Perdants :

More than so-so...I've known them more inspired...
What was the most strange is that after these two songs, they didn't give any news about a possible new album.

The best for the end :
Eiffel's new album, A tout moment la rue, is to release in october. The first eponym single is being broadcasted in radios for several months. It is available there (click on the hand) : http://eiffelnews.com/home/index.html

And whose voice can one hear in the chorus ? Bertrand Cantat's one ! Yeah !

Penthouse, not an audio book by the glossy magazine,( what would they record anyway? ) but the noise blues monster from London (defunct, what a crap) who had to change their name on the US market because the makers of the world's greatest men magazine threatened with their lawyers. 50 tons of black terror wasn't a bad choice :rolleyes:.

Late Alain Bashung... I haven't really paid attention to Bashung, though a friend has strongly encouraged me to do so.

btw, Bashung died a couple of years ago.
But, yeah, if you have any interest in Gainsbourg...

And Mikeypants , it would not hurt to expand, let's stay just a stretch, a wild thought ;)

Yup, heard that about 3X over the weeked hoochmonkey! I get all the Arctic Monkey releases on vinyl, one of my favorite bands for sure!

Peter Fox's album 'Stadtaffe' (means Town Monkey), just great rhymes, grooves - simply love the vibe. For those of you interested, here's a playlist:

The clip is funny, but the song in itself... shh !

btw, Bashung died a couple of years ago.
But, yeah, if you have any interest in Gainsbourg...
Bashung died in march !
No interest in Gainsbourg, that's the problem.

Taxi Girl, Paris

I love that clip very very very much !

Fuck the 21st century, let's go back to the 80s !

(Mikeypants : if ever you dare calling this video "super gay", I'll scratch your eyes out !

The video is superlesbian, superbi and superhetero. Now that this is clear, you can take a look at the video from the fine German band Beatsteaks, maybe you like them better.

As you seem to have a taste for German actors, you might recognize somebody:

I love the fact that Carly Simon mentions my Saratoga in You're So Vain...

we went up to Saratoga and your horse naturally won...

Small things amuse me.

Yeah , Hello Joe ! And Jürgen Vogel are one of the best german actors ever because he got this teeth and the gaps in it . Wonderfull !

Yeah , Hello Joe ! And Jürgen Vogel are one of the best german actors ever because he got this teeth and the gaps in it . Wonderfull !

No, I didn't recognize this actor, I don't think to have seen him yet.
Thank you for your film suggestion, Cowboy, but I don't watch so many current german movies than that, I prefer by far the 70s-80s' ones, especially Fassbinder's, Herzog's and Wender's. I try to live with my time but I'm irrepressibly attracted by the past, in matter of cinema, music and literature.
However, there is actually one present turkish-german actor I'm very fond and whom I find very bukowskian : Birol Ünel, mostly known for his roles in Fatih Akin's movies.

Und ich liebe auch Verliebt in Berlin. No no, I'm not ashamed.

Hmm - a very faithful reproduction. But, did they know what they were signing about?

Try this for authenticity:

Gotta love the comments on youtube. Spanky little dirt-bags who might run this country some day. Dropping the language that their mother would slap their mouths for, but it's the internet, so who cares if I'm a little stupid punk.

They're NOT blaming Nixon, they are simply bemoaning the entrance of Nixon onto a scene that doesn't really need his type at the time...in their eyes.

But I digress.

I didn't know there was a Japanese version of CSN&Y. What do they call themselves? Closby, Steers, Nash & Lung?

I'm always amazed when I hear that song on a classic rock radio station. It's so irrelevant to any time period other than 1970. While I admit it's a pretty catchy tune, it's pretty specific to the situation it's speaking about. Can't imagine it sells a lot of soap powder. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back