What are you listening to? The world needs to know. (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not relevant to just 1970, it is entirely relevant to all periods of humanity. It speaks to the government being a tyrant, and it speaks directly to why we have a Constitution. Allegory, anyone?

Now I know why you like AC/DC. You don't seem to care about civil rights (and I don't mean race here), you just wanna rock.

Well, rock on. Me, I want my Constitution to back my ass up.

But I really have treaded upon forbidden grounds. Don't take me too seriously.

You obviously haven't heard, For those about to Rock, It's got a cannon and everything-right on the cover.

Fuck tyranical, allegoryal, civil rights-not giving-government dudes. We'll rock their ass to death.

And then after the great war, you can sit at home with your King Crimson going: noodle, noodle, noodle ...

I'm fighting this war for YOU, man!

However, there is actually one present turkish-german actor I'm very fond and whom I find very bukowskian : Birol Ünel, mostly known for his roles in Fatih Akin's movies.
Birol Ünel and Sibel K. in "Gegen die Wand" . A famous movie !

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm fighting this war for YOU, man!
Ironic, Bill ville, since those stoned hippies painfully attempting to harmonize about current events could have said that very thing to the likes of AC/DC and every other little rawk band that came later.

Without any knowledge of the history it is built on, your love of groovy suburban rock music is like a rootless tree. Just more dry wood for the fire. If you learn some pop music history you'll be able to back up your arguments, and quickly recognize which ones are stupid and indefensible.

The notion that any music or musician is fighting any kind of war in the past 30 years is cute though. One day you might realize that the only war they are fighting is amongst themselves, for the dollars or euros or shekels in your pocket.

pe-arctic-monkeys-humbug.jpg

1st off, they fucking rock!
2nd I love that picture!
35i9hdj.gif

Ive been on this for a few days.......The fall brings a feeling of Nostaliga along with it that has me feeling like an overly emotional teen again...and I love it!

Doolittle is my Pixels favourite album ! But last year, I was really ashamed : at a party, we played a game consisting in guessing songs and I didn't recognize Hey, I was not even able to say that was Frank Black's voice !

The song from Frank Black which I love above all : Black is Back, in the album Frank Black & The Catheters :

You cant go wrong with them^^^! Hands down, the best live rock show I'v ever seen.

I think I should have been listening to my new Beatles in mono box set, but last night I was cranking this, and bothering my neighbour, who doesn't like me anyway!

led_zep_3.jpg

Led Zep III contains my fav one : Theme song from Friends !

Maus, like Art Spiegelman's comics !

You already know who's my one and only Austrian (Arnold!) but I copy the link and will try them !

Puke's new album is listenable on Dozer since yesterday. It's high time for me to test it !

Led Zep's Friends
Australian (Nick Cave)
Muse
Deezer

The boy wonder

Enough Mozart to sink an oceanliner: sonatas, concertos, symphonies, operas... It's the only music I can stand lately.

Jenn, in addition to the great Coltrane here, I've always loved the Eric Dolphy solo on Spiritual. He plays the bass clarinet like he was preaching a sermon - beautiful! I've never gotten tired of this amazing performance....Speaking of Dolphy, I highly recommend Last Date in which he plays alto, flute and bass clarinet to absolute perfection - one of his last performances, with an excellent European rhythm section, before he died way too young at 36. (I should listen to that one again soon. I'm a former jazz musician and I deeply admired Eric's playing.) As for Coltrane, he took the tenor to another dimension, and players are still trying to catch up with him after more than 40 years.

Lots of The Beatles. Isn't everybody?

Funny Coltrane and Dolphy would come up. I used the Village Vanguard shows in response to something chronic posted in the Beatles Box thread.

Poptop; I am also an ex-jazz musician. Upright bass in my case (although I would like to think that as an old man, I would still be one someday). Back in the mid-90s, I worked my ass off to be able to play in the Boston jazz scene, if only mostly functions, as opposed to established jazz clubs. Made a fair bit of money (considering I was working a 40-hour week doing science also), but really burnt out on it. The music business is perhaps one of the ugliest animals around. Talk about dealing with the dregs of society. And I don't mean the musicians; I mean the audiences. I was fortunate enough to deal with booking people who were generally very fair and human. The folks in the crowd generally had no idea what that meant.

But I love me some Coltrane with Dolphy. Uh huh.

Lots of The Beatles. Isn't everybody?

I am! I started with Rubber Soul yesterday, and today it's Revolver. I plan to go through all their albums...once again. It was all the talk about the new remastered albums that inspired me...:)

segwayabbeyroad.jpg

Really? I wish they would sell the mono versions separately so you could buy a few at a time...:(

Bukfan: That may happen, since they also said that only 10,000 sets would be made, and then they have backed off from that and have announced more. But, I wouldn't hold my breath. Sorry to say.

PS: I hope you're right! They could certainly make some extra money that way.

I would bet that the mono remasters will never see individual release, mainly because putting them out there would just create consumer confusion. If there are two or three versions of Sgt. Pepper sitting on the shelf, most people are going to grab the cheapest one anyway. Only one freak out of 1000 will be flipping through the rack looking for the MONO label across the top.

Also, maybe more importantly, based on the prices of the boxes the mono discs would retail for about $19.99 as opposed to the $12.99 they ask for the stereo versions. If I'm a retailer I'm not going to devote shelf space to something that is likely going to sit there and collect dust.

Conor Oberst & The Mystic Valley Band "Self Titled"
Brilliant, maybe my fave record of the last 5 years!

oberst.jpg

I can't resist The Resistance!

This one has my preference, with a famous aria in the middle of it :
Muse - (+ Mon Ceur S'ouvre A Ta Voix) (Album Version)

Bellamy singing in French... my dream comes true. :p

Nervas, I think that I have already read your signature somewhere... probably in Dee Dee's autobiography. I have pleasant memories of it, I don't know if he was a fan of Bukowski (don't remember having seen Hank quoted) but I found some similarities with this latter in Dee Dee's style.

After a couple of listens I think The Resistance will be a grower for me. It seems you either like Muse or you don't.

The first official video clip is out now from this album! It's for :

The teddy bears' uprising, hahaha !

That song is exactly representative of something I like less and less in Muse : the lyrics. Since Black Holes and Revelations, most of them are dealing with the same theme : "They're oppressing us, They're debasing us, They're slowly killing us. Stop now ! Let's Unite, let's Resist, let's Fight ! "
It could be interesting if they were deeper than that. I sometimes have the feeling to hear the words of a revolted teenager who's just read 1984.

I would bet that the mono remasters will never see individual release,...

Good points, mjp! I'm afraid you're right - unfortunately.

I'm listening to the Beatles remasters of A Hard Days Night, Beatles For Sale and Sgt. Pepper.

Listening to The Dandy Warhols Come Down,
love their energy, always makes me feel like dancing, loud of course.

Joy Division's Dead Souls covered by NIN :
[This video is unavailable.]

This may be my favorite live performance of anything:

No viddy, but this is all about the music. You can find other performances with video content if you search "Visions of Johanna." For example, this sample from Scorse's film, No Direction Home:

In this last one, you can see how much he values the enuncitation of the words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back