What are you listening to? The world needs to know. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the way to work I heard - for the first time - the full 18 minute version of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, which is a great song IF YOU LIKE SONGS THAT SEEM AS IF THEY WILL NEVER END.

Bonus points if you recognize God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen in the organ solo and laugh out loud.

Luckily they played Hendrix immediately afterward to cleanse the auditory palate.

Wait a minute!..What?... The first time? Jesus, I find that hard to believe. Where the hell have you been hiding? Oh yeah, I know. But still. The first time?

I find it hard to believe too, being really old and all.

But in 67 or 68, whenever that song came out, I was limited top 40 radio and whatever singles I could buy. I was in second or third grade, so I wasn't really out there buying Iron Butterfly albums. But the single version was all over the radio of course.

By the time FM radio took over and the hippies started playing album tracks, I wasn't interested in what they were peddling.

Oh... ya. Well consider yourself lucky. I think that damn drum solo must be tattooed on my carrainium.

There is something great about that song though, and that is every single sound on it seemed to be processed through some sort of 1968 effect. It sounded like the drums were even run through a phase shifter or a flanger, at least on that awesome solo. ;) And you can't beat 1968 guitar fuzz (or fuzz and wah on the guitar solo!).

But they made sure not to leave a natural sound in that fucker anywhere, and I can appreciate that in an absurdist kind of way. Maybe they were trying to create that newfangled electronic music.

I would imagine at least one other member(Rob) rocks this a few times every now and then, anyway Amanda Palmer's fabulous Evelyn Evelyn... What's not to like about conjoined twins singing folk, glam, and some cabaret!

evelynevelyn.jpg

On the way to work I heard - for the first time - the full 18 minute version of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, which is a great song IF YOU LIKE SONGS THAT SEEM AS IF THEY WILL NEVER END.

Bonus points if you recognize God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen in the organ solo and laugh out loud.

Luckily they played Hendrix immediately afterward to cleanse the auditory palate.

I don't blame you for not believing me but I listened to that tune the first time I did acid! I don't believe it was the first time I heard the full version though. I recently heard the full version on a college radio station and it was the first time hearing it again since 1975?

It doesn't really hold up, does it. It just sounds quaint and ancient now. Quancient, as the kids would say.

I always thought it was impossible to listen to the full 18 minute version of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida without being on acid.

I thought, that's what the song was made for.

I mean, come on, what is it: 4 minutes song and 14 minutes drum solo?

It's actually not a bad song in it's Uriah Heepish way but yeah the long version seems only to be enjoyed by people feeling the 18 minutes was only 4.

Y'all know the story that the guy in the band who wrote was all alone in the "Iron Butterfly Pad" with a six pack and wrote the tune as "In The Garden of Eden" and when the bandmates returned they heard his drunken slurring of that as "The Gadda-da-vida."

evil-719179.jpg

Evil Urges by My Morning Jacket has been spinning in my MP3 player for the last couple months, nearly non-stop. Love this album!

Everything by Public Image Limited.

GOD SAVE THE KING LYDON!!!

Before reaching nirvana, this evening, with an umpteenth Eiffel gig, yeah!

Always get this unfailing gaseous cramp anytime I go see a band play live when I'm amongst 10,000+ overpaying audience members who are mostly there for show rather than the show. The best venues I've experienced are similar to this clip (fuck the corporate crowd, this is the crowd to play to and be a part of):

Evil Urges by My Morning Jacket has been spinning in my MP3 player for the last couple months, nearly non-stop. Love this album!
ahhhh, nice pick LTS. If you haven't checked out Jim's stuff with Monsters of Folk, ya should!

at this very moment

20. Mozart - String quartet no 15 kv 421 D Minor - Allegro (7:59) and while I am here I always like to comment on something I strongly disagree with :)

"La vraie vie, la vie enfin découverte et éclaircie, la seule vie par conséquent vécue, c'est la littérature."
Marcel Proust

BULL Fucking Shit Mr Proust

Literature like Life is nothing but a huge pile of SHIT with a few precious pearls in them if you can stand the digging and the stench
a bit like this site really or any other site really especially a chatting one

Last edited by a moderator:
Fucked up 1976 trash punk that John Peel and the rest of the rock media in the world turned their noses up at (I can end a sentence like that, right?):

dd-runaways14_PH_0501298950.jpgTherunaways%5B1%5D.jpg

Saw the movie last night, it was just a'ight, as your mother says, but it's good to remind the children that things were different in the stone age. Like, you know, history or something.

Does it hold up? I don't know, I can't listen to it without remembering being 16, so whether it's any good I can't say. I suspect that it is not very good at all. Parts of every one of their records are truly cringeworthy. But there are also a little handful of enjoyable ditties.

I saw the Runaways open for the Ramones back in medieval times, and saw no irony in the pairing. Maybe today with your pomo hindsight you do.

4310636885_ffdb8e76da.jpg

Fuck Bulgaria.

As hot as the Runaways may have been, I'm listening to the Beatles.

Stavrogin - Thanks for the Fugazi clip. That is indeed the type of room you need for great rock. I loved how the cameraman thought it was so IMPORTANT and ARTISTIC to zoom in on the shadow on the wall ! And the kid in the foreground is wearing a Gorilla Biscuits T-shirt. Perfect.

You're welcome, number6horse. One of the more interesting people I've ever known was a big fan of Gorilla Biscuits. The only thing I ever saw him eat was this Indian curry concoction that smelled like old shoes.

I was selecting some PJ Harvey vids in order to introduce a friend to her. And I found this:

Have a look at her dress.

I highly suspect Slimedog from being behind this fashion aberration.

est.jpg

When track 5, Maybe by the Chantels came on, I knew it was worth driving into a pretty scary neighborhood in Santa Ana to pick up 7 volumes of East Side Story records! (Thanks Craigslist!)

My mother is also very proud that I'm paying tribute to her music, she says!

Here is one of the best songs ever recorded in my opinion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back