What are you listening to? The world really needs to know. #5 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 'Mats "Left of the Dial" fr Toronto's Riot Fest 8/25/13

[This video is unavailable.]

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band "I'm Gonna Boogiarize You". Brilliant.

When they became a global super power it was a turn off for everyone I suppose, but still underneath, is a beautiful 4 piece band and Larry Mullen jr is still my man... after all these years:

When they became a global super power it was a turn off for everyone I suppose, but still underneath, is a beautiful 4 piece band and Larry Mullen jr is still my man... after all these years...
Did you happen to see the movie LM Jr was in w/ Donald Southerland, "Man on the Train"? It is a re-make. Still though, pretty good.

No, I haven't PhillyDave, but I have just had a quick look (internetally -:D) and think I will watch it - it's never been a chore to look at LM jr, - it's the strong silent type - they get you every time - don't they?

I wish Bono was the strong, silent type. ;)
I used to love U2, I must admit. I think I got bored with them after Zooropa though. Which is a bloody long time ago now, come to think of it. The early stuff in particular still floats my boat. Funnily enough I had the tune 'Dirty Day' in my head on the way into work this morning, even though I don't recall having heard it in ages.

I wish Bono was the strong, silent type. ;)
I know, but where would the world be without mouthy, opinionated lead singers? the thing is - I think he is very well meaning, but I never ever was into him - too much posturing, on and off stage.
I stopped at Achtung Baby, which I still listen too.

The one thing I really can't get away with is that dopey mid-Atlantic accent of his. And yeah, I still like Achtung Baby too. That was something a bit different and a real departure from their earlier stuff. Zooropa sounded a bit like the outtakes that never made AB, which put me off them a bit (although I still liked some of that album), then I started listening to other stuff and everything after that that they did seemed a bit AOR / dad rock. I remember going to see them at Roundhay Park, Leeds around that time 92-ish and they were still good live I thought.

Agreed. Have only see them once, '87 In Edinburgh - brilliant, but it all just got too big for my taste. Maybe this is the problem everyone has and I bet the other guys in the band sometimes wish they could shut him up.
bono.jpg

Off to do the Ironing. . . love this album.

Last edited by a moderator:
BD: I pretty much feel the same way about U2. Grew up on them, then lost interest. I think i mentioned this before but are you aware that "Dirty Day", according to Bono, is a lyrical tribute to Buk? Just saying. It's hardly worth mentioning now that i think about it 'cause Bono ain't quite skilled in the clean, hard line.

And now for something completely different: Mr. Tom Waits.

22 year old glenn gould's first studio album. whether you dig it or not, you'll never hear anyone play
the piano like him.
I missed this. I've got that album. The lad could play a bit, as they say. I bought it after reading this:
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2012/sep/20/glenn-gould-wilfully-idiotic-genius

BD: I pretty much feel the same way about U2. Grew up on them, then lost interest. I think i mentioned this before but are you aware that "Dirty Day", according to Bono, is a lyrical tribute to Buk? Just saying. It's hardly worth mentioning now that i think about it 'cause Bono ain't quite skilled in the clean, hard line.
Actually I think that's been mentioned on here before about 'Dirty Day' but it had completely slipped my mind. Maybe that's why I was thinking about it, who knows?

This is just pure speculation on my part, but I wonder if it was the Zoo TV Tour that was the concert CB went to see, it's around the right time He was 72, so that would make it 1992 ish, not sure.

Rock music does not do it for me. I went to a rock concert, mainly for the sake of my wife, Linda. Sure, I’m a good guy, huh? Huh? Anyhow, the tickets were free, courtesy of the rock musician who reads my books.

Bukowski, Charles (2009-03-17). The Captain is Out to Lunch (Kindle Locations 1299-1300). HarperCollins. Kindle Edition.

If not that, does anyone know which one it was?

I'm pretty sure Linda & Buk went to a U2 show and Bono name checked Buk. Apparently it was strange for Buk, just strange.

This is just pure speculation on my part, but I wonder if it was the Zoo TV Tour that was the concert CB went to see, it's around the right time He was 72, so that would make it 1992 ish, not sure.

Rock music does not do it for me. I went to a rock concert, mainly for the sake of my wife, Linda. Sure, I’m a good guy, huh? Huh? Anyhow, the tickets were free, courtesy of the rock musician who reads my books.

Bukowski, Charles (2009-03-17). The Captain is Out to Lunch (Kindle Locations 1299-1300). HarperCollins. Kindle Edition.

If not that, does anyone know which one it was?
I'm pretty sure Linda & Buk went to a U2 show and Bono name checked Buk. Apparently it was strange for Buk, just strange.
It gets a mention in the documentary film 'Born Into This'. Bono says something along the lines of "I think we really got to the old guy" in reference to his name-checking Bukowski at the concert he attended. The connection between U2 and Bukowski (apart from Bono being a fan) was, if I remember rightly, Sean Penn being a mutual friend.

Bruno, I think that might have been wishful thinking on Bono's part re "getting to him" because further on in that piece, CB says:

[...There was a vibrancy there but it was short-lived. It was fairly simplistic. I suppose the lyrics were all right if you could understand them. They were probably speaking of Causes, Decencies, Love found and lost, etc. People need that—anti-establishment, anti-parent, anti-something. But a successful millionaire group like that, no matter what they said, THEY WERE NOW ESTABLISHMENT]

W
hich is pretty on the nose really isn't it? and what got up everyone else's nose too.

Last edited:
I got the feeling whilst watching the film that it was wishful thinking. I also got the feeling Bono was included to increase publicity as he didn't really add a lot to it. It's well worth watching though, especially for fans of Bukowski. I thought it would probably be on youtube and it is:

Check out the top comments by the way if you go to youtube itself ("Goddamit, what's Bono doing in this film?" & "Fuck Bono.")

I got the feeling whilst watching the film that it was wishful thinking. I also got the feeling Bono was included to increase publicity as he didn't really add a lot to it.Check out the top comments by the way if you go to youtube itself ("Goddamit, what's Bono doing in this film?" & "Fuck Bono.")

Bruno, yes, I have watched about the first 20 mins (on youtube) a couple of months ago, will get back to watching the rest, but now I wish everyone would stop laying into Bono, he does mean well and he can't help being an annoying buggar.

Actually I'm pretty guilt of it myself ( being annoyed with him) but he seems to have took the hint and well, it's ancient history now.

Anyhoo since we're on an Irish theme, here is a Belfast band and a young Van Morrison ( or rent collector, by the looks of him):

PS- Sonny Clark w/ a "cool quintet"? Yeah, and awesome too. Love those old album covers btw. ;)

Last edited:
The Verve, Blue Note and Impulse ones are almost aiways cool as well. I play and own cd's, sure but the visual and tactile experience of albums and their covers is like noting else.

Went to the Shindig Festival in Baltimore this Sat the 14th. It was killer. The day included the Gaslight Anthem, Joan Jett &the Blackhearts, the Hold Steady, the Mighty Mighty Bosstones, and Dropkick Murphys and many others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back