What are you listening to? The world really needs to know. #5 (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reggae never had an intenationally acclaimed singeress...yet.
:abge:
Don't tell that to Judy Mowatt, Marcia Griffiths, Patra, Rita Marley, Lady Saw (triple platinum record - though it is dancehall, not roots), Etana...

There's a video for the song below by Queen Ifrica that has 1,778,438 views on YouTube (I can't post it here, it's tres cheesy and I think it ruins the song) - I'd call that acclaim. The restrained emotion in her voice and the flow - what boy! Yuh nuh ready fi dis!

If you're talking about "international acclaim" like Bob Marley had, few musicians of any kind have ever had that, so it's not really a fair standard to hold regular musicians to...

Cool title, but don't get the meaning. Something to do with herbal pipes perchance? :cool:

Reactions: mjp
I never heard anyone say "steamers," so I can't help you there. The song says "chalice" right after "steamers," so I'm not sure steamer means pipe, but the video would certainly suggest it does.

You can see guitarist Earl "Chinna" Smith in that video. His band wrote and recorded that song in 80, 81 - around there.

Ha!
[...] v=IMHPfeoRFGw [...]
since your video prominently showed the flag of the country of which one-sixth is my favorite spot in the world, (the little isle of Tobago, where they have 28°C All day&night and through All seasons), I'll now share with you pics of me in my DIY[!]-Trinidad/Tobago-T-shirt made for the soccer-world-cup in 2006 where they participated.

TNT-vs-UK_2006.jpg

when I walked through the streets with the shirt that day, a guy screamed from the far:
"TRINIDAD / TOBAGO !!!" - and I yelled back: "YES! You GOT It!" - then he screamed: "I was able to tell it by the color of your skin!"

But now for something nearly different:
Talking of Reggae - I know that mjp doesn't care for Serge GAINSBOURG at all (to say the least).

But I'd like to point to the fact today, that he (Gainsbourg) has realized the significance of Reggae back in the mid-70s, when - (in Europe that is) - barely anyone did. He even travelled to Jamaica and recorded an album with the musicians of Bob Marley. (It was the birth of "Freggae", which is Reggae with French lyrics - and thus the very first attempt to include this sort of music into European culture.)

Even more:
His first single from the album was a Reggae-version of the French National Anthem, the 'Marsaillaise'.
Most Nationalists in France took offence (of course).

There even have been public threats for bombs/explosives at some of his concerts then!
At these occations, he didn't let his Jamaican musicians go on stage. But he himself performed. And then he announced to the audience, that it was HIM to give back the revolutionary meaning to this anthem, and sung it a-capella:

Now, This guy got some guts.

Last edited:
Gainsbourg [...] realized the significance of Reggae back in the mid-70s, when - (in Europe that is) - barely anyone did.
Musicians we pretty quick to warm up to reggae music in the late 60s/early 70s, so that doesn't surprise me. It was regular people who shrugged their shoulders and said, "I don't get it."

In 1972 John Lennon was telling the crowd at Madison Square Garden, "This is reggae, you'll be hearing it everywhere soon." Didn't quite work out like that, but that's how enthusiastic a lot of musicians were. I mean, a new rhythm - a new style of music doesn't come along every day, so it makes sense that musicians would gravitate toward it and be interested in it.

Meanwhile...

Ites green and gold it's the rainbow, it's a curious thing...

[This video is unavailable.]

There's this by Tina S. Pretty impressive for a 14 girl.

Then she goes and does this!

Feeling wistful... this time 2 Saturdays ago was at the Barrowlands in Glasgow ( an old ballroom venue and a bit of a dive, but a glorious dive, with a fantastic history) with friends, watching The Cult - their 30yr anniversary give or take. A brilliant show - original bassist Jamie Stewart came on as a surprise very early too, I last seen them, same venue 1985! It was mostly their 3rd album Electric that they performed. So...

Must have bee a different listing for the US Love album Philly Dave, was bit sad though as had to leave at last songs, they wouldn't have got out alive if they hadn't performed Rain and She Sells Sanctuary as an encore - had to run for my train! my friends were staying over at a hotel. Me, I grabbed a tray of chips and curry sauce from a chip shop and ran through Glasgow town centre to catch the last train home.

Remembrance Day today, with love and sadness for all the people who have lost their lives, military and civilians and to Wilfred Owen and many others for helping to expose the facade:

Last edited:
also love this, but why the hell Roachford's Cuddly Toy come's into my head the last 40 secs or so, I have no clue, it's a nightmare!
Plus they're fantastic, but sadly, really don't look much like bad company anymore... still.

To the beautiful Miss Debbie Harry and the first album I ever bought (Woolworths). For never taking the talent she had seriously and to Madonna who could never match her.

My friend who works at an independent guitar/instrument shop makes microphones out of old telephones, the ones that are heavy and have the cioled wire. A buncha famous people have them including the lovely Miss Harry. My friend was going to put a white earpiece and mouthpiece on a black handle (a la Parallel Lines) but she just wanted the mic black. Go figure.

In keeping w/ the striped theme:

Good songs (and grooves) never die:
3. [This video is unavailable.]

You can't say the Jamaicans aren't thrifty with their songs.

Seems like every Studio One record was remade when rock steady and then reggae came on the scene. The Wailers re-recorded a ton of tracks (some multiple times), and Marley was remaking his Studio One-era tunes on his albums up through 1978 and probably in the studio right up until he died.

And Ken Boothe - what can you say? It's hard to keep a train song down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back