What are you listening to? The world really needs to know. #5 (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn't exactly the purpose of this thread but I'm asking anyway. My niece has just discovered Hendrix and I would like to give her a DVD. Does anyone know which one is the best?

Someone said something about "hope" today, and I thought about Curtis Mayfield's "Freddie's Dead" from Superfly:

But his hope was a rope and he shoulda known!

The song was all over the radio when I was 12 years old (RIP top 40 radio). Here's a live version, heavy on the wah pedal if you please!

Italicize that shit!

It's a band playing live, so I don't get hung up on the location of said live performance, baby!

I just noticed that they show the guitar player's pedal (at 4:20, yo!) and it's a Vox King Wah in a field of bright green shag carpet. All of you wah aficionados will recognize that as the first U.S. made wah (they were made in Italy before that). I have a Crybaby from the same Thomas Organ, Los Angeles-made era and it's sweeter than Kansas honey.

All of you shag carpet aficionados will recognize the 1970s.

A nice acoustic version of the same song if you skip up to 7:30. But then why would you want to skip? What are you, some kind of monster?

There's some kind of genetic voodoo magic that happens when siblings sing harmonies...

It's a band playing live, so I don't get hung up on the location of said live performance, baby!

I just noticed that they show the guitar player's pedal (at 4:20, yo!) and it's a Vox King Wah in a field of bright green shag carpet. All of you wah aficionados will recognize that as the first U.S. made wah (they were made in Italy before that). I have a Crybaby from the same Thomas Organ, Los Angeles-made era and it's sweeter than Kansas honey.

All of you shag carpet aficionados will recognize the 1970s.
I play guitar (not to be confused with "I am a musician") and love the wah but am equally a fan of the shag rug. Dig and be dug.

One of the better albums of the last 13 years.

homepage_large.4169e6ea.jpg

Thomas Hansen was found dead on September 10, 2007, aged 31. The cause of death was determined to be an "unfortunate combination of prescribed drugs".

A nice acoustic version of the same song if you skip up to 7:30. But then why would you want to skip?...
I had to skip; that pain in the teeth thing early on, but the latter portions do have that certain meshed timbre along with a very good vocal intonation that cannot be replicated by unrelated mortals.

Overall, five stars for technique; 4 stars for content. Some clunkers in there in terms of material.

Last edited:
In Edinburgh last night to see The Damned (haven't seen them since I was 17yrs old). The Ruts, whom I have never seen live were the support band and got to say they were absolutely fantastic, some purely punk and a lot from their 1982 Rhythm Collision, best of all a lot from their new Rhythm Collision Vol 2 album - just 30 odd yrs later:).

Vol 1:

:

Saw them both in chesterfield. Check out my review on qromag.com

Just went in and read your review Darren.
Have to agree with your review, I was so nervous and excited about seeing the Damned again, but for me the Ruts DC were fantastic their new stuff sounded amazing, there was a massive crowd in, the young uns all down the front went crazy for them. Will need to get their new album, think google play have it. Been listening to it all day.
The Damned although great to see them, seemed stale by comparison, with nothing new, although the friends I was with have seen them many times and loved them.

Me too in re Bjork, kinda attractively nutty. I was wary of New Order, them being too much an electronic/dance band for my punk attitude & tastes at the time. And i (dumb teenager that i was) wanted them to be Joy Division. Of course, that wasn't going to happen. That being said, N.O. were very entertaining. I've grown to like them.

We saw that soul out on the cross roads
Waitin' there in the pouring rain
We called hey engine slow your rhythms
See he wants to ride the version train

[This video is unavailable.]

Time of year for a list, and here is my top 10 albums of 2013.

1. The Icarus line- Slave Vows
2. Hookworms-Pearl Mystic
3. Money-Shadow of Heaven
4. Drenge- Drenge
5. Primal Scream- More light
6. Exit Calm- The future isn’t what it used to be
7. The Fall- Re-Mit
8. My Bloody Valentine MBV
9. The House of Love- She paints words in red
10. Foals- Holy Fire

Darren.

Favourites: Arctic Monkeys; AM, The Foals; Holy Fire, The Black Crowes; Wiser For Time.
Favourite Choooooone of 2013; I Wanna Be Yours; Arctic Monkeys - totally hypnotic.

So when do the Christmas songs start then?? on a festive note:):

Ok, since Irvine Welsh and Trainspotting has been mentioned, hats off Danny Boyle for putting this great mid 90's dancetrack in the film:
from an electro-funk/pop group touring with the Eurythmics in the 80's to an iconic dance band:

like x 10 for the Wolf. Christ he kills every time. How about Tom Waits on Letterman in 2012

[This video is unavailable.]

Listening to a lot of John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers this week, this is my favourite guitar instrumental, ever: just transfixing When Clapton left the band to form Cream, what a piece of luck getting Peter Green as a replacement, from the 1967 album A Hard Road:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back