What are you listening to? The world really needs to know. #6 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stooges Raw Power, White Stripes self-titled first album, The Melvins Houdini...

Saw the Pixies live at the Fillmore in Detroit back in February...great show!

Just saw Matthew Ryan...
I really like these lyrics because they remind me of early Springsteen. And I hope this guy comes to Chicago soon...

When it comes to my favorite Americana-Alt-Country band, I couldn't decide on just one song: here's a 30-minute live set...

BqCPHwYCQAMKZRy.png

This right here is the best thing I've heard in a while, even though it gets a little repetitive at times. I've been a little disappointed by my regular outlaw bands as of late, but these guys delivered their special blend of punk country. Give it a try...

2014-06-17-21-32-04-404810454.jpeg

When you listen to how hard he pushed his voice it's amazing to remember that he did all the final vocals for that album in one day.

The Fall - White Lightening

The great thing about The Fall is that if you don't like one of their albums you know you're only about a week away from another one coming out.

The downside is that if you don't like The Fall you're only about a week away from another album coming out.

I've only seen them twice and the first time he walked off stage after ten minutes (not an unusual occurrence.) The other occasion was one of the best gigs I've been to - it's all or nothing from what I understand.

this shouldn't be in this thread, but while we're on the subject...

markesmith_renegade.jpg

this book is hilarious. Not sure how factual it is, but is well worth the read for a fan of The Fall.

And to keep this post on topic:

this book is hilarious. Not sure how factual it is, but is well worth the read for a fan of The Fall.
Never got into them, not quite sure why, but I think I'll have to read the book :)

I love the mandolin, don't know if it was due to this song, my mum loved it and played it to death, it was a record I remember from one particular childhood summer, reminds me of her and summer:

Couldn't for the life of me remember the name of the band yesterday, the song was stuck in my head, turned to my friends and asked *which scottish band sang "sing":) one turned and said with complete conviction "Fleetwood Mac" . . . Anyhoooo

Can I play this too, before everyone gets mandolined out? supposed to be mandolin player from Lindisfarne on this too.From the album Every picture Tells A Story, which I love, ditto Never A Dull Moment:

From the album Every picture Tells A Story, which I love, ditto Never A Dull Moment:
I used to live in an old house where the neighbour woke up every morning and slapped on...yes, you guessed it...wake up maggie. And he sang along to it. And had sex with his noisy girlfriend to it (I have no idea if her name was Maggie.)

Now, I've never been a fan of old ferret face, but a year of this torture led me to down right hatred of the man. Fortunately, the girlfriend's other boyfriend got released from prison and tried to break into the house (he ended up getting stuck in our bramble bush when trying to escape the police) and so they moved on. But my hatred of Rod has remained, like that stain on the carpet that never goes away.

Anyway, I'm listening to this. I saw him live recently and it was the most horrible train wreck I've seen for a long time. He was barely hanging on as the gig seemed to collapse in upon him.

I used to live in an old house where the neighbour woke up every morning and slapped on...yes, you guessed it...wake up maggie. And he sang along to it. And had sex with his noisy girlfriend to it (I have no idea if her name was Maggie.)
Now, I've never been a fan of old ferret face, but a year of this torture led me to down right hatred of the man.
I'd say your hatred of him was justified for that alone, but I love his early stuff. I have a friend whose "Special Song" was (don't know if her husband knows I know) We Built This City - Jefferson Starship - doesn't bear thinking about really.:)

Rod Stewart played the local football stadium up here last week - £60. A few of my friends went, but I agree with you - not good for many years now.

Far more painful, I had to turn down a trip with friends to see The Specials in Glasgow last month a bit pricey for me at £40, saving up for holidays. But will see them in November same venue, so with that in mind:

Los Angeles musician (via Guatemala) Gaby Moreno.

Song Of You
Loved that one, her voice is beautiful, reminded me a bit of Hope Sandoval and Alison Goldfrapp.I hate shoutey gale force female voices ( a few exceptions) Your girl's song pre dates this one, from Goldfrapp's album last year.They sound a bit similar (to me, probably not to anyone else) but again beautiful.

[This video is unavailable.]

If you listened to the radio in 1977 you may have heard the rock cover of Lead Belly's Black Betty by Ram Jam. It seemed inescapable in my neck of the woods. But did you know they looked like suburban Illinois 7-11 parking lot heshers? They did! Some of them, anyway. Some of them looked like they were in Queen. Odd band, odd song.

Odd guitar. Appears to be a 1972 Les Paul Custom body (those Gibson embossed pickup covers were only made in 1972), but the neck is from elsewhere. The inlays aren't right for a 72 Custom, and the headstock is from who knows what. Nice little Marshall 50 watt 2x12 combo though. I played out of one of those for years.

And that concludes today's Les Paul chat.

[This video is unavailable.]

ramjam.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back