What are you listening to? The world really needs to know. #6 (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard that song on the radio just yesterday.

Stupid question: aren't Les Pauls of set-neck construction? If so, you'd have to do a world of hurt to an instrument to have to replace the neck entirely. Oddly, the headstock looks quite a bit like the headstock on my D'Angelico archtop:

DSC01957.jpg

It's a set neck, yes. The headstocks on Les Pauls used to be pitched at more of an angle, so if they fell over they would usually break where the headstock meets the neck. I suppose if the neck broke far enough down it would be better to replace it than repair it.

The headstock does look quite similar to the D'Angelico, you might be on to something there.

But the finish on that one is not "stock" either, for a 70s Les Paul, so maybe the thing was run over by a tractor in that back yard there and they had to redo the whole guitar. Or maybe it was in the Montreux fire that Deep Purple sang about. No, wait, that was before 1972. Well, who knows. The guitar looks like it had been through a lot in its life though.

All of which leads us to this:

Listening to some Queens of the Stone Age. The great thing about them, unlike so many bands is that not only do they rock, they also roll.

Rob de Nijs??
Wanna tease me and do you understand Dutch when you drink beer?

Last edited:
:D

Nope. In fact I can only make out a few words. But a friend got this from somewhere about a zillion years ago and we often listened to this while drinking beer as teenagers, just for fun.

Remembered tonight, don't know why. Maybe because of the fucking WM. Germany is killing Brazil, btw.

A true pioneer and a purist. Used gut strings to the end (at least on the D and G). I saw him with Larance Marable on drums (who was equally brilliant) at the deCordova Sculpture Park and Museum back in '93 or '94.

Last edited:
Mouth & MacNeal. Damn; I haven't thought about them since well, 1972. What a stupidly ridiculous video. I watched it all the way through and thoroughly enjoyed it.

The bassline and bari sax in I Gotcha makes that one swing, baby. Tex' vocal is strong as well.

Reactions: mjp
Here in the U.S., we didn't get much of a whiff of Thin Lizzy until '76...
I saw Thin Lizzy open for...wait for it...it's a good one...Bachman Turner Overdrive! And I think that was 1975. Though it could have been 76.

They never really caught on here though, did they.

Do you mean Thin Lizzy or BTO never caught on? I think both did, at least for a couple of years; at least here in Boston. When disco was making us rockers turn off our radios, I listened to Thin Lizzy and BTO on my crappy stereo system consisting of a pizza tray with a toothpick in the center, a pencil with a sharp flint on the end, and two speakers each consisting of a 6" "woofer" and a 1" tweeter that had little high end. ~$50 at Woolworth's, or somesuch.

BTO might have been the laziest band I ever saw - well, them and Foghat. I didn't particularly care for either one of them, but in those days we'd see any band that came to town. I don't even remember BTO they were so lacking in anything even remotely memorable, and Foghat - they came on stage in god damn sweat pants. Like a bunch of dudes going to get milk and diapers on Sunday morning.

But both of them were like whirling dervishes though compared to the grateful dead, who, for all intents and purposes really could have been dead the night I saw them. So they remain firmly and eternally at the top of the laziest bands I've ever seen list.

I make a distinction between boring and lazy here, because I saw a million boring bands, but at least most of them tried.

Well I know you're not above caring about show business since you posted pictures of your bloody bass a couple of days ago, and that is pure show business.

I've probably seen a thousand bands play in the past 40 years, and in my experience a concert is usually the worst place to hear a band's music. Back when bands actually played instruments, and more so now, when 90% of the time what you're hearing at a pop music concert is a recording.

There have been rare and memorable occasions where I've heard and seen something great, dare I say transcendent, but those experiences are very few and far between.

...your bloody bass...
Funny, Skygazer called it that too. :rolleyes:

I hear you. But what happens naturally to me isn't necessarily what I expect to see in others. Maybe it's because I've probably seen as many jazz shows and classical concerts as I have rock shows over the years.

I'm in the process of ripping about 400-500 of my jazz CDs to my computer and finding some forgotten gems. Here's one I haven't listened to in over 15 years:

And another:

[This video is unavailable.]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back