What are you listening to? The world needs to know. (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian Eno - Here Come the Warm Jets
200px-Warmjetsvinyl.jpg

very nice.

how was it?

Doc Lonnie Smith was in top form.
One of the best concerts I've been to this year.
I don't have any of his records, and didn't quite know what to expect, but from the first note it was one of those concerts that lift your spirits way up there. I guess thats why he calls himself doctor.
I had a seat right in front of the Hammond! :D
Lonnie was playing in a trio with these guys:

JONATHAN KREISBERG guitar
JAMIRE WILLIAMS drums

They did an excellent job and really matched Lonnie's joyful playing.
The concert was on a very small stage, with an audience of about 150.
This is something I love about jazz musicians. They're happy to play for a small audience. I mean: how much can they make with 150 ppl buying tickets.?

And does he lug that Hammond organ with him all over Europe?
;)

thanks, Erik.

Tim Berne was here a couple years ago and I remember thinking 'holy fuck, this is a big deal!' but there were less than 100 people (it was in an old church). Berne and his band hung out between sets and chatted to people and drank beer, etc. and he was saying how good a time he was having.

I've seen Han Bennink a few times here with various bands, crowds always less than 100, but he keeps coming back.

my theory? jazz musicians are nuts and crave any attention they can get, god love 'em! ;)

just started Lou Reed's 'New York'-Album, which means, at the moment I'm listening to 'Romeo had Juliette'.

"... It's hard to give a shit these days. Manhattan sinking like a rock into the filthy Hudson what a shock they wrote about it they said it was like ancient Rome..."

Fuck, I forgot about that album. When I was 14 my stepdad had it in his car on tape. It was one of the first albums of real music I ever listened to. That one has the "Halloween Parade" song, right? Man, what a good album.

Tim Berne was here a couple years ago and I remember thinking 'holy fuck, this is a big deal!' but there were less than 100 people...
Sadly that is usually the fate of really interesting artists. But if Duran Duran showed up for a show they would probably sell out your largest hockey arena. ;)

You want to pity people who you hold in high regard when they do a show for 100 people like that, but it's still satisfying for them. Real musicians just want to get out and play. And the reality is, in almost every way it's better to play for 100 people than 10,000.

thanks, hoochmonkey9. i hope i can afford it soon. i don't know why, but i'm a bit hypnotized by this music & era. i recently watched the joy division documentary dvd from 2006 or 2007 with pictures from manchester (60s/70s) and also the documentary 24 Hour Party People , very impressive, especially the joy division dvd.

the title of which was taken for a very good book on the post punk era. if you like that sort of thing...
Interesting to tag that kind of electro-music noise as "post punk," but I guess we need boxes to put things in if we're going to carry them around.

Its roots are undeniably in the NYC band Suicide, who were pre-punk. ;) I had to hear about how great Suicide was all the time from a bandmate because he had done a lot of shows with them in New York in the early, early CBGB days.

And I always thought Suicide were inspired by Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music. Which wasn't inspired by anything but spite. Which brings it all back around to the punk rock attitude.

Now what? Oasis?

I don't think I knew this Stooges song until I heard it in october at a radio program where Eiffel (my beloved french band for those who still didn't know) was giving a mini gig. I heard it again the two last days while attending their gigs and I'm now having a serious crush for it, this cover being one of my fav titles of their 2009 tour.

Here's a vid from a tv program, a duo with Archive's ex-singer, the blonde one :
http://www.mytaratata.com/Pages/VIDEO_page_video.aspx?sig=iLyROoafI9Ce

I can't decide between the original and the cover (not this duo but the versions I heard during the gigs, without Craig Walter), finding both of them awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, that Frecnhy one is awesome. The guy in the sport coat is especially cool. Though I was a bit disappointed...I expected him to stop at some point and read the news to me or run off to teach a class somewhere.

French punk rock is great.

I'm a big fan of the alt-country/Americana type stuff.
You might like Corb Lund and the Hurtin' Albertans.

and a bunch of others. Even a whole 2007 solo show in Austin, TX, buried somewhere in youtubeville.

that's an interesting hypothesis. my european brain refuses to believe it ;)
Some proto-punk Suicide: although this isn't as disturbing as the Max's Kansas City version they put out a year or so earlier.

And Cleveland's Pere Ubu: . I can't find the earlier single "30 Seconds Over Tokyo", just the movie about Jimmy Doolittle's raid.

A decent sounding [STRIKE]Mardybum[/STRIKE] Morrissey boot, from St Louis April 8 2009.

Code:
http://mozzbozz.vox.com/
:eek:

that's an interesting hypothesis. my european brain refuses to believe it ;)
Digney's link is a taste. Their first album came out in 1977, but they played live for five or six years before that, and were well known among fringey musician types.

From the geniuses at wikipedia:

Never widely popular amongst the general public, Suicide are highly influential: critic Wilson Neate writes that Suicide "would prove as influential as The Clash. Listening to their self-titled 1977 debut from the vantage point of late 2002, it's all so obvious: the synthpop, techno, and industrial dance sounds of the '80s and '90s, and now the new New Wave of electroclash, all gesture back to that foundational album."

He doesn't belong to Eiffel. As I wrote it, he is Archive's ex-singer Craig Walker (Archive being a brit band).
Right. But they are all douchebags, not just him.

You know douche, it's a French word. You gave us douche, we gave you rock and roll. We've done some tremendous things with the douche, but you've only made a mockery of rock.

It's not your fault. The roots of rock and roll go back to WWII, and the mentality and spirit of great rock and roll can clearly be seen if you parallel France and America/Britain during that awful time. It's the difference between subjugation and defiant, bloody ass kicking, no matter the risk or loss to yourself. There is no promise of safety or even survival, and that is rock and roll, honey. Your people can imitate and approximate - and we understand why you want to - but you don't have the balls to do it right. The Americans and the Brits do. It's simple.

Don't feel so bad. You guys make great squeezebox and calliope music. Be proud of that.

Last edited:
mjp your post reminded me of the bonkers Japanese band Polysics. Why? Well, they wrote a song called called 'Married to a Frenchman' (off the album 'Hey!Bob!My Friend!). Of course, like most Japanese groups they look like they come wrapped in cellophane, but I like them.

If you go to the homepage (http://www.polysics.com) when you scroll over any of the options on the top bar, the words 'OR DIE!' appear. How sweet.

Ooh, great, one of those trendy-circa-2001 pomo hipster web sites that are squeezed into a tiny square. Pass.

The Japanese are even worse at rock and roll than the French, and that's quite an achievement if you think about it. But again, it's not their fault. I blame Mothra.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back