What are you listening to? The world needs to know. (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hitler.

He's to blame for everything bad about Germany, right?

Or it could also be Mothra. Think how fast Mothra could get from Japan to Germany with those giant wings. Don't count him out.

Hitler is certainly to blame for Krautrock.

And DAF, though one half of that blame is for Mussolini.

Everything else could have been damn Mothra.

Ooh, great, one of those trendy-circa-2001 pomo hipster web sites that are squeezed into a tiny square. Pass.

The Japanese are even worse at rock and roll than the French, and that's quite an achievement if you think about it. But again, it's not their fault. I blame Mothra.

I'm not really in a position to comment on the quality of websites, given someone gave the comment 'I will beat my retarded child until he makes me a decent website'.

However, I like the japanese stuff for its bizarreness. It sure beats the hell out of 99% of the replica rock we're subjected to in England. However, at heart, there's nothing like a good bottle of Merlot and 'Lambchop is a woman' to calm the sorry soul. And everyone knows Lithuania has the best rock bands anyway.

Know what you're saying about the long fade out solo, etc. The late Peter Laughner was the guitarist. Those final couple chords have me thinking they started jamming to Stephen Stills' "Change Partners" as the recording ended. (The thought of that makes me smile.)

Here's an earlier version of this "" by Rocket From the Tombs. It's a bit noisier (as I remember -- now where's that Pere Ubu cd?) than the later 45 version by Pere Ubu.

Good version of 30 seconds. Thanks for that.

I never got to see Pere Ubu perform, but I did see David Thomas at a Hal Willner produced mega-concert at UCLA of Harry Smith's Anthology of American Folk Music. It was a star-studded concert, but Thomas left everyone else in the dirt with his performance, stomping his 300 or so pounds around the stage, screaming and spitting like some crazed southern baptist preacher. He left quite an impression.

I saw Pere Ubu as part of the Urgh! tour in the late 70s at the Commodore Ballroom in Vancouver. They were with Magazine (Howard Devoto's band), The Members (UK ska/pop) and, god help me, in his power pop phase.

Dear God, that doesn't sound like The Lords Of The New Church at all.
So far I had only read by Legs McNeil that at one time, Stiv Bators wanted to earn money with pop. Now I've faced the tragedy. Hard to swallow.

Provocative. Pop? Small "p" or Big "P" pop/Pop? Or the Greg Shaw variation of power pop?

Greg's version:
POWERPOP TO THE PEOPLE!
Punk had already had its day by 1978, when Bomp Magazine ran a cover story proposing Powerpop: a hybrid style with the power and guts of punk, but drawing on a pop song tradition with wider popular appeal. I had in mind bands like The Who and The Easybeats, (hell, even The Sex Pistols fit my definition!) but much to my chagrin, the term was snapped up by legions of limp, second-rate bands hoping the majors would see them as a safe alternative to punk. I took a lot of heat for starting the whole business, but at the same time, some good bands came through and Bomp worked with many of them, including Shoes, 20/20, Paul Collins, The Plimsouls, and The Romantics. These all went from Bomp to major labels, and made some great records.

But the upshot was that Bomp, which had been punk's first supporter, now had a pop image that we were never entirely able to shake. New Wave was now becoming big business, and given Bomp's track record, we were being approached by every mercenary wagonband in the land. It was, pardon the expression, starting to gross me out.

DANCING WITH THE DEVIL
At the same time, though, that image helped bring to Bomp some of the artists I'm most proud of having worked with, such as Stiv Bators. Seeking to escape from the punk stereotype into more challenging music, Stiv came to Bomp largely because of our powerpop image (with which he was in complete accord), giving the label some of its most enduringly groovy sounds.

But, really, who gives a pop about it? I remember Alex Varty's review of Young, Loud and Snotty in the Georgia Straight writing The Dead Boys' convictions were probably all previous. He was always a better writer than me.

Re: David Thomas and his theatrics...

In 1992, I met Tony Maimone (former bassist of Pere Ubu) backstage after his gig with They Might Be Giants at the Riviera here in Chicago. (I'll pause here while you all catch your breath and try to control your jealousy..... ok...)

A group of us went to Lounge Ax afterward for a few beers. Maimone kind of let down his guard about Thomas and how the rest of Pere Ubu felt about him....

It wasn't pleasant ! You know, he was honest enough to say that he still respected Thomas as a songwriter, but that he had had enough of Thomas' "diva" attitude. Recording sessions were unbearable and booking agents were getting fed up, and yet this just fueled further shitty behavior on Thomas' part. It had become hyper-dysfunctional and I clearly remember Maimone saying "Never again".

Kind of sad, but to be honest, I was - and still am - more of a TMBG fan than a Pere Ubu fan. So, I could give a shit, but it was fun to hear that "inside" scoop anyway. Also, let the record show that Tony Maimone bought most of the pitchers of beer that night. Woo-hoo !

In Part II of my early 90's rock adventures, I will detail nailing Liz Phair in the men's room of The Rainbo Club and breaking up a fight between Urge Overkill and Material Issue in the parking lot of Stanley's Fresh Fruit and Vegetables.

webradio:
RADIOPARADISE

my friend Bogdan has this station playing all day long and after listening to it for over a year, when I am with him, I must admit: about 80% of their shit is TOP! (if not more!)

blue-kentucky-girl.jpg

Krautrock rocks.

[This video is unavailable.]
I like neither the song nor the clip. Just Charlotte Gainsbourg's beauty.:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm listening to Bob Dylan's Christmas album, 'Christmas In The Heart'.

Dylan-1.jpg

Krautrock rocks.

Amb:
This has nothing to do with Krautrock at all.
But thanks for that link anyway, b/c I do think the song is cool and the video is too. (Of course Beck will never be as good as he was with his first recorded-in-the-kitchen-songs in the early 90s, but that one's okay. I like it. Quite. )

Amb:
This has nothing to do with Krautrock at all.
"krautrock rocks" wasn't referring to Charlotte G./Beck song, but to a former discussion including one of your compatriots (he denigrated krautrock). ;)

I wasn't going to say anything, I tried not to, lord god JESUS knows. But you must have known I would have to. I'll just apologize to you in advance, but I can't help it.

I guess my only question is, when does something stop being a bass solo and start being a guitar solo? If I heard that without seeing it I would think it was someone playing the low strings of a guitar. So I guess what my real question is; what's the point of a "bass" solo like that?

I think if Prince or the guy from Slayer played that you would say it was shit. I know who that guy is and I know his reputation, and I think the people giving that solo a standing ovation are applauding his reputation (or they are just idiots). Because there was nothing there. Tapping out Amazing Grace on the harmonics? Come on man. Jesus christ. The "shredding" parts sounded like a coffee can full of little rubber balls. Which was the only cool part, actually. It just needed more reverb. Lots of reverb, and maybe a really diirty analog delay. ;)

The last time I saw a bass solo that wasn't two long minutes of painful twattery was at a Parliament/Funkadelic concert in the 70's. Those crazy bastards knew how to bring it!

The mothership has landed, motherfuckers!

I was just watching a British show called the Punk Years (10 parts, from the 70s to the early 2000s) last night and one of the episodes was on the graphics of punk, and that Buzzcocks sleeve was featured.

coincidence? well, yeah, of course. what else would it be?

anyway, I'm listening to this:

Burning Spear.jpg

Oh my, that's a tasty slice o' pie. Pre-CD I looked for a copy of Garvey's Ghost for about a decade and could never find one.

trompe-le-monde.jpg

P.S. for Roni : Charlotte Gainsbourg's new album, IRM, is to be released on december 7th.

Mark Kozelek. Formerly of the Red House Painters and currently with Sun Kil Moon. This is a great version of an AC/DC song done only with his acoustic guitar. I know how that must sound in my description, but man....

[This video is unavailable.]

Yeah, that Frecnhy one is awesome. The guy in the sport coat is especially cool. Though I was a bit disappointed...I expected him to stop at some point and read the news to me or run off to teach a class somewhere.

French punk rock is great.

Ca Plane Pour Moi.

Search and Destroy is one of the best songs evah and every human should be required to hear it, impossible to do a bad cover of it, I believe even Lionel Ritchie's version would be A O K. Dictators do a pretty nifty one.

Anyone notice that Iggy sings very light a lot of times and uses dynamics in his singing that seems to be lost on all the punk and hardcore folks after him.

And Sucide were a wonderful, wonderful band but suicide is a very dangerous hobby and should only be attempted by Republicans.

And tonight, on this cold, well cold for Los Angeles night, I have the heater going and Bright Eyes "I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning" spinning on the turntable.

Bright-Eyes-Im-Wide-Awake-Its-Morning.jpg

Lots of time on my hands lately, so I made a 20 song xmas mix cd....Then I decided to get all creative and actually paint the cds and covers and give them to 20 of my closest friends. So I made 20 cds, drank a lot of Jack Daniels, and painted them while I drank! Woo-Hoo! So if anyone is looking for some new xmas song ideas, here is my tracklist(go ahead and laugh, or poke fun all you want, I had fun doing it!)
1. We Wish You A Merry Xmas..................Weezer
2. Rockin' Around The Xmas Tree...............Miley Cyrus
3. Just Call Me Scrooge............................Fishbone
4. Lonely Without You (This Xmas).............Mick Jagger
5. Fat Daddy........................................Fat daddy(A John Waters Xmas)
6. Sleigh Ride..........................................Harry Connick, Jr.
7. Frosty The Snowman.............................Fiona Apple
8. Backdoor Santa.....................................Jet
9. Santa Claus(Go Straight to the Ghetto......James Brown
10. Christmas (Baby Please Come Home).......Death Cab For Cutie
11. Christmas Tree On Fire........................Holly Golightly
12. A Christmas Duel................................The Hives/Cyndi Lauper
13. Winter Wonderland..............................Bob Dylan
14. Please Daddy (Don't Get Drunk This Xmas)..The Decembrists
15. Kidnap The Sandy Claus........................koRn
16. Santa Claus Is Coming To Town..............The Jacksons
17. Christmas Time Is Here Again..................My Morning Jacket
18. Peace On Earth....................................U2
19. Little Drummer Boy................................Bright Eyes
20. The Night Before Christmas....................Bright Eyes

Mix.jpg

If I'm in a bad mood with my lady, I dig out my Sufjan Stevens Christmas box set, and my Low Christmas album. Oh, Oh, Oh, how she loves their Christmas offerings.

However, if she's a good girl, I put my David Bowie/Bing Crosby 7" in ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back