What are you listening to? The world needs to know. (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
nervas, The Offspring are always on the radio and I have become a fan.

As for Têtes Noires I must say I don't mind a girl who does not shave her arm pits. It reminds me of a girl I knew in the 6th grade-yes she was from France.

The girl who's second from the right in the bottom photo looks like Leonid Brezhnev. Maybe she's Russian - do they shave their armpits?

Awww, the 1991 album that(please no need for bad jokes) got me into Buk. Red Hot Chili Pepper's Blood Sugar Sex Magic. Before 1991, I just hadn't heard of him in my naive youth. I blame my parents! Though somehow they had introduced me to Anne Rice, and hey, I'm still thankful for that.

rhcp.jpg

...which raises an interesting point...

I have a son - 3 years old.

When do I say 'Hey, boy. Read this'.

I mean, too young and it could really put a dent in his social life. I get the right age and he will think I am the greatest father on earth.

Well, he thinks that now, but - he's 3!

I don't know Têtes Noires but at the same moment in France, there was a punk band called Bérurier Noir:

And the bastards rocked!

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a cute French imitation of punk, sweetheart, but everyone knows that the French don't rock. It isn't in your blood.

There's nothing wrong with that. It's just kind of sad to see you try.

...which raises an interesting point... I have a son - 3 years old.

When do I say 'Hey, boy. Read this'.

I mean, too young and it could really put a dent in his social life. I get the right age and he will think I am the greatest father on earth.
Well, he thinks that now, but - he's 3!
That's funny. I once had a 30min conversation with my ex-girls 10 year old son, who I've known since the day he was born. I said, one day, not now, but maybe when you're 16, 17, whether I'm around or not, I NEED you to look up Bukowski, pick a book, read it, it just may change your life. He promised to, and today he turned 11, so I'm waiting for a phone call in about 5 years, telling me he finally tried it. He was always curious at all the books on the shelf, but of course, was forbidden to read any, so he was happy to read his diary of a wimpy kid books....

That's a cute French imitation of punk, sweetheart, but everyone knows that the French don't rock. It isn't in your blood.

There's nothing wrong with that. It's just kind of sad to see you try.

The naughty old man keeps repeating himself. Is this the beginning of Alzheimer's?

I have discovered a londonian post-punk sounding band named after a Nick Cave's song :cool:, O. Children:

Ruins:

Dead Disco Dancer:

Lov'em (especially the impressive singer)!

The naughty old man keeps repeating himself.
You're right (as always, naturally). I'll stop now.

Um, but before I do --

Name one French rock band that anyone outside of France has heard of.

Time's up! The answer is: there isn't one!

The problem is, when the seeds of rock and roll were being sown, the French were busy bending over for the Militärverwaltung, slapping beurre onto your assholes and saying, "Ready when you are, Führer!" So really, it's not surprising that all the French can do is whine and smoke and sit around in cafes playing those little squeezeboxes.

Hey kid, don't take it too hard. It's not your fault that you are from France. You're still young, you can come to America eventually, and some guy will find your accent charming and buy a house and car for you, eventually discover that the French are turds, divorce you and pay a little sum every month to keep you going.

That's not so bad, is it? It's every little French girl's dream, non?

Rock on!

Last edited:
The Dogs and Metal Urbain don't hold up very well. Neither does Johnny Hallyday. Seems more like France embraced jazz.

I used to listen to the tape a lot.

And there's always The Lost Fingers from Quebec doing their Django inspired renditions of pop, by a sort of one hit wonder (was it a hit over "here"?) Plastic Bertrand, a new waver.

Oh man, mjp that was funny! Hey I always thought Franz Ferdiwhatever was from France, they suck, but I thought they were from France. Bono once said a few years ago, that was the only band that had his almighty, looking over his shoulder?? Anyways, maybe it's just just the two F's in their name that made me think they were from France? Moot point now, because Wikipedia tells me their from Scotland.

And since I have not much else to do today, I've decided to try and listen to every White Stripes song, album in my iPod(182 songs.)

jacky.jpg

you may not like the guy,
but THIS song is simply GREAT !!!!!

"A billion people died on the news tonight
But not so many cried at the terrible sight..."

Been listening to by Love a lot lately. Can never remember the individual song titles, usually just go through the album. I wonder how long this will stay up? Usually the label yanks Love due to copyright infringement.

nervas, that is a good one.

me? because I'm highly impressionable and have The Brian Jonestown Massacre on the brain, I bought their latest one...

Who Killed.jpg

the sound of suburban trains that are 5 blocks west and
crossing over at least two different gang territories and yet - No gunfire.

Plus the fizz of fresh ice cubes in Coca-Cola.
Caffeine at 2:30.
Great idea.

TomWaits-GlitterAndDoomLive.jpg

Fabulous live one from Mr. Waits, with a bonus CD, "Tom Tales", with his weird tales only, compiled from various concerts.

you can come to America eventually, and some guy will find your accent charming and buy a house and car for you
I am waiting for your proposal, babe. And for your next book, I hate French rock'n'roll!:), my lovely poet laureate of the pomo bloggers.

In the meantime, I am listening everyday to this undoubtedly great piece of US rock so as to have you constantly in mind:

But they are covering Plastic Bertrand, and he's French. Very French indeed.
He is/was a Belgian.

I forgot how much I love this album! [Grinderman's Grinderman]
I won't expect this from someone who loves the faux Guns N' Roses. :D

Right now:

.........my lovely poet laureate of the pomo bloggers. ???

That's sweet. I love the affection that gets loosely tossed about in here.

Wow, hooch, that's weird.... I was reading this article today in the L.A. times about a record store near me, that just celebrated its 1 year anniversary this last weekend. Just a couple weeks ago they were celebrating having the dum dum girls on vinyl. I must say, hadn't heard of them till I read the article.

TheAngelsOfLight-WeAreHim.jpg

The Angels Of Light's (post-Swans project of Michael Gira) 2007 album - "We Are Him". By the way, Swans are going to be resurrected by Gira and a new album is scheduled for this fall. Can't wait!

I recently stumbled into a local tavern and there were three Italians rocking like I have never quite herd before. Fuzz Orchestra......... Dig It!

mjp They share your views about France.

Plastic Bertrand is (was?) Belgian?!? I sit corrected. Just bolsters the reason for this forum: that Belgians have a sense of humour and French rock is merde.

And here is the final proof I was looking for... I listened to 282 complete albums last year! Well, it's only April 7th and I've already listened to 299!!!! So I definitely have more time on my hands this year! Anyway, here is number 300! Erykah Badu's New Amerikah part I. It's pretty good..

eykah.jpg

Dunno, but I have been doing it for years, and what books I read and what movies I watch, etc. It's called a journal. Everyone says I'm gay, but I know, deep down, I'm really not. You see, currently I'm head over heels over a girl, whose first word was "coke," as in coca cola and well I think she's just the bee's knee's, so there's that.

It's all about Johnny Cash, even his posthumous albums still do it for me. Listening to some vintage Cash, reading Bukowski, eating buttered toast... life can be simple yet oh so good sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back