What are you listening to? The world needs to know. (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still stuck on Purple.
Damn, it screams; got to love Roger Glover! Just found it on youtube:

Right On! PS! That is great! I always dug Deep Purple, always loved the story about the hotel burning down, which led to...Smoke On The Water...
Great Vocalist/Great drummer/Great Everything...:cool:crb

51X463zeF6L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Great Vocalist/Great drummer/Great Everything...:cool:crb

Ian Paice may be one of the most under-rated drummers in R&R (next to whomever was in the Kinks, of course). I mean, you hear about Moonie and Bonham ad nauseum. But obviously, Paice's greatest attribute is that he didn't choke on his own vomit.

Juno Soundtrack

Okay just wondering how do you get an image to show up. I know i am being a complete dolt about doing this. Just curious. i know it's something really simple.:)

Okay just wondering how do you get an image to show up. I know i am being a complete dolt about doing this. Just curious. i know it's something really simple.:)

You just click the Insert Image button
insertimage.gif
, and then use the URL / web address of the image. A lot of the covers here are on Am*zon. If you have Firefox you get the URL by right-clicking the image and selecting 'copy image location'. In Internet Explorer its not so simple, you have to right-click the image, choose properties then select / highlight the URL and then right-click again to copy it.

:)

You just click the Insert Image button
insertimage.gif
, and then use the URL / web address of the image. A lot of the covers here are on Am*zon. If you have Firefox you get the URL by right-clicking the image and selecting 'copy image location'. In Internet Explorer its not so simple, you have to right-click the image, choose properties then select / highlight the URL and then right-click again to copy it.

:)

21%2B5HMLL2fL._SL500_AA160_.jpg

Sweeeeeet!!! thanks hank solo and marina del ray. I feel like I've graduated to the next level..:)

I have been doing this thing this year where I am tracking how many complete albums I can listen to in 2009. I have a 160GB iPod that's full, and I usually spend so much time jumping from band to band and track to track I decided I'd try and get through some complete albums, good or bad. If they're on the iPod, then they must have been put there for a reason. So anyway as of today I have made it through 37 albums. Here are the last five I listened to:

Love Is Hell by Ryan Adams
Album Of The Year by The Good Life
Sleeping With Ghosts by Placebo
Either/Or by Elliott Smith
I'm Wide Awake It's Morning by Bright Eyes

All were very good albums, with Elliott Smith and Bright Eyes being the standouts.

Anyway I'm off to finish the album I'm currently listening to: Here My Dear by Marvin Gaye.

Hooch...
Just listened to a song of a band from Novia Scotia, "Wintersleep".
Are they familiar to you?

Hooch...
Just listened to a song of a band from Novia Scotia, "Wintersleep".
Are they familiar to you?

was the song "Weighty Ghost"? that's a fairly big song all over Canada (for what that's worth ;) ).

Just discovered this guy.
Jazz-reggae-guitar legend.
Cool name! Good stuff!
Looking forward to digging up more of his albums!

https://bukowskiforum.com/showthread.php?p=59105#post59105

He had more impact, in the Caribbean at least, during the ska era, but he played on a good number or reggae records too. Very distinctive sound though. You can hear him a mile away. Like when you hear some obscure Mozart piece in the background somewhere, and your ears jump up and you go, "Mozart!"

But that's a subject for another thread: "Who is the Mozart of Caribbean guitarists?"

Thank you Erik; That's the way to listen to Reggae. When I started on this forum I did not care for Reggae, although it was better than Country Western. I almost like it now.
Erik, isn't the whole country of Norway the west coast?

I've always loved reggae. Never really thought about why. It may have started with Clapton's take on I Shot the Sherif, back in the 70s. But I'd call . Has played with countless other reggae legends. Etc. etc.

Discoveries like this are fun.

MJP: you mention Tosh as a guitarist, does he have any instrumental albums?
Erik, isn't the whole country of Norway the west coast?

At last somebody that actually gets the joke!

MJP: you mention Tosh as a guitarist, does he have any instrumental albums?
No. Very early on he made some instrumental singles as an organist (under the name Peter Touch - which was what everyone called him in Jamaica), but the only later instrumentals you'll hear are the versions (dubs), and they are hard to come by for Tosh. You have to have the 7" singles to hear most of them.

He wasn't comparable to Ranglin, he was not a lead guitarist, and he was not a formally educated musician. His playing was great within the context of the songs. I imagine most people would not be impressed by an instrumental album of his music. I didn't even realize what he was up to until I saw him play, and watched him work the Cry Baby for an hour and a half (while singing, conducting and performing). His guitar weaved in and out of the music like an embroidery needle, always laying the perfect stitches right where they needed to be. It was something to see, and I've seen a lot of guitarists play. Fiyah, I tell ya!

The component parts of reggae, taken by themselves, are usually unimpressive. They would not be particularly technically challenging to most musicians, but it's not as easy to play as it sounds. Kind of like Bukowski's poetry. Its simplicity hides its genius. The magic (when it happens) lies in the way all those seemingly unimpressive parts are put together. Then, in context, you can see how important each part is. The right method of blending the ingredients - that's what makes it swing, babies!

Why is Woody Guthrie in your car while you're inside on the computer?

Oh, tell Woody I said "Hi." He'll understand.

Okay, post #102 above just enlightened me. Now the seemingly goofy mention of swing makes sense. That is the one constant of Reggae music I could never put my finger on,
mjp: His guitar weaved in and out of the music like an embroidery needle, always laying the perfect stitches right where they needed to be.
very well put.
I may have always turned away from Reggae due to it's simplicity, that and there are a few bad Reggae acts.

Currently listening to Woody Guthrie in my car.
The Woody Guthrie & reggae connection is a good call. There's something common there. The playful simplicity, the no-nonsense earnestness, the folk connection.
Got me to thinking...

Sweet Home Alabama - big wheels keep on turnin, carryin me home to see my kin...i miss alabamy once again, and i think it's a sin...and oh, yeah, fuck neil young, a southern man don't need him around anyhow.

and rust does sleep. it also rusts.

11998.jpg

I rediscovered them about 3 years ago and have been giving this album a lot of playtime to and from work... For reasons I can't describe... I love it.

Allman Brothers at the Fillmore East. Vol 1 - March 12/13, 1971. Vol 2 from the recently released (well, 2006 - that's recent when you get to my age) and updated Eat a Peach, which has a full disc of Fillmore East, June 27, 1971.

No doubt one of mjp's favorite bands, with all that aimless jamming. Very punk, don't you know.

The Cure. Acoustic Greatest Hits.

Allman Brothers at the Fillmore East. Vol 1 - March 12/13, 1971. Vol 2 from the recently released (well, 2006 - that's recent when you get to my age) and updated Eat a Peach, which has a full disc of Fillmore East, June 27, 1971.

No doubt one of mjp's favorite bands, with all that aimless jamming. Very punk, don't you know.
Almonds and peaches together sounds delicious. What's not to love?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back