What are you listening to? The world needs to know. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jerry Jeff Walker - self-titled vinyl from '78.

253594.jpg

Is that one of those bands that sing in the scary monster voice? I love them. They are all so exciting and exceptional, so unique (all of them). And anti-establishment! No one is more so.

You're such a German boy, I love it! 35 years ago it would have been Kraftwerk. Anything without a hint of soul.

That's cheap and no there's no scary monster voice, baby.
You're such an american boy with such superficial aggression, mjp.
It reads just as stupid as your comment.
Cheap.

The word sisters is the only word on the record that's sung in a miniscule monster voice.
Admitting that you listen to music where the guy sings in the monster voice is the first step to recovery. So bravo for that. Bravo.

Voivod - Katorz

RIP Denis D'Amour

Rang a bell. I remember seeing the band name in Chuck Eddy's 1990 book Stairway to Hell. Think it even prompted me to buy a cassette way back then. But the sound wasn't what I wanted to hear.

I'll give them a point for doing a cover of "Astronomy Domine", the old Syd Barrett/Pink Floyd tune. Maybe a half point (up or down, either way) for the live version on youtube of "Search and Destroy".

Interviewed after Denis D'Amour passed away. I taped and watched A Headbanger's Journey recently. The guy doing the interview, Sam Dunn, is from Victoria, BC, went all over the world chasing down various paths of metal. Don't remember Voivod making the final movie but that's okay, they have something going for them. (Not that I want to pay any money for it.)

As someone on those youtube wrote: vive le metal quebecois.

(What I don't get is "Katorz". Is that a play on 14 en francais, quatorze? I only see 13 albums on their website discography.

Admitting that you listen to music where the guy sings in the monster voice is the first step to recovery. So bravo for that. Bravo.

Oh Snow White, you are so eloquent.
I love a lot of bands where the guy or the lady sings in a monster voice, but I'm picky about that. Some just sound ridiculous. But I like the good ones for it comes as a brutal release of emotions. And guess what, they have something to say - you just don't understand them, that's why lyric sheets are included.
Clever idea, eh? ;)

But I'm not listening to badabadaboom all day.

Lamb, Portishead, Depeche Mode certainly have no growls from the depths of madness, nor do Red Lorry Yellow Lorry, Virgin Prunes, Fliehende Stürme scream their guts out.

Don't stay in your coffin.
Let me give you a kiss.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've decided that for too long I have been overlooking The Beatles pre-Rubber Soul songs. For a long time I've mainly stuck to Rubber Soul and onwards, dismissing the Beatlemania era due to the overplayed hits like 'She Love Me' etc. So anyway I decided to go through each album and filter out the ones I really liked. (I only chose originals) There's a lot of songs on the early albums that I can't tolerate but these ones I love to bits. There's something great about their early sound; it's playful, fresh and fun but you can hear subtle indicators to their later sound.

Anyway it goes something like this:

Misery
There's a Place
P.S. I Love You
All I've Got to Do
Don't Bother Me
Little Child
Any Time at All
I'll Cry Instead
Things We Said Today
I'm a Loser
No Reply
I'll Follow the Sun
Every Little Thing
What You're Doing
You've Got to Hide Your Love Away
I Need You
It's only love
Tell Me What You See
I've Just Seen a Face
I'll Get You

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=611C9823B1831A77
Since I made this on youtube I thought I may as well post a link just incase anyone felt like they need some early-Beatles in their system.

Digney, there was a picture disc between Killing Technology and Dimension Haträss - on the A-side Too Scared To Scream and Cockroaches on the B-side.

Both tracks are on the late cd issue of Killing Technology.

Well for anyone wondering what the new Chris Cornell CD "Scream" is like... I can give my humble opinion...It's nearly UNLISTENABLE! I'm not sure why he decided to work with Hip Hop producer Timbaland, but he did and it really goes nowhere. I mean, it's a bunch of Justin Timberlake like beats with Chris Cornells howling over them paying no attention to anything around him. Actually, I guess I'm just a fan of Chris with Soundgarden, don't like Audioslave much, and his other 2 solo albums were as bad as this one.

Anyway, beyond that, the last 5 albums I listened to:

U2 - No Line On The Horizon (Better than I expected)
Red Hot Chili Peppers - By The Way (Still a classic to me)
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Show Your Bones (These three can rock)
Probot - Probot (Dave Ghrol's Heavy Metal Side band, pretty good)
One Day As A Lion - One Day As A Lion (Zack from Rage Against The Machine, eh, ok.)

Dry is one of the greatest albums in rock history, in my always humble opinion. Big and loud and magnificent from start to finish. It's what every band who thinks they rock should aspire to.

Yeah, I'm looking at you, Herman's Hermits!

[...] You're such a German boy [...]

is this the moment, when I'm entitled to feel hurt?
;-))

Are we germans All listening to soulless or cliché music?
:-O

(Not to defend anybody here for his musical tastes, that I don't even know.
Just the question: is this really the image of german music that gets through to the US? I'm seriously Asking!!!)

[...] U2 - No Line On The Horizon (Better than I expected) [... ] [/I]

Is it really good?
Haven't heared it by now.

I'm a fan of U2, but did not like their new single ('Get on your boots') at all. It sounds and looks cheap.
So, your indication is, the album is all right? (hope!)

hooch:
P.J. H. kicks ass, that's true for sure!

Roni, no, of course not. I knew you would pick up on that as I was typing it, but I couldn't resist. ;)

I've decided that for too long I have been overlooking The Beatles pre-Rubber Soul songs...Since I made this on youtube I thought I may as well post a link just incase anyone felt like they need some early-Beatles in their system.
Good post, HF; I'll check out the youtube link when I have a minute. It's also nice to see a mix of Lennon and Macca (and a few Harrisongs) tunes there. Post Rubber Soul, it's almost all Lennon for me.

But, in my opinion, you missed a big one: I'll Be Back, from A Hard Day's Night. Give it another listen, you know, just for me.

Just the question: is this really the image of german music that gets through to the US? I'm seriously Asking!!!)

German%20Band.jpg

This is reality, isn't it? :D

Well, it opens with a 30-minute tuba solo that consists of a single note (Eb) in crescendo until 29:58, at which time a bratwurst is chewed in 7/4 time, and then transcends into an exposition of clocks without second hands as interpreted by a Roland D50 and a bowl of sauerkraut.

Very prog.

Well, it opens with a 30-minute tuba solo that consists of a single note (Eb) in crescendo until 29:58, at which time a bratwurst is chewed in 7/4 time, and then transcends into an exposition of clocks without second hands as interpreted by a Roland D50 and a bowl of sauerkraut.

Very prog.

The Bavarians sure know how to rock the Oktoberfest. Ahead of their time.
Innovative. Music- and lyricwise. Free bratwurst for everyone. Sauerkraut for the masses. I hate them. For spreading this picture of schuhplattlering farmers around the world. Because of them nobody believes we have a diverse culture here. Like people in the U.S. only drink Pepsi and eat fast food. God bless this propaganda. I just can't get enough of it.

FTW

:)

mjp, I too wouldn't 've been able to resist.

Purple: You gave me a HUGE laugh!
Two times! (#143 + #147)

mjp's 'Kraftwerk'-joke (in #144) was funny too!

You really GOT german 'culture'.

I was lying, trying to safe my country ( heroic ).

Your impressions are right -

There's no such thing as a german culture.
We have nothing but unemployment.
And fear of strangers.
But we are the Masters Of The Universe in any case.
He-Man is our president.
White, blond hair, blue eyes.
At school we are tought about Aryans living at the north pole.
They are 3 mtrs tall.
We may only listen to Wagner.
The Gestapo is observing us on our sexual habits.

I am forced to write this because a Teutonian is pointing a loaded bratwurst at my head.

And Kraftwerk's synthesizers were built from potatoes and fueled by sauerkraut juice.

" Oh Odin, Odin, Odin, your schäferhund puppies ate my yoghurt.
Odin, let me smell your divine feet.
La la la ... "

Just a song playing in my head...

:eek:

There's no such thing as a german culture.
Well, don't feel too bad. Most places are far, far behind AMERICA when it comes to culture. It's not just Germany. At least you used to make good cars there. You know, before Japan got all, "Hey, now we're going to make the best cars, so screw you!" So you have some olden days pride to stand on there.

And some people actually like Kraftwerk, and that song about the balloons that the pretty girl sang, so you've got the pop music too (to stay relevant to the thread, after all).

Food - hmm, sorry, you've got nothing there.

Art - let me think a while.

So all in all, Germany is not the worst place on earth. Not while so much of the Eastern Bloc is in ruins. Hang in there.

I hail from a Nordic land that values a good bratwurst, so you are right, I may have to rescind my comment about German food. At least where the spicy cased meats are concerned. I never could warm up to sauerkraut though.

I hail from a Nordic land that values a good bratwurst, so you are right, I may have to rescind my comment about German food. At least where the spicy cased meats are concerned. I never could warm up to sauerkraut though.

Sauerkraut belongs in the "What is Art?" thread.

Especially Sabrett's.

Stove-top warm or fridge cold.

And perfect atop a fine bratwurst. ;)

<last off-topic from me here>

I never could warm up to sauerkraut

Not a big fan of it either. Though it has a whole lot of vitamin C and is good for your health all over, baby.

In my area (Franconia) we sometimes add savoy instead of sauerkraut to our dumplings.
I do like That.

</last off-topic from me here>

What am I listening to?

(DON'T stop before the refrain at .32!)

I love sauerkraut. even as a kid. they called me the The Sauerkraut Kid. I had a robe with that embroidered on my back. I'd walk down the street and everybody would shout "Hey! Here comes The Sauerkraut Kid! Make way for The Kid!"

ok. that didn't happen. but I do love sauerkraut.

so, I'm listening to .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back