What are you listening to? The world needs to know. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Billville: That was certainly worth the price of admission. Good stuff. You know how some folks just have it and others may not? Yeah. Townes certainly has got it.

Sign-up tomorrow. 28 years in, four sign-ups per year, and it still drives me nuts. Listening to to get in the mood. Have stared at the sheets online for hours (better than going in early) only to end up "signing your life away", as we say. Ten or eleven sign-ups to go, in theory anyway. (Fucking rhymes, but only in theory.)

Christ, I'm feeling sorry for myself, aren't I? I dunno, Friday-Saturday off, evenings (cooler), short piece on Sunday? Three weeks off this summer? I can do it. One. More. Time. I'm sure.

Tippa Irie, Complain Neighbour,
from a 'Soul Jazz Records' compilation
The sound is better on the cd,
but the you tube video is just great.
cd-[This video is unavailable.]
video-[This video is unavailable.]

DCP_0006.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Aside from No Doubt, which is, of course, the fount from which all great reggae springs, check for anything from Jamaica released between 1973 and 1979. That is the era before Jamaica became overrun with cocaine and everyone lost their minds and started using drum machines. You can actually go back to 1970 or so, but the further back you go, the more primitive the sound, and your iPod might refuse to play it, thinking it's defective somehow.

But you should understand that asking for some "reggae" is like asking someone to recommend some "rock." There are a lot of different sounds. If you like good songs you can't go wrong with the Wailers. Anything with Bob Marley, Peter Tosh or Bunny Wailer's name on it (from that 73-79 period) is going to be good. Burning Spear, Culture...and 50 other groups or singers.

If want to lay around, smoke herb, stick it to Babylon and see where all this modern hip hop/trance/dance music got its start, get some dub (again, from the same period); Lee Scratch Perry, Augustus Pablo, I-Roy, U-Roy, King Tubby...etc., etc.

If you like the sound of a dozen people playing different sized hand drums (and who doesn't, right?) check out Ras Michael and the Sons and Daughters of Negus or Count Ossie and the Mystical Revelation of Rastafari. They play Nyabinghi music, which is usually all drums and chanting about Jah, so not exactly everyone's cup of tea.

These lists could go on, and really, they are only the tip of the iceberg. Once the 80's started roots reggae music died a quick and unceremonius death, so if you want some reggae that isn't really reggae, go for something more modern, like dancehall. It will have all those soulless BEATS, electronic squaks and people singing about guns, money and their cocks that the kids love so much.

No Doubt is one of the rare things I listened to during my teen years that I'm not ashamed of today. I particularly liked this one :
Mikeypants, I'm not fond of reggae but I can suggest you Tiken Jah Fakoly, whom I saw during a festival and made me have a good time :)
http://www.myspace.com/tikenjah

Another one could be Gentleman and the Far East band, mikeypants.
Germaican. And without a doubt No Doubt ain't worth a doubt because they're pop shit in my utterly unkind opinion.

On a Rod Stewart binge... you know. I caught his performance on American Idol recently, and it really depressed me... he's falling apart. So I need to remember Rod when he was great. Love his voice, always. Maggie May is a master piece.

Thanks for the suggestions, mjp.IK was actuajjy listenig to marley when i decided to ask, and it's starting toseem like No D oubt is actually selling out. could you imagine squandering ail that raw talent?

A friend's just shown me this clip from NIN :

Marilyn Manson appears in it. A young Manson without make-up and extravagant clothes, looking like a normal guy. I would have never imagined saying that one day : I find him cute :D

Great clip, I've never seen that.

Currently listening to a lot of promos. Alec Empire's new EP is crap. However I'm falling in love with a group from Manchester called Last Harbour that play this eerie folky stuff, the singer sounds a lot like Nick Cave. I should be getting Sonic Youth's new album tomorrow so I'll hopefully soon be listening to that.

Once the 80's started roots reggae music died a quick and unceremonius death,

Interesting. I think the same can be said of Rock music. In fact, someone did say it--wrote a whole book on it called Flowers In The Dustbin. The author's stance is that rock reached it's zenith by 1977. It's hard to argue with that. Everything that's come after has pretty much just been variations on a theme.

Steve Earl doing Townes Van Zandt

Steve Earle is coming to Montreal in July and "bien entendu" I'll be going. I loved his Copperhead Road Days sound.

He says that he is not out to sustain Townes as a beautiful loser.
He has recorded a cd of Townes' songs. TVZ was also his mentor.

He sort of looks a little like our mjp, graying with a full beard and glasses.

He has also just finished writing a novel titled I'll Never Get Out of This World Alive based on the life of Hank Williams.
Anyhow, I'll attend the show at The National, a pretty intimate space.

[This video is unavailable.]

Interesting. I think the same can be said of Rock music.
Maybe. Though probably for much different reasons. Reggae died, basically, because the island of Jamaica became flooded with cheap cocaine, and very quickly the populace went from the herb high of Easy Skankin' to the cranked up high of Beats To Grind Your Teeth To. The famous studios withered as the young singers rejected live musicians in favor of synthetic sounds (which were cheaper to produce). Reggae basically degenerated into a sub-genre of hip hop.

But you see the same thing today in both rock and reggae: a new crop of kids who are starting to gravitate toward the old ways, the old organic sounds. That doesn't necessarily make for change or progress, but any shift toward creativity opens the doors to change.

If you look at both styles of music, they went quite quickly from very organic, very raw sounds to more static electronic sounds and rhythms. It seems like at this point that vein has been mined, and people are saying, okay, this thumpthumpthump electronic trance is a very limited thing. Let's back up and try another route. So who knows.

You know, I'm only in agreement here because youknowwho said so, but beside that; very aptly put, and if I could of said it myself, I would of. Thanks! CRB:)

My last discovery :

A good band to listen each time you want to have some fun.

In Wikipedia, their style is described as glam metal. I'd rather call that drag-queen metal.

When I look at them, two things come to my mind :

malabar.gif

(a french bubble gum)

&

suikerspin-suikerspin.jpg

Don't ask me why.

Black Swan, I was mixing up Diane Dufresne and Fabienne Thibeault ! :D Years ago, this latter took part to the tv program Fort Boyard (maybe you know it) and her meeting with spiders was one of the most hilarious ones :

For those who don't know, before playing with spiders, Fabienne sang this :
[This video is unavailable.]

...I personally prefer to hear her insulting spiders :D

Ambreen said:
...I personally prefer to hear her insulting spiders :D

I had totally forgotten her over the years.
The spider thing was indeed quite funny.:D
With Plamondon's Starmania she became more popular in France than in Quebec.

Are the Tigertailz the new leading band of Gay Pride? :D

The funny thing about insulting spiders is they don't have ears.
No matter how hard you scream at them, they can't you.
Some nice looking scorpions in the clip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back