What are you listening to? The world needs to know. (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
94a07220eca0600698a35010.L.jpg

Now that's a cool reminder. I got to hear Violent Femmes first from Fort Worth exchange students, they loved VF. They also introduced me to Dr. Pepper and were introduced to German beer, but that's another off topic teenage story.

I was looking at Arte (a franco-german TV channel)'s website to see what its "Summer of the 80s" programms consist in when I saw that video, a new version of "99 Luftballoons" specially recorded by Nena for the said "Summer of the 80s" :
http://www.arte.tv/fr/2725124.html#0

Elected the song of this night :D

(Roni, das ist für dich : http://www.arte.tv/de/woche/244,broadcastingNum=1026956,day=4,week=32,year=2009.html).

I sometimes regret not having a TV anymore ; TV is not all shitty, there are some good channels like Arte, I'm missing some excellent programms, pfff...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I was listening to far too much wacko talk radio until I began to scare myself, so I backed off that and now I'm listening to some sort of spacy eastern electronica stuff. Have no idea of what it's called or even where it's from, but the lyrics are seldom in English and the voices are soothing and it's foreign enough to keep me interested.

Zohar? Or close to that...

Self explanatory:

Maybe not your cup of tea, but hang in until FZ's guitar solo. That SG is singin'.
Fucking hot band too.

Headphones recommended.

Maybe not your cup of tea, but hang in until FZ's guitar solo. That SG is singin'.
I'm surprised you would describe that horrible choked sound as "singing," especially after dismissing Prince's guitar playing as overly processed.

The beginning of the solo is pure fuzz box, which sounds like dog shit (or the first Stooges album) to my ears. In the middle he switches over to a wah pedal, which sounds great.

He does something in that solo that a lot of players used to do: kick on the wah, set it where it sounds good and leave it there (Zappa used that effect quite a lot actually). That's a secret weapon in reggae music, to get that distinctive chuck in the rhythm guitar. I have a very old first-generation Cry Baby wah pedal which is one the few "if you touch that I'll tear your fucking arms off" piece of gear I own. But I'm currently soldering together an envelope filter stomp box that will give me that "stuck in the middle" wah sound consistently. Because I know you were all very curious about that.

Anyway, funny story about Zappa's wah pedal. In 1969 he signed the Alice Cooper group to his tax write off label, Straight. Consequently, the Coopers were at his place quite often. Cooper guitarist Michael Bruce loved the sound of Zappa's wah pedal, so one day he just brought in his own wah, switched it with Zappa's, and took off. He was quite happy about that bit of larceny until JESUS intervened and someone stole Zappa's wah from Bruce. So someone out there has a wah pedal that they proudly describe as being "from the dude in Alice Cooper," but it's really Zappa's.

Yeah, the tone's not the best in the first part, but it seems to fit nicely against that groove, which is pretty hot and ramps up nicely when the solo starts.

Cool wah story, and that old Cry Baby of yours must be nice.

For about 5 to 6 weeks now, I listen to the album
LOU REED - MAGIC AND LOSS

esp. the songs
- SWORD OF DAMOCLES (5)
- DREAMIN' (8)
- MAGIC AND LOSS (14)

(even though being a genuine Lou Reed fan, I refused to buy this album for years, just because of its stupid cover-design. And even after I've bought it some years ago, I've only listened to it, say one or two times. Now, at last, I got over the cover and started to enjoy the music on it. I started to enjoy it VERY MUCH.)

You're welcome, Roni !

Magic%20And%20Loss.jpg

I don't find it that ugly, compared to, for instance, this masterpiece of bad taste :

01_Stadium_Arcadium.jpg

You don't like the Chilli Peppers? I'm disappointed. Next thing you're saying is you don't like Lady Gaga and Discobitch.

I was talking of "Stadium Arcadium"'s cover.
But you're not wrong, I can't stand their music as well.

Farewell Song - Janis Joplin

Last Thursday, I dedicated this to my grandmother at her wake after I did the eulogy. My father said to me later, "Great speech... but I can't believe you played acid rock at your grandmother's wake." I believe not in god or heaven or hell, but that she was laughing.

I'm excited about Righteous Fool - they don't have the ep out yet, but I'm getting my thrills here:

that's a Green Manalishi coverversion,
here: own track Asteroid,
and here: Hungry Child, an old COC tune.

Self explanatory:

Fucking hot band too.

Headphones recommended.

Great stuff!
Zappa is absolutely my cup of tea. I've got the clip on VHS. I taped a 30 min. Swedish Zappa in memoriam TV program where it appeared.

- For the last couple of days I've been listening to The Stones 'Singles Collection - The London Years'...

Muse's second new single, "The uprising" :
http://www.tuxboard.com/?muse-uprising-paroles

Concerning the link Muse/Twilight, it turns out that Muse is one of Stephenie Meyer's muse. I've read that she's a huge fan of them, that she wrote her books while listening to Muse and that the band's music has inspired her. She's even dedicated one of her books to Muse...Their presence in the soundtrack is thus something natural.

Oh my god...fuck MUSE already, fuck them to death now please. Jesus Christ. Enough.

For anyone sick of angsty teenage girl wet panty music, feel free to cleanse your palettes with this.

From 1982, and out of print ever since, the great dub poet Michael Smith. The album is called Mi C'yaan Believe It!, and the track here is called Trainer. 27 years later, it still works for me. A monster.

I just found the MP3, and listening to it at work I can't tell if there's any bass on it (fuck MP3 along with MUSE, by the way), but if you can hear the bass - what! What a track.

...me's a man that will burn up harp
and tear off house top
because I got some wicked thoughts...

There's a couple glitches in the file, but they aren't too severe. Since I haven't had the vinyl for a couple of decades I'll take it any way I can get it.

Oh yeah, and fuck MUSE.

[edit]

I just remembered that Michael Smith had a very slim volume of poetry published by City Lights way back when. I'll have to look for it when I get home. The book may be more rare than the LP...

Yeah, great song MJP. I've never heard of Michael Smith but now I'm gonna try and find some of him. There's that reggae I was looking for. I hope there's a bunch of that stuff on Playlist.com.

This should be a Talking Heads' song. Yeah they work. Thanks again, Bukfan.

Just finished "One By One" by Robert Francis. Any fans of Townes Van Zandt, Leonard Cohen, etc. might find it enjoyable. I thought it was pretty good for a debut album by a 19year old!

Anyone else ever heard it?

P.S. How the heck do you post a picture in your post, without making it an attachment? I love how everyone posts the album cover in their posts...but cannot figure out how to do it.

P.S. How the heck do you post a picture in your post, without making it an attachment? I love how everyone posts the album cover in their posts...but cannot figure out how to do it.

You need to 'Go Advanced' and then insert an image with the
insertimage.gif
button. You'll need the URL (web address) of the image you wish to insert. You can add an attachment and use it's link as the URL or get the URL of an image from amazon or somewhere.

robert-francis.jpg

Ahhh, I see. Got it. Thanks Hank Solo, well then to my previous post above, just finished "One By One" by Robert Francis. Great album!

Marina, I enjoy getting on the nerves of people like you. :missingdevilishsmiley:
Adieu sweetheart.

Muse, a band for angsty teenagers ? Come on, not only. Those who posted in the other topic are the proof that this band's public is composed of other age-groups than angsty teens.
And the paragraph on Twilight was intended to Lickthestar, so as to show him that Muse was somewhat bound to take part to the soundtrack. I've neither seen nor read these things, I've just picked these elements on the web.

Reggae, I heard some a little while ago ; I'm just coming back from an "Africa Express" concert. It's actually the name of a musical project led by Damon Albarn, consisting in several hours long jam-sessions putting together occidental and african musics. Some cool names were announced for this night (Rachid Taha, Magic Numbers, Ebony Bones, Albarn himself, etc.) but I couldn't hear a lot since I was with a friend who didn't feel well. So I'm here again quicklier than expected, leaning toward this machine, waving goodbye to Marina and now ready to click on the link toward..."Uprising", of course !

Nervas, you reassure me : so, all the guys are not geeks who can resolve within ten seconds a computer problem that worried you during days. Some are still human.

I just remembered that Michael Smith had a very slim volume of poetry published by City Lights way back when. I'll have to look for it when I get home.
Found it. It A Come, Published by City Lights in 1989. 27 poems, 61 pages.

Interesting that City Lights would publish it, since all the poems are written in dense Jamaican patois that only bears a passing resemblance to English. The editor, Mervyn Morris, wrote a long introduction that quotes Smith talking about how he wrote (I say 'wrote' because he was murdered in 1983) poems:

"Or sometimes a rhythm come to me first. You know, is a rhythm, and me seh, 'Dah rhythm-ya feel nice, you know, feel nice.' And then me try remember the rhythm...and then I build under that, build up under that. Build under that and catch me breaks and the bridges. Just like how a musician a work out."

Which is interesting because I always find the best poets deal instinctively with rhythm, if not purposely like Smith.

For a few years there - the late 1970's to the mid 80's - dub poetry was very popular. But it kind of came and went. It was a natural extension of the deejay culture (that gave birth to hip hop), but then electronic dancehall came along and kind of made all the previous forms of reggae obsolete for a while.

Lots of really cheap copies of It A Come are available on ABE for anyone who is curious.

OK, so its not music, but the thread title says "What are u listening to", so here it is:
Info on email encryption on NPR (click)
nprlogo_138x46.gif

Wow! That Stagger Lee guy is a real jerk, and I'm pretty sure he's gay.
I hope you're talking of Stagger Lee himself and not of the guy singing about Stagger Lee, a.k.a. Nick Cave, who's neither a jerk nor a (proud) gay, but one of the most talented and handsome men in the world (...I mean, without his moustache...). Of course, I'm objective ! :D
Besides, he called Bukowski a jerk in one of his songs, ha ha ha ! :D

That's an extended version of Stagger Lee, who's actually a 4/5 minutes song. You can hear the studio version in the album untitled Murder ballads, which is a masterpiece of black humour portraying jerks whose hobbies are killing, killing and killing.
http://www.musicme.com/#/Nick-Cave/albums/Murder-Ballads-5016025611386.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back