What are you listening to? The world needs to know. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry Chronic, but I did have you in mind when I linked that Codeine song. I guess I did go a little bit overboard. I must be KWAAAAAZY!!!

Prince - "Musicology" for some reason, I think that was the last good album he made. Well, sure not all were good, but the last 3 were just horrible. I found "Musicology" to be quite good and caught him on that tour. Pretty good, I thought.

after that, I will listen to

I'm sorry that both of the links are videos from some amateur-kids.
I just couldn't find any official video of these songs at youtube.
So, for all the purists among us, I'd recommend to either close your eyes while listening to these fantastic songs from the links or try to find them as mp3 somewhere.

Artist: Ernest Ranglin
Track: Psychedelic Rock
Album:Sounds & Power

I am completely hooked on Ranglin now-a-days.
He has such a wide variety styles.
On each album I find tracks that surprise me and sound like nothing I've ever heard before!
And he has tons of backlog albums which should make him interesting to collect.

Anybody out there have some old Ranglin albums?:)

Various versions of Sympathy for the Devil...

Rolling Stones
GnR
Black Crowes
Dave Matthews
Pearl Jam

good stuff when you're bored and socially inept.

Anybody out there have some old Ranglin albums?
He played on hundreds of records in the rocksteady (early reggae) days, many times uncredited (since he was a session musician). They didn't make albums in Jamaica in those days, so it was all singles. Good luck collecting all that. ;)

Yeah, I know, and he's played on loads of jazz records as well.
Just imagine coming from all those rocksteady sessions on Jamaica and being booked as the resident guitarist at http://www.ronniescotts.co.uk/about/ jazz club in London. And isn't that his guitar on
Not to mention . What a contrast to jazz at Ronnie Scott's!

He's worked a lot with Monty Alexander over the years, like here: http://montyalexander.com/rocksteady/index.html
He jumps from reggae to .
He's even done the reggae with drum machines that you hate.;)
Always in a no nonsense playful way and he's not afraid to do things simple.
Reminds me of Grant Green in that aspect.
Did Green ever do any reggae?

Oh oh.
Link crazy!
Ahhh!
I'm stuck in a Ranglin loop on Youtube!:cool:

And Also The Trees
...latest release, "When The Rains Come", kind of an acoustic "best of", just great. Most likely will end up in my personal top 5 of 2009, along with SoiSong - xAj3z, Sieben - As They Should Sound or Current 93 - Aleph At The Hallucinatory Mountain...

Yeah, I know, and he's played on loads of jazz records as well.
Just imagine coming from all those rocksteady sessions on Jamaica and being booked as the resident guitarist at http://www.ronniescotts.co.uk/about/ jazz club in London.
Well, the people who were involved in establishing that particular Jamaican sound early on were usually jazz musicians. If they were formally trained, anyway. The yard-schooled musicians played mento or one of the other Caribbean variations on that style.

But Ranglin was the mentor and inspiration to all of the early reggae guitarists; Chinna Smith, Hux Brown, Tony Chin, Peter Tosh... Bob Marley always named Ranglin when interviewers asked him who the top Jamaican musicians were. Ranglin played on quite a few early Wailers records.

All of those early guys were very versatile. It wasn't until the rocksteady era that young musicians who were schooled playing strictly Jamaican sounds started to dominate the scene. But even then, many of the musicians came up through the Alpha Boys School, where they were taught music in a more traditional way.

Joy Division.
You could have developed a little more. :D

Just now :

86h5xeg.jpg

The Pink Spiders...Kinda like the Beatles and Nirvana having a baby....Though of course, they are nowhere near as good as either of them...but still good catchy punk, with lots of pop.
pinkspiders.jpg

Hey hoochmonkey, thanks for that! I actually had never heard of them before. I just checked that out on youtube and also some of their other stuff. You were right. I liked it, i'll have to check out more of them for sure.

Were you familiar with the pink spiders, or did you recommend that based on the nirvana, beatles thing I mentioned?

no, I had to look them up. I listened to a few things on their myspace page. but I immediately thought of The Exploding Hearts. unfortunately, 3 of the 4 members died when their van flipped a few years ago.

There's a pretty good band from Chicago called "Company of Thieves".

This is a video from when they were guests on Daryl Hall's web-show. He shares vocals with Genevieve and it all sounds good because, uh, he didn't write the song.

[This video is unavailable.]

She's got a distinctive voice. She should stop imitating whatever singer she's imitating (can't put a name to the voice at the moment, but you probably know who it is) and let loose.

Daryl Hall, what the fuck. Desperately clinging to a shred of relevance, is he? Well, that didn't suck anyway. But like you said, mainly due to the fact that he was just a sideman on the song.

She's got a distinctive voice. She should stop imitating whatever singer she's imitating (can't put a name to the voice at the moment, but you probably know who it is) and let loose.
I believe you were thinking at Bjärk.

Last edited by a moderator:
She should stop imitating whatever singer she's imitating ....

You know, I thought that same thing when I first heard her. Seems like it MIGHT be Bjork, but then again I'm starting to wonder.... Is it just that general school of breathy-yet-brash female vocals that Alanis Morrisette founded in the mid-90's ? They seem to want to stretch themselves on every song - from vulnerable, cooing-into-my-diary sentiments to HAND ME THE EMASCULATION SCISSORS NOW threats to former lovers.

Maybe I'm getting old but wasn't songwriting supposed to be about THE SONG instead of the acrobatics a singer could pull off ?

Damn kids. Get the hell off my lawn.....

31WBN2NV2EL._SL500_AA170_.jpg

One of my favorite albums, though I can't listen to it very often. Lennon's best solo album by far.

No. Go make me a sandwich, sweetheart. I'm busy doing man things.
Watching the Jerry Springer Show, a "man thing" ? Really ?
Why don't you ask one of your five boyfriends ?

I'm listening to Jeff Buckley's "Grace", which is celebrating its 15th birthday.
I've read that the guy from "Twilight" is said to play Buckley in a possible biopic. :(
They're talking about a biopic since maybe a decade, now. Many actors have been evoked, such as Brad Pitt, James Franco, Jared Leto, etc. I hope the project to which the "Twilight" boy is associated will be given up.

Yeah - I can see that similarity too.

Ambreen - Re: the bio-pic, I think the kid from Twilight would be a good match physically. But did you actually try to watch that film ? My God - that was easily the worst film I've seen in 10 years. And I'm not sure he was just a good actor trapped in a bad script, either.

Also let me ask this: Does Jeff Buckley really deserve a bio-pic ? He was a terrific singer with a pretty face who died young. But what did he write ? Did he write anything that "defined" the 90's ? Did he change the music of his generation ? I think Cobain did. (And Gus Van Sant created a perfect "bio-pic" for him, in my opinion). I'm not too familiar with Buckley's stuff, so help me out here....

not for nothin', but Buckley's Grace is one of my fav pop albums from the '90s.

good review of it here.

Ambreen - Re: the bio-pic, I think the kid from Twilight would be a good match physically.
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo !

But did you actually try to watch that film ?
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo !

Also let me ask this: Does Jeff Buckley really deserve a bio-pic ? He was a terrific singer with a pretty face who died young. But what did he write ? Did he write anything that "defined" the 90's ? Did he change the music of his generation ? I think Cobain did. (And Gus Van Sant created a perfect "bio-pic" for him, in my opinion).
I won't say that Buckley defined the 90s but he definitely marked this decade. A lot of bands mentioned him as a decisive influence (I myself went to him a first time through...Muse :D), especially the ones doing melancholic pop. He somehow reminds me of Nick Drake...
And I don't think that only the people who have changed the course of Humanity deserve to be the subject of a biopic.

"Last Days", yeah, a fucking "biopic". I was then very close from a guy who is nodoubt Buckley fan n°1 and while he was asserting that he would be the best person to embody his idol in a biopic, I was thinking to Michael Pitt that I had just seen in Gus Van Sant's movie.

I'm not too familiar with Buckley's stuff, so help me out here....
He only made one studio album. He died while recording the second one. You could try "Sketches for my sweetheart the drunk", which will give you an idea of how this latter would have sounded.

1219331457.jpg

Oh, and his lives are all excellent !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back