What are you listening to? The world really needs to know. #7 (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember seeing Billy Childish's Hangman Press books with their woodcut prints while scouring London bookshops for Bukowski. The books always went back on the shelf. The misspelling seemed affected.

Temperatures drop with altitude and there is a good argument that he was higher than most!
Or his pole shimmy caused chaffing??

On another note thanks for the 5 8 77 lead. I found a recording that I plan to run to after work today.

This is an older song on the CD-best CD of the year. Bet it stays best till December. An amazing collection. Blues and Ballads
He is quite simply on another plane

I know that Grateful Dead don't get much love 'round these parts, but the late '70s versions of traditional ballads such as Peggy-O are a favorite of mine. Jerry throws in a really tasteful solo from 3:10-5:28:

[This video is unavailable.]

Earth, Wind & Fire's Maurice White dead at 74.

Feel it!

That dry and flat but funky dual guitar opening of Shining Star had to impress certain young Minneapolis guitar players.

But only one would grow up to wear women's make-up and embrace the Jehovah's Witnesses.

The other changed his name to Prince !

Small Potatoes. Gale Garnett, who, if you're old enough, you'll remember from We'll Sing In The Sunshine in the mid-60s. Keep an eye out for the flop sweat at 1:45.

The video is interesting because it's for a Cinebox Scopitone machine, which was a jukebox that played films. In the 60s!

Here's another one, for the kids.

"Man, I don't know what to do when you're filming us!"
"Just stand there with your dick showing through the tight white pants, it's perfect."

The Cinebox Scopitone story is worth reading. A little slice of music history.

The problem is, if you are looking for videos, some of the best performances aren't available, and as far as audio only is concerned, many of the best shows or even shows with great moments (which is where I listen - I'm a moment type) have been officially released, so the free internet sources are not generally available at the following sites:

Relisten to the Grateful Dead

Internet Archive

I've sent you an IM with a link to the Steve Hoffman forums, which is rich with mucho information. For the sake of others here who don't dig on this shit, I'd rather not clutter the forum with GD recommendations.

But here's a '73 show that's right up there and with a highlight during the first set Big River @45:21-46:09. Jerry absolutely smokes his second solo.

Plus you get, as a second set:
Playing In The Band
Row Jimmy
El Paso
Loose Lucy
Truckin'
Drums
The Other One
Wharf Rat
Me And Bobby McGee
Casey Jones

And speaking of Slade, it occurred to me today that I'd seen them once, in May of 1976, along with these guys. Aerosmith was the headliner.

Later that same month, Thin Lizzy played in St. Paul again, with Rush, Blue Oyster Cult and REO Speedwagon. But that's how touring went in those days. No rhyme or reason.

I didn't go to that one because I hated all those other bands, and I'd already had to sit through REO Speedwagon half a dozen times at other concerts. I ended up going to see Rush the next year anyway, I guess it was impossible to avoid them. I think a girl I was running around with wanted to go. Unfortunately for them, that Rush show was a couple weeks after Led Zeppelin played two nights in a row (the second night I was almost crushed by a stampeding crowd at the lower entrance to the arena), so the poor bastards could hardly live up to that.

A week or two after that Aerosmith/Slade/Thin Lizzy show in '76 I bought the first Ramones album, so as far as I was concerned the ROCK STARS were already going extinct anyway. It took 25 or 30 years for me to appreciate them again.

Now you know...the rest of the story!

[... in May of 1976, along with these guys. Aerosmith was the headliner...]
A week or two after that Aerosmith/Slade/Thin Lizzy show in '76 I bought the first Ramones album, so as far as I was concerned the ROCK STARS were already going extinct anyway. It took 25 or 30 years for me to appreciate them again.
That line up with guitarists Scott Gorham and Brian Robertson was the best, I think. Robertson missed out on the second U.S tour Thin Lizzy did with Queen. Mentioned it before somewhere, he got into a fight and sustained a hand injury in a London club; Frankie Miller was about to get hit over the head with a bottle, I think Miller's head would have been less damaged than Brian's hand, but there's the breaks. Funny bit in this exercpt from Brian May's Biography - where Scott Gorham is describing Lizzy's tour in the U.S and talking about a lemon: About the fifth page down or so.

Listened to this album on a recommendation. I wasn't keen on all of it, but the ballads are lovely
Miloš Karadaglić Blackbird: The Beatles Album:

I'm down with anyone who wants to do roots reggae records in this day and age, but someone needs to teach that girl to never, ever do a duet with a vastly superior singer.

She reminds me of a reggae singer in Los Angeles in the 80s, Zema. Not real solid in the vocals, but she had a wicked Jamaican band...and a really interesting story.

[This video is unavailable.]
(Zema - Selassie - Zema LP 1986 - Dj VROOTS)

Just looked her up and she's still doing gigs...

10408120_10153178632174448_6972633980864489184_n.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back